Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Stupid Stop

Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Harold McCanick is on a distinguished road
Name: Harold
Harold McCanick's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid Stop

I ride motorcycles and use both feet to do it. I ride Jetskis and use both feet.I fly airplanes,this takes both hands,both feet,your mouth,both ears and a whole lot of thought.Now Toyota and probably the federal government has decided I can't drive with both feet.Get out of my truck,BOTH of you!Smart Stop is stupid.Please tell me how to disable this worthless feature.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
what is smart stop? Is it the thing that prevents brake stand burnouts?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
what is smart stop? Is it the thing that prevents brake stand burnouts?
X2 idk what it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
You can drive with both feet, but they should not be used at the same time.

Do you have a habit of riding the brake on previous vehicles?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
PBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura aboutPBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
PBR Streetgang's Tacoma Gallery
The way to disable it is to stop driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. There is absolutely no reason to drive like that.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
It is the silly safety feature that kills the power if you drive with two feet.The unintended consequence is it makes slippery boat ramps impossible.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
The way to disable it is to stop driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. There is absolutely no reason to drive like that.
there is one reason

Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold McCanick View Post
It is the silly safety feature that kills the power if you drive with two feet.The unintended consequence is it makes slippery boat ramps impossible.
I have never had a problem or a need to use 2 feet on boat ramps. just move your foot faster.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
Hey Andrew,We can compare driving records and maintenance records if you like,the point remains I don't need you or Toyota telling me how to drive.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Awe the fun with new vehicles. Find the relay and rip it out.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
You wanted to launch the truck or somethin
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! I don't think there is anyway to disable that feature.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
I wish it were that easy.Apparently it is programmed into the software.I would gladly pay to have it deprogrammed.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Smart Stop does not engage when the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal, a feature that allows a driver to keep a foot on the brake to prevent roll-back when pulling away from a stop on a hill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5q1tOLoR8
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Welcome to TW! I don't think there is anyway to disable that feature.
Dear Chris,I am told by a Toyota Tech it can be done but Toyota will know about it and they will void the warranty.My offer stands.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
... Throttle activation first and it only operates at above 5 MPH and/or 1/3 throttle opening.

Good find Chris.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold McCanick View Post
"Smart Stop" is simply a marketing spin on the brake override ECM logic Toyota added in 2011.

If you press the brakes first, then hit the gas, the override doesn't kick in:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...ridesystem.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
It's in the ECM logic. If you got the pedal chop recall, the dealer would have flashed the ECM with it, too.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I would loose it.
There is no way I will buy a vehicle that does this.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
This is what the disclosure says.

Smart Stop Technology operates only in the event of certain simultaneous brake and accelerator pedal applications. When engaged, the system will reduce power to help the brakes bring the vehicle to a stop. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver input can all impact stopping distance. Smart Stop Technology is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving and does not guarantee instant stopping. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.

Not to start anything but haven't you seen the news cast 72 year old has mistaken the gas for the break.

If I remember correctly it used to be common place to use the left and right foot to drive. But if you dislike that feature on your new pick-up truck trade it in and buy an older model.

My driving record is spotless, I drive for a living ,ride motorcycles , and I am licensed to drive anything on the road.