Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

X Runner in Canada for 2014 year, why?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery

Yesteday I drove to Cochrane Toyota just outside of Calgary, three hours from my driveway, to have a supercharger installed in my truck. The dealership was awesome and the finance manager lent me his Caddy to drive into Calgary for the day. Anyways point is when I pulled back into the dealer they had what looked like a lowered and pretty'd up Tacoma access cab. I decided to take a closer look since my truck was still in there wash bay and low and behold, it was a 2014 X Runner.

One of the mechanics asked me if I wanted to look at it, I said no but he filled me in on why they had a 2014 X Runner on lot. It turns out that all Toyota dealers were given the option of ordering one X Runner this year. Since Cochrane Toyota likes to call themselves Tacoma Town they took Toyota up on the offer...

I'm just curious, what do you think about bringing the X Runner into Canada for sale as a new vehicle? IMHO a 2WD lower clearance truck is more of a PIT than a good idea given the condition of our roads and hiways, but what do you think? Plus the fact it'd be uncontrollable on ice with most tires on it, I can't see why someone would pay more for one over a SR5 or TRD Sport...
Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Paging Marcelus
Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
He has not been on ina while.

But to the OP, you guys have cars up their correct? I bet the xr sits higher than my stock civic
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
He has not been on ina while.

But to the OP, you guys have cars up their correct? I bet the xr sits higher than my stock civic
LOL, yes we have cars, but those poor fools have to dodge around the potholes. A big part of having a truck for most people is just driving in the middle of your lane no matter what shape the road is in. Oh, and being able to get to work when there is a foot of snow on the ground since it's rarely cleared from most residential streets.

So like I said, around here if you lived here why would you buy an X Runner...
Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterdog View Post
Yesteday I drove to Cochrane Toyota just outside of Calgary, three hours from my driveway, to have a supercharger installed in my truck. The dealership was awesome and the finance manager lent me his Caddy to drive into Calgary for the day. Anyways point is when I pulled back into the dealer they had what looked like a lowered and pretty'd up Tacoma access cab. I decided to take a closer look since my truck was still in there wash bay and low and behold, it was a 2014 X Runner.

One of the mechanics asked me if I wanted to look at it, I said no but he filled me in on why they had a 2014 X Runner on lot. It turns out that all Toyota dealers were given the option of ordering one X Runner this year. Since Cochrane Toyota likes to call themselves Tacoma Town they took Toyota up on the offer...

I'm just curious, what do you think about bringing the X Runner into Canada for sale as a new vehicle? IMHO a 2WD lower clearance truck is more of a PIT than a good idea given the condition of our roads and hiways, but what do you think? Plus the fact it'd be uncontrollable on ice with most tires on it, I can't see why someone would pay more for one over a SR5 or TRD Sport...
Because racetruck..
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
Because racetruck..
Brand new though? If you were going to gut it for weight and add a bunch of warrenty voiding parts why not import one used with low km's?
Old 05-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
Kevindust is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Kevindust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Plus the fact it'd be uncontrollable on ice with most tires on it, I can't see why someone would pay more for one over a SR5 or TRD Sport...
The "fact" you listed is simply not true, an X-Runner with winter tires will be as good as any other Tacoma in 2 wheel drive with comparable tires on ice. In addition, no one would need to pay more for an X Runner than a 4x4 SR5 or TRD Sport because it costs less. The X Runner has been unavailable in Canada for a few years and it's amazing that Toyota is offering it again. Sure, it's not for everybody but it's still a great truck.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of Camaros and Mustangs sold in Canada, right? Equally uncontrollable in the snow.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Plenty of Camaros and Mustangs sold in Canada, right? Equally uncontrollable in the snow.

Yes sir

Marcel had an X Runner till he rammed too many snow banks and logs
Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindust View Post
The "fact" you listed is simply not true, an X-Runner with winter tires will be as good as any other Tacoma in 2 wheel drive with comparable tires on ice. In addition, no one would need to pay more for an X Runner than a 4x4 SR5 or TRD Sport because it costs less. The X Runner has been unavailable in Canada for a few years and it's amazing that Toyota is offering it again. Sure, it's not for everybody but it's still a great truck.
The X-Runner they had on lot was supercharged with aftermarket tires. The price tag was just short of 40k, so yes it costs a shit load of money to drive that one off lot. More than a well equipped TRD Sport anyways.

There are very few 2WD trucks sold in Alberta compared to 4WD trucks. I'm not knocking people who do drive 2WD pickups, but they are simply less able to take on the challenging road conditions called Canada lol. Especially with less ground clearance. If you think an X Runner will handle large snow drifts well compared to a stock height Tacoma with no body kit to drag around, with even the best snow tires, well more power too you just don't forget your AMA card. As others have somewhat said, you'd probably be better off with the Camaro or Mustang if going low with one wheel rear wheel drive is your thing.

Anyways, none of the people who fought for the X-Runner are Canadian, so I guess I have my answer. Case closed.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The X-Runner they had on lot was supercharged with aftermarket tires. The price tag was just short of 40k, so yes it costs a shit load of money to drive that one off lot. More than a well equipped TRD Sport anyways.

There are very few 2WD trucks sold in Alberta compared to 4WD trucks. I'm not knocking people who do drive 2WD pickups, but they are simply less able to take on the challenging road conditions called Canada lol. Especially with less ground clearance. If you think an X Runner will handle large snow drifts well compared to a stock height Tacoma with no body kit to drag around, with even the best snow tires, well more power too you just don't forget your AMA card. As others have somewhat said, you'd probably be better off with the Camaro or Mustang if going low with one wheel rear wheel drive is your thing.

Anyways, none of the people who fought for the X-Runner are Canadian, so I guess I have my answer. Case closed.

My truck was over $40K , and Marcel is Canadian
Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota's market research can be strange sometimes, but they usually pan out from a business standpoint. Expect that X-Runner to sell, despite how illogical it might seem to you.

Isn't it funny how Toyota offers a stick in a pickup truck, but not in a sport-oriented sedan like the IS350? Consumer demand works in weird ways sometimes.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
lol OK then.

Why not post in the The Canadian section or the Canadian be thread....or just pm broken tusk...who not only has a lowered xr but also a scion sc.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
lol OK then.

Why not post in the The Canadian section or the Canadian be thread....or just pm broken tusk...who not only has a lowered xr but also a scion sc.
This is the Canadian section lol.

Anyways I'm glad to hear a few different opinions. Like I said, an x runner in my area simply does not make sense for me. Maybe in the city with some good tires or as a strictly summer vehicle it's great in Canada. Those are not things that appeal to me as a buyer though. Nor do they appeal to a lot of Canadians when they buy a truck.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My truck was over $40K , and Marcel is Canadian
Not my fault that you got jacked

Plus the HST/PST? I can't believe the rest of the country has to pay 5-10 percent more on there vehicle over asking price than in Alberta...
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the Canadian section lol.

Anyways I'm glad to hear a few different opinions. Like I said, an x runner in my area simply does not make sense for me. Maybe in the city with some good tires or as a strictly summer vehicle it's great in Canada. Those are not things that appeal to me as a buyer though. Nor do they appeal to a lot of Canadians when they buy a truck.

Marcel worked in the oil patch
Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Not my fault that you got jacked

Plus the HST/PST? I can't believe the rest of the country has to pay 5-10 percent more on there vehicle over asking price than in Alberta...

Taxes in , the rest of the country pays PST

I didn't get jacked , check out pricing on a new DCLB Sport
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Marcel worked in the oil patch
That encourages my point! Oil patch guys here own 2-4 trucks, simply because they have too much money and too little foresight. If you're gong to buy a few trucks, sure than the x runner makes sense. Just like how I get a free 3/4 ton from work so there's no sense in me buying a heavier personal truck like a tundra...
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That encourages my point! Oil patch guys here own 2-4 trucks, simply because they have too much money and too little foresight. If you're gong to buy a few trucks, sure than the x runner makes sense. Just like how I get a free 3/4 ton from work so there's no sense in me buying a heavier personal truck like a tundra...

Well , he doesn't , his other vehicle is a Scion

Old 06-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
Resident Agrologist

Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Taxes in

I didn't get jacked , check out pricing on a new DCLB Sport
Taxes in I paid 38 and a bit, I was able to get 2 grand off of a 36ish asking with freight in. You do automatically have to pay 2000 more than I do so that makes sense. Should of moved over here for a few months I guess (I'm just kidding, the coast is beautiful.)