1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Encourage me...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LaxyMctwidds, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Feb 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM
    LaxyMctwidds

LaxyMctwidds [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black DCLB TRD Sport
    Good evening,

New user here and I'm currently in a VW GTI. Always been a Volkswagen guy, on the lot in my home town is a 2011 2nd Gen access cab. Black TRD offroad package and I'm real close to trading in my Vdub.

Prior to hopping on the Taco express, is there anything I should be aware of with these vehicles ? I'm realllyyyyy hoping some one can sway my decision to sacrifice fuel mileage lol.

Any input is appreciated thanks

-B

2. Feb 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    You have a link for the truck?

If you're expecting any useful advice from people who don't know you, your needs, your financial situation, or your preferences... you're going to be disappointed.

Tacoma is a great truck. Very reliable. I would think your increased fuel consumption costs would be way less than the maintenance and repairs on a used VW GTI over the next few years. I think the functionality of a double cab makes it a better vehicle if you intend on keeping it for a while. Those suicide doors suck.

If you get it, rustproof the frame once or twice annually with fluid film or similar product.

3. Feb 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Hitler supported Volkswagon, and you are supporting Volkswagon, therefore you support Hitler?

4. Feb 17, 2015 at 9:52 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Just fartin rounds man don't take me for cereal.

Buying a Tacoma a few years back has been the second best investment next to my home, that I've ever made in my life. Purchased for $22k I now owe $13k and with 54k miles on it, it's worth a grand more than what I paid.

Gas is cheaper than diesel now and I think you'd be saving money in that regards.

5. Feb 18, 2015 at 6:49 AM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Dude has a GTI, not the TDI. Gas, not diesel. It's the Golf on steroids.

6. Feb 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I had an 07 VW GTI with 59,000 miles that I sold to get my 06 Tacoma with 18,000 miles back in 2011. I haven't once regretted the decision. I'd repaired more stuff on the GTI than I'd care to admit. Everything was super expensive, required special tools and parts, the car left me stranded twice, and lots more. I learned that the VW community didnt mind constantly wrenching on their cars, that just wasnt for me though. I wanted simple and reliable.

7. Feb 19, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    LaxyMctwidds

LaxyMctwidds [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    I have heard that they're very reliable. And the maintenance on my VW is stupid. Especially because it's built up, stage 2+.

How come the suicide doors are bad ? There's two trucks in town where I'm from. An access cab, and a double cab. Same year, 2011 and both have 90,00 kms on them. However the double cab is 7,000 more at $31,000. Is it really worth having two more doors for that much of a difference in cost ?

8. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:58 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    There must be other differences. The double cab is not a 7k upgrade. I don't like the suicide doors. One of our work trucks used to be an access cab tacoma. One thing that sucked was trying to load stuff in the back seat in a parking lot when there's a car beside you. I just prefer to have the extra room to actually be able to take more passengers or securely store things like luggage, groceries, whatever. Test drive a couple and figure out what you want. Once you know, you can shop around instead of worrying about whats available in your home town. Find one on the internet a few hours away. The sr5 and TRD off road are softer suspensions while the TRD sport is stiffer like your GTI would be compared to a golf. TRD seats are also more comfortable than the standard ones.

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    LaxyMctwidds

LaxyMctwidds [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    True.. I believe the difference between the two is TRD off-road access cab, and the TRD Sport is the crew cab. I'll compare the two again in a test drive.

10. Feb 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    You can get brand new for just a little more. Might be worth looking into.

11. Feb 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    TacomaDave65

TacomaDave65 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma SR5 Magnetic Gray
    I just purchased my Tacoma pictured here on the last day of January. It was $29,000 and change on the lot. With my trade in ($2000 for a 2000 Dodge Dakota with 79K+ miles) and my TrueCar quote (which they honored) I drove it home for $26,500 - everything included! Something to keep in mind too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Feb 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    access cab doors are more a pain than they are worth

13. Feb 20, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Love my new 15 TRD OR AC 4x4, in MGM. Its me in it 99% of the time, and dont need the 4 door. Wanted the 6' bed, so AC was for me. Traded in a 14 DCLB prerunner, for the new 4x4.

:oldglory:

14. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:41 AM
    LaxyMctwidds

LaxyMctwidds [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
  15. Feb 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    They look good. I would go dbl cab but that's just me. If you are looking to finance you may be better off buying a new 2015 before the 2016's roll out because they usually go 0.9% financing.

or this...
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...5a/1043333678?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

5 grand less and less miles.

16. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    I like VW. had a jetta for a commuter for 3 years. Wife has a Sportwagon.
    Trade it and you'll never miss your car! It's worth losing the MPG's.

17. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Ok, I'll play. I sold my 2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn Edition back in October so I could buy a used Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. And before the MK6 GLI, I'd owned two different MK4 GLIs, a MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition and a MK1 Audi TT. Needless to say, I've been a VW/Audi enthusiast for over twelve years now and I fully intend on purchasing another one sometime down the road. However, to reiterate what a few others have already posted, I don't regret the decision to sell my VW and buy a Tacoma one bit. Yeah, the combined gas mileage on the Tacoma is right about 10 MPG worse than I got in my GLI and yeah, there are times when I desperately miss the low end torque of a 4 cylinder turbocharged motor but even still, the versatility and overall usefulness of the Tacoma outweighs all of that. Without a doubt, my Tacoma is everything I need it to be and I absolutely love it.

Now, while I don't know your reasoning for wanting a truck, the main reason I decided to buy one was because my wife and I recently moved into a new house and we have a ton of stuff we want to renovate/update. And let me tell you, it's a hell of a lot easier to haul wood, dirt, mulch and anything else you can get from a home improvement store in the Tacoma than it ever was in the GLI. On top of that I'm a fairly large guy and I have a much easier time getting in and out of the truck than I did in any of my old VWs. That and I don't know if you have kids or not but lifting my two year old daughter into her car seat in the back of my doublecab is much easier than it was bending over and having to reach down to buckle her into the back of the GLI. I may only be 30 years old, but doing that day in and day out was starting to take its toll on my back... Lastly, coming from a lowered car with stiff springs and a somewhat harsh suspension I can't believe how much more I enjoy being higher off the road and not hearing my teeth rattle when I drive over crappy, beat up roads. I'll admit the Tacoma doesn't have the nicest ride in the world, but for being a truck I've been rather impressed. That and I can't put it into words how nice it is not having to swerve to avoid large pot holes or go slowly over railroad tracks anymore. Driving a truck with a good amount of ground clearance has changed my life and I love it.

Anyway, if you think you'll get more use out of owning a truck then I say ditch the VW. If you're just looking for something different and more reliable, a Tacoma still isn't a bad choice. Either way, if you end up buying one I'm willing to bet you'll be happy you did. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top