Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Brake and gas pedal too close to each other

Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
AIME is on a distinguished road
Name: AIME
AIME's Tacoma Gallery
Brake and gas pedal too close to each other

When I apply my brake (2010 Tacoma SR5) I sometimes hit the gas pedal as well, as they are on the same plane (especially in winter when wearing large boots) Has anyone found a fix for this. Appreciate any comments.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
i wear wide skate shoes and big work boots and never had a problem. sounds like you just need to move your foot over more before braking.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Foot position. Ive done the same when going from wearing a tennis shoe to a work boot. Its not the truck, its you.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Pedals close together is good for enthusiast driving. I like the Tacoma's pedal positioning far better than some other cars I've driven (e.g. Cavalier) where the brake pedal sits a bit forward - always felt I'd miss the brake pedal in an emergency.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
My winter boots are size 16 Baffin .
Good for 150 below zero . When I wear them in the truck , I also have a difficult time with the gas and brake pedal .
The fix : take the boots off and use running shoes while driving the truck .
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
If big problem might be able to switch petal from manual trans. Not sure about 2nd gen. Worth checking?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Pedals close together is good for enthusiast driving. I like the Tacoma's pedal positioning far better than some other cars I've driven (e.g. Cavaliar) where the brake pedal sits a bit forward - always felt I'd miss the brake pedal in an emergency.
x2, I'm not sure if the second gen is similar but I love how close the throttle pedal is to the brake. It makes heel toe down shifting so much easier because you don't even have to rotate your foot.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
There's a loose nut behind the wheel.

If you switch that out, it usually works and sizes problem
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
You have metric system conversion pedals.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
gliderpilot is on a distinguished road
Name: Tex (Mike)
gliderpilot's Tacoma Gallery
After 30 years of driving manual transmissions (where my left foot was busy) I finally switched to an automatic transmission in my old 07 Tacoma. To keep my left foot active I use it for the brake pedal .... my right just for the gas pedal. Have adapted well with no issues on position of the two pedals. You might want to practice doing that.

Unfortunately my 2012 Tacoma (and I assume yours) has that sorry brake/gas pedal interaction that kills engine power if you hit them both at the same time, but I've gotten accustomed to it and have no problems.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
GreatCanadian is on a distinguished road
GreatCanadian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Foot position. Ive done the same when going from wearing a tennis shoe to a work boot. Its not the truck, its you.
I wear big winter boots, and don't have this issue in my wife's Honda Civic, or my Mitsu Outlander. I do have it in my truck. So I would have to respectfully disagree and throw my support behind the OP on this one.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
After 30 years of driving manual transmissions (where my left foot was busy) I finally switched to an automatic transmission in my old 07 Tacoma. To keep my left foot active I use it for the brake pedal .... my right just for the gas pedal. Have adapted well with no issues on position of the two pedals. You might want to practice doing that.

Unfortunately my 2012 Tacoma (and I assume yours) has that sorry brake/gas pedal interaction that kills engine power if you hit them both at the same time, but I've gotten accustomed to it and have no problems.
This is what I do. Left foot braking.

Makes you a far smoother driver.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Slizzy will become famous soon enough

Slizzy's Tacoma Gallery
I agree but I like the point KenLyns made.

My fishing wading boots are too big... Steering wheel could go higher while I'm at it too
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #16
Working at the Nauga Ranch
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I wear Sorels most of the time during the winter months. No problems
Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #17
Slizzy will become famous soon enough

Slizzy's Tacoma Gallery
Small feet = no problems haha Jk
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
just today, with my 1st Gen, i came to a stop sign and my engine was revving like mad;
i thought "What the..." for a split-second; but, yeah... foot was slightly on the gas pedal while i was holding the brake

it's only happened to me a couple times, though
and i always wear logger boots
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
tracker is on a distinguished road

tracker's Tacoma Gallery
Been there done that while yote hunting. Slammed on brakes and gas pedal same time and ended up in ditch. The harder I pressed the faster I went. Good news is it was in deep snow and no damage so back to what I was doing. My fix was to buy narrow huntin boots or go back to a GMC.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a problem wearing my steel toe boots for work (size 12) and driving my 6 speed. The brake and clutch are quite close. I just wear my sneakers and change into my boots at work now, that was my solution.