Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Moving to Canada, Need some Advise

Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #81
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
Did you read up at all about moving to Canada or just assume everything is better there? Not saying its not a good country but all countries have problems and your painting the picture or there being nothing but rainbows and midgets running around passing out golden dildos

Thats a pretty disgusting refference but not. I have done my reading. Im not going to turn a simple q &a thread into a pissing match guy.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #82
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
You might also consider drinking 50% less beer than normal! our Canadian stuff will knock you on your ass unless you are used to the extra alcohol content.
lol All I drink is IPA's etc... im used to it. Thanks though
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
I'm just curious, why Digby? I usd to live there years ago. It's a nice town, but there's really nothing there. The fishing industry has gone to shit. What line of work are you looking for??

Our winters aren't that bad really. NB gets reamed up the hoop harder then we do, and unless your TRD Sport is very different then mine, your truck will handle it, but GET IT UNDERCOATED!!! Yes, the taxes are high, but like WoadWunnrer said, the Annapolis Valley is beautiful! Especially this time of year when the apple blossoms are starting to come out. We also have toothless/bearded women, guys out in the hay field behind their cattle with their pants around their ankles, but they only come out of the woodwork around exhibition time.
I was looking around at different places. Digby looked and sounded nice. Still searching, but figured I would throw out Digby as one of the places I researched.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #84
Quote:
Originally Posted by The403Guy View Post
What kind of work do you do? Want to do?

No matter what it is, you will have way more opportunitites in the West. Look at Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC. I've lived in Alberta/BC/Ontario and I travel for a living across Canada/USA so I feel I can speak on this topic.

OZ is right, buy a jacket and watch hockey. You'll also need a toque. Sterdog is right, You'll get paid just fine being an American here, there is still a labour shortage and with some skills it won't take long to find work. Start here: www.indeed.ca

Welcome to Canada, where we still have a middle class .........
Love hockey and have lots of jackets ...lol! I am a federal corrections officer. Still trying to see what jobs are out there.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #85
cdn kayaker is on a distinguished road
cdn kayaker's Tacoma Gallery
Winters in PA are likely colder - NS is a temperate maratime climate. yes they get snow but that might be followed by a few days of above freezing temps.
I lived in NS for three years. Fantastic place.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Nova Scotia is a beautiful and amazing place, but is currently economically depressed and doing a lot of soul searching to figure out how to move forward. The people are mostly very friendly and outgoing, and the Annapolis Valley is gorgeous (I grew up about an hour East of Digby). The pace of life is very different.

BUT:
-Taxes suck.
-Jobs outside of Halifax aren't great. The Valley is really not doing well.
-Brain drain: a lot of the skilled/educated population has left to work out West. Thus, there are a lot of Village Idiots running around unchecked.
-Private sector employment refuses to pay on par with the rest of the country.
-Massive, out of control "Not In My Back Yard" Syndrome. Anything that hasn't been in the province for 200 years already is usually immediately met with negativity.

Plus side:
-Absolutely beautiful and not overdeveloped
-Water. Water everywhere (I hope you like boats)
-The local food movement is very strong (veggies, meat, wine/booze, etc)
-Price of land and houses compared to the rest of the country is fairly cheap

If you are serious about moving here, I'd suggest taking two weeks off in the summer or fall (the fall is awesome here), tool around Halifax, do the Cabot Trail, drive down along the South Shore and Yarmouth, and come up through the Annapolis Valley. See what you think.

Otherwise, I'd say consider Western Canada unless Nova Scotia really grabs you and you can make it work.
Thanks a lot!! I will.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #87
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think that damn cod slipped me the tongue
Quote:
Start watching hockey
Quote:
Boondocks
very insight.
such smart.
wow.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #88
melmerby is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
melmerby's Tacoma Gallery
Nova Scotia

Moderate temperature, never more than 1 hour from the ocean, very friendly people and living is easy. License plate says it all - Canada's Ocean Playground - come on up for a visit and bring your camping gear.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmerby View Post
Moderate temperature, never more than 1 hour from the ocean, very friendly people and living is easy. License plate says it all - Canada's Ocean Playground - come on up for a visit and bring your camping gear.