Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Vancouver Island Trails and Camping

Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Vancouver Island Trails and Camping

I have traded in my 06 DCLB TRD Sport for a 2013 and have not yet put a lift in it. I started looking through a Backroad Mapbook for places to go exploring that are stock-friendly, but around Nanaimo, FSR's (Forest Service Roads) are almost always locked. It sucks. Most local off-roading trails are too wild for stock suspensions and no winches so I'm pretty much SOL.

I thought I'd start a thread where people on Vancouver Island can upload maps and share trails, accessible FSR's, or cool backcountry vehicle accessible camping areas.

Sorry I don't have any to share myself, but I'm hoping people can start to share some of their knowledge to get more of us out there enjoying our trucks.

Thanks for any contributions - maps, coordinates, trailhead photos etc are appreciated. I hope this works.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
lots of un-locked areas up here Campbell River way. Once you pretty much get North of the city the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Menzies mountain is one I can think of on the op of my head. Theres an old logging road that goes a way up the mountain to some sweet lookouts over Campbell River and the Sayward Valley. There are some larger cross-ditches and loose large boulders towards the top, but i think i stock truck could do it fairly easily in 4low going slow.

To get there head North out of Campbell River on hwy 19 about 30km, and there will be a road on your right shortly after you pass Sues Bakery.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBrutal View Post
lots of un-locked areas up here Campbell River way. Once you pretty much get North of the city the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Menzies mountain is one I can think of on the op of my head. Theres an old logging road that goes a way up the mountain to some sweet lookouts over Campbell River and the Sayward Valley. There are some larger cross-ditches and loose large boulders towards the top, but i think i stock truck could do it fairly easily in 4low going slow.

To get there head North out of Campbell River on hwy 19 about 30km, and there will be a road on your right shortly after you pass Sues Bakery.
Awesome. I want to get up to that area on a 3 day weekend this summer.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
airforcetacoma is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Air Force: pilot 443 (MH) Sqn
Name: riley
airforcetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
beauty!

Just bought a 2012 4door v6 6spd 4x4 tacoma and will be looking to find some trails soon, im in esquimalt but have some friends that off road all the time, as soon as I find some decent places Ill post em up
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforcetacoma View Post
Just bought a 2012 4door v6 6spd 4x4 tacoma and will be looking to find some trails soon, im in esquimalt but have some friends that off road all the time, as soon as I find some decent places Ill post em up
Perfect. Congrats on the truck.