Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Costco winter gas - poor mpg?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
BackCountry is on a distinguished road

BackCountry's Tacoma Gallery
Costco winter gas - poor mpg?

Hey Folks,

I haven't given much thought to gas quality and I'm still getting to know this truck, however lately I have been giving a lot of thought to gas mileage.

I'm not much of a number cruncher and I haven't been very diligent with tracking my KM's to Litres. However I know that I usually get around 425ish KM on a tank, and that's with about 12 litres left.

Lately I've been filling at Costco because it's close and usually about 5 cents cheaper. After my most recent fill, I noticed my MPG was suddenly very poor and I had to re-fill before 350km. On suspicious of gas, I filled at Shell and I'm now on track for one of my best ever mpg/tanks.

Highly anecdotal at best. But a little googling seems to suggest that Costco gas especially the winter formula has lots of ethanol and can be a cause of poor gas mileage.

I'm assuming Costco must have recently switched over to a winter formula? Anyone else notice a sudden big difference in their gas?

I did recently have a o2 sensor replaced, but the extreme drop was a few fills after.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I usually get 425 kms when the light comes on , but I haven't used the Costco gas , but my best mileage has always been with the Shell 91
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Costco and Sam's/Walmart are going to run a higher ethanol content since it's a cheap octane booster.

I've had Costco summer gas "turn" in 3 months stored in jugs for my dirtbike.
Dad used to have a 5 gallon jug for the mower that he'd refill maybe once every 2 years back in the 70s.
Back to my dirtbikes, Chevron holds for 6 months without problems.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
gotta love that winter blend....
I have had this problem with my 2010 Subaru... the 12taco seems to be less picky....
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I get gas at the same places all year long...... WaWa and Turkey Hill.

Winter gas blends are different than summer gas blends.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...mmer-fuel1.htm

My truck will lose 2mpg every winter....no matter what gas I use. I will run 17-18mpg in the summer and 15-17 in the winter. And no...it does not have anything to do with 'warming' the truck up.

For some reason, I think Toyota's (our trucks - or atleast mine) gets worse mileage in winter. My husbands Acura isn't affected by the gas. ????
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
I fill up at Costco exclusively;
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vicali/tacoma/fuelchart

Strikes and gutters
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I hate Costco gas. I would fill up there occasionally but a couple of years ago I filled up about 2/3 of a tank right before a trip to Yellowstone and haven't been back since. About 40 miles into the trip my engine developed a knock and was idling really rough, scared the crap out of me. My usual Yellowstone route takes almost a full tank of gas and I would usually just have my town in sight when my low fuel light went on. Well this trip it came on 40 miles early. I ran around the next day trying to burn off as much of the gas as I safely could and then went to an ethanol free station and filled up with premium. Truck started to run like normal almost instantly and that was the last time I bought gas from Costco. And that was with regular, summer blend!

That being said all winter blend gas sucks and I see about a 10 to 15% drop in gas mileage every winter.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Dave Russell is on a distinguished road
Dave Russell's Tacoma Gallery
Winter mileage

I'm not up on winter/summer gas but I keep track of my mileage and when I switch over to winter tires it goes from 23-24 down to 19-20 MPG. My winter rubber is Toyo Open Country MTs 245/75/16. Summer I run Yokohama Parada 265/50/20's. I always buy gas at the same co-op. My Taco is a 07 extra cab 4x4 V6 6 sp. I run the tires at the same pressure winter/summer so I'm guessing the difference may be the rubber compound and the tread design. This pattern has repeated for 3 years now and the change happens with the first fill up after the tire swap. That's my 2 bits worth.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
I'm not up on winter/summer gas but I keep track of my mileage and when I switch over to winter tires it goes from 23-24 down to 19-20 MPG. My winter rubber is Toyo Open Country MTs 245/75/16. Summer I run Yokohama Parada 265/50/20's. I always buy gas at the same co-op. My Taco is a 07 extra cab 4x4 V6 6 sp. I run the tires at the same pressure winter/summer so I'm guessing the difference may be the rubber compound and the tread design. This pattern has repeated for 3 years now and the change happens with the first fill up after the tire swap. That's my 2 bits worth.
My truck is an 07 and is totally stock.....and I've had it since new.

Every year / winter ...doesn't matter where I get my gas or what tires I've been running (on my 2nd set of tires)....the mileage always drops 2-3mpg with the winter gas. Doesn't matter what octane I use or what tire pressure I run...... I'm accepted it 'as normal' for this truck. And believe me, I don't understand it either. I've never had a vehicle that was affected by gas like this one has.