Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Tacoma Tow Package

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
vansrv7a is on a distinguished road
vansrv7a's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Tow Package

Good Day Folks,

I'm looking at buying my first truck. I have my eye set on a used Tacoma 4X4 TRD Sport Crew Cab.

I understand that the standard tow package is for 6500lbs. Is it possible to get an upgrade to tow heavier loads? I'm looking at buying a 28' boat as well. Dry weight is 6510lbs, so you can see once I add in the trailer and "wet" considerations I'm probably upwards of 8000-10000lbs towing weight.

Thanks

Chris
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
6500 is the upgraded tow package. The standard tow rating of these trucks is 3500.

My opinion, you can't safely stop a 10000 pound load with a truck this small.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
WoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Warrant Officer
Name: Peter
WoadWunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastcowboy View Post
6500 is the upgraded tow package. The standard tow rating of these trucks is 3500.

My opinion, you can't safely stop a 10000 pound load with a truck this small.
I agree, brakes and stopping would be the issue.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
You'd be better off in a Tundra or some other full size.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
^This.

Very very dangerous to exceed the weight ratings on vehicles. These are generally the more interesting calls I get in my job.

Usually someone ends up buck ass naked on a spine board with an express trip to FootHills Emerge.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
For that amount of weight.... GET A FULLSIZE truck.

DO NOT even attempt to tow that much weight with a tacoma. It's extremely UNSAFE.

In fact, it's probably ILLEGAL. In my state of PA - you are given a registration based on your vehicles GVWR. If you are caught towing outside of your allowed 'registration' amount - TICKET!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go over weight!

You shouldn't go over the specified towing weight without a really good reason.

(Seriously though, you're going to want to tow with fuel, food, lifejackets, etc. You need a 3/4 ton truck at least.)
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Tow Package-toyota-tundra-pulling-shuttle-full.jpg