Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Canada

Notices

Brakes - Pads and Rotors

Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
HipHead is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes - Pads and Rotors

I have about 107,0000 kms on my 2009 Access Cab.

About time to replace pads and rotors.

Where did you buy your pads and rotors? Looking for something local to avoid shipping charges.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
autopartsway

that's where I last got them

partsource also carry them if you want to get from a brick and mortar store
Old 10-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHead View Post
I have about 107,0000 kms on my 2009 Access Cab.

About time to replace pads and rotors.

Where did you buy your pads and rotors? Looking for something local to avoid shipping charges.
If you want top quality performance rotors or pads then the only way is to order them in the US to a US post office box from a website that offers free shipping, then go pick them up yourself. The joys of being Canadian.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
autopartsway

that's where I last got them

partsource also carry them if you want to get from a brick and mortar store
Are these parts made well and good quality?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Check them to see if they actually need replacing. I've got 223,000kms on mine (Tons of highway Kms though) and I'm maybe halfway through my front brakes.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Burning Octane 8 carbon atoms at a time.
Dantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Geoff
Dantes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Check them to see if they actually need replacing. I've got 223,000kms on mine (Tons of highway Kms though) and I'm maybe halfway through my front brakes.
Yup , I was surprised when I did all 4 corners. Rear drums were bad, as expected; but front rotors & pads really were not as nuked as expected.

For Sask. RoughRider fans everywhere (that'd be CFL football to the rest):

Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Twatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Twatwaffles's Tacoma Gallery
Have you actually checked yours?

127k on mine, front pads are around 70% still, rotors are fine. Replaced rear shoes with OEM from defective axle oil seal replacement (on both sides!) not long ago. Check your pads and rotors before you throw money at them. Use OEM pads - they aren't that much more from a Canadian Toyota dealer versus a US one once you factor in the current exchange, shipping costs (pads and rotors are damn heavy) and time for shipping; if you want more bite, go with Hawk pads. DON'T get shitty cross drilled/slotted rotors - unless you're buying Brembo, Wilwood or Baer, they're garbage and not manufactured properly, totally not necessary and far less reliable on a truck.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Dantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of lightDantes Taco is a glorious beacon of light

I'd advise against drilling rotors - too many instances of cracks. Mine are slotted but only dimpled. EBC is a pretty solid company from what I found. Yes, the fronts were < 3mm.
Rear had stretch springs and lets say I didn't pay retail for the parts

Oh and brake "break in" is important. Anyone can fuck a new rotor, regardless of brand.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHead View Post
Are these parts made well and good quality?
There's lots of options to choose from. I went budget and have had no issues.

I did learn though that its not worth getting the rotors spun (resurfaced on a lathe). Within a couple of weeks they were warped again. If you are getting any pulsating from the brake pedal, I recommend replacing the rotors.

If just doing pads, you can replace without taking the caliper off.

Do check the inside pistons on the calipers - if you have 4-pots, the inside ones like to seize up.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

HipHead's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback.

Had the truck on the hoist the other night.

Rear drums are good.

In terms of front I don't think rotors and pads are causing problems. They seem ok. There is some rust on the rotors where the pads don't touch. And the pads seem like they ample material.

When the brakes are applied there is no considerable bite. I have to press harder than normal for the vehicle to stop.

I think the calipers may be causing the problems. As Buck mentioned perhaps the pistons are seizing?

Should I be looking for new calipers or attempt to have mine re-worked?

btw - they are 4 piston calipers. Oh yeah, I should also mention the truck is not my daily driver. The truck often sits in the driveway and is used one or more times per week.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
TheEh-Team.ca
buck's Tacoma Gallery
try pushing the pistons in on the calipers. Good chance the outboard facing ones will push in, and in inboard facing ones will not. If that's the case, they'll need a rebuild or replacement.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tdotperformance.ca/checkout/cart/

This place says free shipping, and I am planning on just going to pick them up. Havent ordered yet, so cant comment on their customer service yet.

For those of you who had changed your brakes. Did you change the pins, springs or shims for the front brakes? Haven't had a chance to look at mine, so I don't know how hard the winters were on them. If you did, is there a cheaper place to get them in Canada (specifically Ontario) other than the dealer?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
TheEh-Team.ca
buck's Tacoma Gallery
My pins were still fine to use. Just cleaned them up a little. My pads only ever came with backing plates, never shims. No springs on the 4-pots... on my '05 anyway.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
My pins were still fine to use. Just cleaned them up a little. My pads only ever came with backing plates, never shims. No springs on the 4-pots... on my '05 anyway.
Not so much pins but the rrtainer clips that keep the pads from shifting and making noise. Thanks for the input, ill try to get by without replacing that stuff.

anyone got any good sites or places to get the pins and clips just in case.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Not so much pins but the rrtainer clips that keep the pads from shifting and making noise. Thanks for the input, ill try to get by without replacing that stuff.

anyone got any good sites or places to get the pins and clips just in case.
Here in Alberta, I just went to NAPA & they had fresh retainer clips for the Front. and Pins. I did both. You can see in my pic (green pads) the new mounting hardware.

G
Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes Taco View Post
Here in Alberta, I just went to NAPA & they had fresh retainer clips for the Front. and Pins. I did both. You can see in my pic (green pads) the new mounting hardware.

G
yes. Thank you, that's probably going to be so much cheaper. Really appreciate it.

EDIT:
just priced it out, $25ish for all of the pins, and antirattle clips. Cant even get that off some sites here. Thanks again for the heads up. Didn't even think to go looking there.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone that needs a write up for brakes I just did one.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ds-rotors.html
Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #19

Thanks loaded taco, how was the bedding process on those brakes? Was it as simple as changing your driving style for a while or more meticulous?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Thanks loaded taco, how was the bedding process on those brakes? Was it as simple as changing your driving style for a while or more meticulous?
The EBC kit has some simple instructions on how to do it. I just took care not to slam on them for the first 1000. After that I had to brake from 60-20 a few times to "finish Bedding" the pads and rotors.

That's all I did.