Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Stupid Stop

Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Smart Stop won't help you if you mistake the gas for the brake.

The brake override logic is not intrusive at all. For normal usage (starting on a hill, holding the brakes at a dragstrip while you rev the engine), the brakes are always applied first before you step on the gas.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
What's it doing exactly on the boat ramp? I can't understand why you'd need to hold gas and brake? It's never once in 25,000 miles affected me in my normal driving situations. If you're touching the brake and the gas at the same time in an auto, aren't you trying to stop or hold it stopped? Not trying to argue, I just can't figure out why you'd need your feet on both pedals simultaneously.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
there is one reason

Actually 2, that reason ^^, and if you get in a position where your open diff is making you lose power to the wheel that has most traction and you're just spinning then you can either set the e-brake a little or you can press the brake pedal a little to see if that ail help send the power to the wheel that needs it.

I don't want a nanny like that on my truck either, it's just stupid.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
This is another way to stop the idiots from using more than one floor mat in their car from killing themselves. You've seen the news stories. Throttle gets stuck and person crashes because they couldn't stop the car/turn off the engine (push button vehicles).

They're too stupid to realize that you put the car in neutral and pull over then stop. Who cares if your engine grenades.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
if you get in a position where your open diff is making you lose power to the wheel that has most traction and you're just spinning then you can either set the e-brake a little or you can press the brake pedal a little to see if that ail help send the power to the wheel that needs it.
Toyota already does that automatically. It's called Auto-LSD.

I tried it off the line on wet pavement once (hit the VSC button once to disable Trac and enable Auto-LSD) - when the Auto-LSD engages, it's like a kick in the back.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Toyota already does that automatically. It's called Auto-LSD.

I tried it off the line on wet pavement once (hit the VSC button once to disable Trac and enable Auto-LSD) - when the Auto-LSD engages, it's like a kick in the back.
Auto LSD uses the computer and wheel speed sensors to work, so it's complicated, and when i've seen it work (off-road) it's very jerky, when you just use the brake (manually actuated) it's smoother and you have more control over it.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #27
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
When you use the brake, you are braking both the slipping wheel and the wheel with traction, where as auto LSD brakes only the slipping wheel.

Auto LSD doesn't activate in 4lo (at least not from the factory), so where have you seen it work off road?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
I don't drive with two feet but I do race my truck and to gain power I will hit the brake and gas and get the rpms up for a launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold McCanick View Post
It is the silly safety feature that kills the power if you drive with two feet.The unintended consequence is it makes slippery boat ramps impossible.
Yes boat ramps would be another great example along with hills and off roading.

Exactly:
Quote:
Smart Stop won't help you if you mistake the gas for the brake.

The brake override logic is not intrusive at all. For normal usage (starting on a hill, holding the brakes at a dragstrip while you rev the engine), the brakes are always applied first before you step on the gas.
But as someone mentioned it doesn't kick in unless your above 5 mph. Because I have had to spin my tires and I just turn off the traction control, vsc and stuff with the button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
What's it doing exactly on the boat ramp? I can't understand why you'd need to hold gas and brake? I just can't figure out why you'd need your feet on both pedals simultaneously.
When im at the boat ramp I don't want to go backwards so I hold the brake and apply throttle to ease my self out without putting to much power, if I use one foot I take the foot of the brake and it will slide back then when you hit the gas your putting power to a truck that getting pulled backwards. Its nice relief to ensure you don't end up at the end of the boat ramp
Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Auto LSD uses the computer and wheel speed sensors to work, so it's complicated, and when i've seen it work (off-road) it's very jerky, when you just use the brake (manually actuated) it's smoother and you have more control over it.
I've only ever heard of people doing this with mechanical LSDs which require a little bit of resistance to send power back over to the other side. I'm fairly certain this is how HMMWVs are meant to be drivin using Torsen diffs at each axle.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I've only ever heard of people doing this with mechanical LSDs which require a little bit of resistance to send power back over to the other side. I'm fairly certain this is how HMMWVs are meant to be drivin using Torsen diffs at each axle.
No the ebrake trick definitely works with open diffs. It pretty much simulates an LSD.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #31
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
When im at the boat ramp I don't want to go backwards so I hold the brake and apply throttle to ease my self out without putting to much power, if I use one foot I take the foot of the brake and it will slide back then when you hit the gas your putting power to a truck that getting pulled backwards. Its nice relief to ensure you don't end up at the end of the boat ramp
If you hold the brakes, then apply the throttle, Smart Stop doesn't intrude. So what's the problem?

Smart Stop's only real function is to allow you to quickly cut the throttle if the gas pedal is stuck. Traditional methods like turning off the ignition or shifting to neutral leave you with no power-assist for the brakes.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #32
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I do this on my steep driveway when parked. If I want to pull into the garage, I don't want to roll backward & I don't want to goose it forward since the fit it tight in my garage. Right foot on brake, pop into drive, left foot disengages parking brake, left foot on brake, right foot eases onto gas & then left foot off the brake for an easy no-strain drive up the driveway.

Smart stop wouldn't keep me from doing this.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you use the brake, you are braking both the slipping wheel and the wheel with traction, where as auto LSD brakes only the slipping wheel.

Auto LSD doesn't activate in 4lo (at least not from the factory), so where have you seen it work off road?
Yep, but even though it takes more power to move the truck when you use the brakes instead of traction control it's a smoother application of the braking force, which means that the tire with more grip is less likely to be "snapped" making it lose traction.

In videos, ARB has a good one that demonstrates the traction control off road.

EDIT: this video, starting at 2:40 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKnswM
Old 10-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if the ABS kill switch mod would disable this so called feature when engaged.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In videos, ARB has a good one that demonstrates the traction control off road.
The video isn't showing auto LSD, it's showing A-Trac, which is electronically simulating a locker. A-Trac isn't as smooth as a locker, but it will get the vehicle through the obstacle most of the time. Applying brakes manually like you suggested wouldn't have let that Prado past the obstacle.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you hold the brakes, then apply the throttle, Smart Stop doesn't intrude. So what's the problem?

Smart Stop's only real function is to allow you to quickly cut the throttle if the gas pedal is stuck. Traditional methods like turning off the ignition or shifting to neutral leave you with no power-assist for the brakes.
True I did'nt think about power-assist for the brakes good thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I do this on my steep driveway when parked. If I want to pull into the garage, I don't want to roll backward & I don't want to goose it forward since the fit it tight in my garage. Right foot on brake, pop into drive, left foot disengages parking brake, left foot on brake, right foot eases onto gas & then left foot off the brake for an easy no-strain drive up the driveway.

Smart stop wouldn't keep me from doing this.
Haha glad im not the only one! it feels more secure when I do it that way cause I won't slide back and hit my trash cans and stuff.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #37
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
The way to disable it is to stop driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. There is absolutely no reason to drive like that.
Gotta love the idiots riding down the road w/ their brake lights on

Guess my poor mans locker trick wont work anymore on new trucks
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #38
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if it's the traction control thats kicking in, instead of SS.

When rolling backwards while in forward gear(drive or 4,3,2,1), something kicks in, not sure what. Whatever it is, it pulses brakes like abs, forcefully enough to stall motor.
Example: when four wheeling, climbing a hill, i didn't quite make it to the top, I released brake pedal, but left in 1st gear(auto), and after traveling five feet backwards, something engaged brakes enough to stall motor and scare the crap out of me.
I can recreate same effect in my driveway, just by letting truck roll backwards while in forward gear. It's very unnerving, it kicks in so hard that it stalls or nearly stalls motor.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Off road I use brake and gas at the same time a lot. Never had a problem with the nannies turned off.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #40
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
I'm wondering if it's the traction control thats kicking in, instead of SS.

When rolling backwards while in forward gear(drive or 4,3,2,1), something kicks in, not sure what. Whatever it is, it pulses brakes like abs, forcefully enough to stall motor.
Example: when four wheeling, climbing a hill, i didn't quite make it to the top, I released brake pedal, but left in 1st gear(auto), and after traveling five feet backwards, something engaged brakes enough to stall motor and scare the crap out of me.
I can recreate same effect in my driveway, just by letting truck roll backwards while in forward gear. It's very unnerving, it kicks in so hard that it stalls or nearly stalls motor.
I believe that's part of the trans deign. My '06 does it coming back down steep inclines you dont make it up. My truck has none of that crazy TC junk, ABS disabled.