Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Moving to Canada, Need some Advise

Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #61
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Nova Scotia is a beautiful and amazing place, but is currently economically depressed and doing a lot of soul searching to figure out how to move forward. The people are mostly very friendly and outgoing, and the Annapolis Valley is gorgeous (I grew up about an hour East of Digby). The pace of life is very different.

BUT:
-Taxes suck.
-Jobs outside of Halifax aren't great. The Valley is really not doing well.
-Brain drain: a lot of the skilled/educated population has left to work out West. Thus, there are a lot of Village Idiots running around unchecked.
-Private sector employment refuses to pay on par with the rest of the country.
-Massive, out of control "Not In My Back Yard" Syndrome. Anything that hasn't been in the province for 200 years already is usually immediately met with negativity.

Plus side:
-Absolutely beautiful and not overdeveloped
-Water. Water everywhere (I hope you like boats)
-The local food movement is very strong (veggies, meat, wine/booze, etc)
-Price of land and houses compared to the rest of the country is fairly cheap

If you are serious about moving here, I'd suggest taking two weeks off in the summer or fall (the fall is awesome here), tool around Halifax, do the Cabot Trail, drive down along the South Shore and Yarmouth, and come up through the Annapolis Valley. See what you think.

Otherwise, I'd say consider Western Canada unless Nova Scotia really grabs you and you can make it work.
Just how bad are the taxes in Canada. Several of you all have mentioned it.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #62
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

http://www.investopedia.com/financia...americans.aspx
Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #63
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
I live near the Canadian border, Canadians come to the U.S. for health care and shopping.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #64
k.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shedk.strong is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kirk
k.strong's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfires View Post
I live near the Canadian border, Canadians come to the U.S. for health care and shopping.
And gas. Last time i checked gas was almost 1.40/L in NS(iirc). No idea what that is in gallons.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #65
Fuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fuse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I mostly meant sales tax compared to other Provinces. In Nova Scotia, its 15% (5% HST (Federal) plus a 10% Provincial Value Added Tax). In Alberta, where I am living now, we only have GST (5%). Makes a big difference for things like vehicle purchases and electronics.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #66
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I live at the 49th and never go to the States
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #67
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Our dollar used to be at par with the American. When it was we all shopped down there. Now it's just when we can find something cheaper.

Our health care is just fine thank you. However if you want a surgery ASAP and can't wait, then you go to the US and pay.

Basically by living in Canada close to the boarder we can choose to get the best of the USA and dodge the rest of the BS
Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #69
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Did you read up at all about moving to Canada or just assume everything is better there? Not saying its not a good country but all countries have problems and your painting the picture or there being nothing but rainbows and midgets running around passing out golden dildos
Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #70
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
Did you read up at all about moving to Canada or just assume everything is better there? Not saying its not a good country but all countries have problems and your painting the picture or there being nothing but rainbows and midgets running around passing out golden dildos
No, no, you are thinking of Thailand. SOI Cowboy...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #71
Fuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fuse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
That,s some weak Keith's
Fixed that for you. Screech is a Newfoundland deal
Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #72
Pissed Off Paul is on a distinguished road
Pissed Off Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Stay clear of Ontario and Quebec. Liberals (Mcguinty you POS!!!) have bankrupted Ontario and stolen billions from taxpayers. We can't afford to heat our houses or turn our lights on. So he quits leaves the country and now teaching at Harvard. You won't find any more crooked politicians in any country in the world. Be ready to pay anywhere from 25 to 40% more for the identical item in America. Government supposed to be looking into this but as usual waiting for answers that never come. lol
And don't get me started on the CBC and RCMP. Biggest waste of taxpayers dollars funding these two crooked outfits. Then there's the Senate..the 150 g's a year isn't enough so they have to steal more...right Pamela and Mike. Your both so fat I guess the 150 wasn't enough to cover your grocery bill....Anway i could right a book on this s**t show up here. I wouldn't set foot anywhere near here but that's just me..Now that I'm all riled up here come the chest pains
Old 05-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #73
Toyotaholic
Crusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Crusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I live at the 49th and never go to the States
You're messing with these guys and you know it.
Now I know you're in Ladysmith, were you the one that raped Pam?

I live south of the 49th and also never hit the states.
Kinda stuck on the rock.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #74
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissed Off Paul View Post
Stay clear of Ontario and Quebec. Liberals (Mcguinty you POS!!!) have bankrupted Ontario and stolen billions from taxpayers. We can't afford to heat our houses or turn our lights on. So he quits leaves the country and now teaching at Harvard. You won't find any more crooked politicians in any country in the world. Be ready to pay anywhere from 25 to 40% more for the identical item in America. Government supposed to be looking into this but as usual waiting for answers that never come. lol
And don't get me started on the CBC and RCMP. Biggest waste of taxpayers dollars funding these two crooked outfits. Then there's the Senate..the 150 g's a year isn't enough so they have to steal more...right Pamela and Mike. Your both so fat I guess the 150 wasn't enough to cover your grocery bill....Anway i could right a book on this s**t show up here. I wouldn't set foot anywhere near here but that's just me..Now that I'm all riled up here come the chest pains
You mad bro?

Jump ship anytime, we won't miss you.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #75

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Canada, Need some Advise

Quote:

Only thing you got right was that Ontario is a dump

and first post too , sensing troll status
Old 05-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #76
rcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Nova Scotia is a beautiful and amazing place, but is currently economically depressed and doing a lot of soul searching to figure out how to move forward. The people are mostly very friendly and outgoing, and the Annapolis Valley is gorgeous (I grew up about an hour East of Digby). The pace of life is very different.

BUT:
-Taxes suck.
-Jobs outside of Halifax aren't great. The Valley is really not doing well.
-Brain drain: a lot of the skilled/educated population has left to work out West. Thus, there are a lot of Village Idiots running around unchecked.
-Private sector employment refuses to pay on par with the rest of the country.
-Massive, out of control "Not In My Back Yard" Syndrome. Anything that hasn't been in the province for 200 years already is usually immediately met with negativity.

Plus side:
-Absolutely beautiful and not overdeveloped
-Water. Water everywhere (I hope you like boats)
-The local food movement is very strong (veggies, meat, wine/booze, etc)
-Price of land and houses compared to the rest of the country is fairly cheap

If you are serious about moving here, I'd suggest taking two weeks off in the summer or fall (the fall is awesome here), tool around Halifax, do the Cabot Trail, drive down along the South Shore and Yarmouth, and come up through the Annapolis Valley. See what you think.

Otherwise, I'd say consider Western Canada unless Nova Scotia really grabs you and you can make it work.
I'm a nova scotian. Been here all my life, and I have to say, you pretty much nailed it right on the head with your post.
I grew up in Pictou county, and a lot of the industries have been decimated there. A lot of people have gone west, for the oil money.
Even my work that I have been at for almost 15 years which was always busy, has slowed down quite a bit.
So I would definitely make sure you have some leads for a job before you get here, and agree with what was said about maybe taking 2 weeks vacation, and drive around the province.
Good Luck.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #77
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
No offense to Canada, but why? How exactly does the federal gov't actually effect you? I'm in the military and barely even notice the federal impact. Maybe you should try another state, you'd be surprised by the intrusiveness of the state gov't that most people just blame on the feds. If the fed gov't is really effecting you maybe you should just chill out because more than likely its just an overreaction on your part. Yes, the gov't is getting more intrusive and yes they are getting bigger but the impact on your life (outside of taxes, Canada taxes > US taxes) should be minimal, unless of course you're wealthy, business owner, farmer, military veteran, fed gov't employee, with multiple kids in public schools.... otherwise its more than likely state and local gov't thats bothering. Thus there are many beautiful states that vary a lot with gov't intrusiveness and have much warmer clients than Nova Scotia.

btw, before all the Canadians freak out... half my family lives in BC and I've spent multiple summers up there and love America's hat.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #78
Pissed Off Paul is on a distinguished road
Pissed Off Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Only thing you got right was that Ontario is a dump

and first post too , sensing troll status
you don't live in Ottawa my friend. Trust me you would get an eye opening if you did. Everything in my post is accurate..I am far from a troll I can assure you that
Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #79

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you don't live in Ottawa my friend. Trust me you would get an eye opening if you did. Everything in my post is accurate..I am far from a troll I can assure you that

Damn , you're pissed off Paul
Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #80
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
No offense to Canada, but why? How exactly does the federal gov't actually effect you? I'm in the military and barely even notice the federal impact. Maybe you should try another state, you'd be surprised by the intrusiveness of the state gov't that most people just blame on the feds. If the fed gov't is really effecting you maybe you should just chill out because more than likely its just an overreaction on your part. Yes, the gov't is getting more intrusive and yes they are getting bigger but the impact on your life (outside of taxes, Canada taxes > US taxes) should be minimal, unless of course you're wealthy, business owner, farmer, military veteran, fed gov't employee, with multiple kids in public schools.... otherwise its more than likely state and local gov't thats bothering. Thus there are many beautiful states that vary a lot with gov't intrusiveness and have much warmer clients than Nova Scotia.

btw, before all the Canadians freak out... half my family lives in BC and I've spent multiple summers up there and love America's hat.
I work for the federal gov't. And I served. Bottom line this country and its gov't is going to hell in a handbasket in a hurry. Its not going to change. I don't need to chill out either. This is not an overreaction, it is the truth that people tend to ignore because they are not effected. I also do not care about warmer climate..