1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck purchase may be going south

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Knuckles, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Knuckles

Knuckles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    TRD blower, ARB winch bumper, XRC8 winch, OME 886/Dakar, pure sine wave 1000W Inverter, hood w/NO scoop.
    Well, I'm not mentioming any names here because this may all get resolved, but...

So, I had an agreed upon purchase price, had an agreed upon financing price, they have a deposit, all was well (only one minor hiccup till this point. The simply forgot tp include an extra I wanted, but the discounted it a little because of the oversight)...until I received more info regarding the financing.

The price per month increased by a tad over $100/mth ($7200 over the term). So I went onto Toyota Canada's website, priced out my truck, added all the add ons, and bam! there's the price it should be and the finance amount it should be.

The response I received when I showed them all this info is that they added on finance insurance (which I dont need and isn't mandatory), dealer fees (which arent mandatory and, according to law, had to be included in the 'all in' price quoted), and likely some other silliness like VIN etching (which isn't proven to do anything).

I'm fully expecting for this to all be resolved (they seem like a good dealer) but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...the entire "surprise, we added a bunch onto the price behind your back!"

I didn't really haggle on price. They get a minimum amount built into the price (about $500) when they buy the truck from Toyota, they get a few hundred for the financing, they get $600 for the ECP warranty, they get a bit on the accessories, then they make over $1500 in mark up on the truck because I didnt haggle, and they wont have to pay interest on the truck because its paid for as soon as it hits the lot. Don't stick me with hidden fees!!! I want them to make money, I want them to be around for my next Toyota purchase, you know. But come on.

Grrr.

I really hope this works out good, I'm sure I will love this truck, but I've owned an Xterra in the past, as well as a pathfinder and a maxima, and have had amazing success with the Nissan brand. But I really wanted to join the Tacoma cult...I even sipped the kool-aid a little and liked it a lot. And, no 6 speed in the new Frontiers :(

End rant.

2. Nov 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    Good luck, I hate hidden fees like that myself.

3. Nov 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM
    Knuckles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    TRD blower, ARB winch bumper, XRC8 winch, OME 886/Dakar, pure sine wave 1000W Inverter, hood w/NO scoop.
    Wellll...its not as bad as my 14th day on night shift, 14 more to go grumpy self thought. Its all getting worked out. Come on delivery date!

4. Nov 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Well, if they keep treating customers the way they are treating you, they won't be around for your next Tacoma. Maybe they shouldn't be involved in this purchase?!?:eek:There are other Toyota dealers!:thumbsup:

5. Nov 20, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    Knuckles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    Admittedly, I'm purchasing this truck while 700km away, working in a camp, and on nights. They are trying their best, and compared to another dealer I walked into (spent 25 minutes roaming around in, and then left with not even a hello) these guys are a dream team. But, I truly believe that when someone asks for an all in price, give him the all in price. I don't "do" admin fees, protection packages, or loan insurance...they should ask first. But it is their job to make the dealer as much as they can, and they make a comission doing so.

If all goes well I will be recommending them to others just based on how they make a guy feel within the first 15 seconds of walking into the dealer.

Time will tell....update to follow.

6. Nov 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    MACHINE

MACHINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Typical dealer behavior. When I bought my 13 I did the deal through email/phone correspondence. I specifically told them if there were any additional charges when I came into to sign I was walking out the door. It worked, but it is pathetic that we have to threaten them to not pull this sh1t.

7. Nov 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    drmcstford

drmcstford The Sauce Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner TRD OR
    Always ask for a complete Invoice! I asked for one when I purchased my 14 tacoma ! Showed a breakdown of the total amount!:cool:

8. Nov 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Every Stealership has hidden fee's. I bought mine used for 2300$ more than the ticket price posted on the truck in paper...that was because I came with 0$ down payment. awesome credit and ended with 8% interest.

Tacoma's use to be really affordable, but in modern times they have become THE ONLY mid-sized pickup that is worth half a shit compared to the domestic trash we use to drive.

So anyhow, please tell me you bought this truck.... and this is not a lease you signed?

9. Nov 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    Knuckles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    Yep, they are going to show me a complete invoice. I had them email everything to me, which they did, and I'm getting an alright deal considering what im buying. They'll still make about 3.5% on the truck (which is fair), $900 on the Extra Care Plan, $290 on the accessories, and whatever "dealer fee" they get out of me (probably end up at $300). All in all they will make almost $2700, but I will save $2500 off of Toyota's web price. I do have them doing some bs for me (swapping wheels and hood with another new vehicle for example)

I dont do leases...I normally stretch the finance term as long as the interest is reasonable and then overpay it to death (like if its a $650/mth payment I'll pay $1000/mth), save a pile in interest, and have it payed a few years sooner.

Hopefully I will be signing stuff in a couple weeks...

10. Nov 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM
    Knuckles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    Luckily I have family that owns a car dealer, other family that works for Toyota Corporate, and I've been employed in the auto industry as well (not sales though)...so I'm not really an ideal customer haha

Products Discussed in

To Top