1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X Runner in Canada for 2014 year, why?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sterdog, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Apr 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yesteday I drove to Cochrane Toyota just outside of Calgary, three hours from my driveway, to have a supercharger installed in my truck. The dealership was awesome and the finance manager lent me his Caddy to drive into Calgary for the day. Anyways point is when I pulled back into the dealer they had what looked like a lowered and pretty'd up Tacoma access cab. I decided to take a closer look since my truck was still in there wash bay and low and behold, it was a 2014 X Runner.

One of the mechanics asked me if I wanted to look at it, I said no but he filled me in on why they had a 2014 X Runner on lot. It turns out that all Toyota dealers were given the option of ordering one X Runner this year. Since Cochrane Toyota likes to call themselves Tacoma Town they took Toyota up on the offer...

I'm just curious, what do you think about bringing the X Runner into Canada for sale as a new vehicle? IMHO a 2WD lower clearance truck is more of a PIT than a good idea given the condition of our roads and hiways, but what do you think? Plus the fact it'd be uncontrollable on ice with most tires on it, I can't see why someone would pay more for one over a SR5 or TRD Sport...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Apr 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Paging Marcelus :drevil:

3. Apr 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    He has not been on ina while.

But to the OP, you guys have cars up their correct? I bet the xr sits higher than my stock civic

4. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    LOL, yes we have cars, but those poor fools have to dodge around the potholes. A big part of having a truck for most people is just driving in the middle of your lane no matter what shape the road is in. Oh, and being able to get to work when there is a foot of snow on the ground since it's rarely cleared from most residential streets.

So like I said, around here if you lived here why would you buy an X Runner...

5. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Because racetruck..

6. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Brand new though? If you were going to gut it for weight and add a bunch of warrenty voiding parts why not import one used with low km's?

7. May 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    Kevindust

Kevindust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ottawa, Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 6M 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade BBM
    The "fact" you listed is simply not true, an X-Runner with winter tires will be as good as any other Tacoma in 2 wheel drive with comparable tires on ice. In addition, no one would need to pay more for an X Runner than a 4x4 SR5 or TRD Sport because it costs less. The X Runner has been unavailable in Canada for a few years and it's amazing that Toyota is offering it again. Sure, it's not for everybody but it's still a great truck.

8. May 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Plenty of Camaros and Mustangs sold in Canada, right? Equally uncontrollable in the snow.

9. May 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yes sir

Marcel had an X Runner till he rammed too many snow banks and logs

10. May 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The X-Runner they had on lot was supercharged with aftermarket tires. The price tag was just short of 40k, so yes it costs a shit load of money to drive that one off lot. More than a well equipped TRD Sport anyways.

There are very few 2WD trucks sold in Alberta compared to 4WD trucks. I'm not knocking people who do drive 2WD pickups, but they are simply less able to take on the challenging road conditions called Canada lol. Especially with less ground clearance. If you think an X Runner will handle large snow drifts well compared to a stock height Tacoma with no body kit to drag around, with even the best snow tires, well more power too you just don't forget your AMA card. As others have somewhat said, you'd probably be better off with the Camaro or Mustang if going low with one wheel rear wheel drive is your thing.

Anyways, none of the people who fought for the X-Runner are Canadian, so I guess I have my answer. Case closed.

11. May 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

My truck was over $40K , and Marcel is Canadian

12. Jun 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Toyota's market research can be strange sometimes, but they usually pan out from a business standpoint. Expect that X-Runner to sell, despite how illogical it might seem to you.

Isn't it funny how Toyota offers a stick in a pickup truck, but not in a sport-oriented sedan like the IS350? Consumer demand works in weird ways sometimes.

13. Jun 1, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    lol OK then.

Why not post in the The Canadian section or the Canadian be thread....or just pm broken tusk...who not only has a lowered xr but also a scion sc.

14. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    This is the Canadian section lol.

Anyways I'm glad to hear a few different opinions. Like I said, an x runner in my area simply does not make sense for me. Maybe in the city with some good tires or as a strictly summer vehicle it's great in Canada. Those are not things that appeal to me as a buyer though. Nor do they appeal to a lot of Canadians when they buy a truck.

15. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Not my fault that you got jacked :D

Plus the HST/PST? I can't believe the rest of the country has to pay 5-10 percent more on there vehicle over asking price than in Alberta...

16. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Marcel worked in the oil patch

17. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Taxes in , the rest of the country pays PST

I didn't get jacked , check out pricing on a new DCLB Sport

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    That encourages my point! Oil patch guys here own 2-4 trucks, simply because they have too much money and too little foresight. If you're gong to buy a few trucks, sure than the x runner makes sense. Just like how I get a free 3/4 ton from work so there's no sense in me buying a heavier personal truck like a tundra...

19. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Well , he doesn't , his other vehicle is a Scion

:yawn:

20. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Taxes in I paid 38 and a bit, I was able to get 2 grand off of a 36ish asking with freight in. You do automatically have to pay 2000 more than I do so that makes sense. Should of moved over here for a few months I guess (I'm just kidding, the coast is beautiful.)

Products Discussed in

To Top