1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canadian Vs. American Tacoma's

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 1989supraturbo, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    1989supraturbo

1989supraturbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    Hey guys,
    i'm looking to buy a Tacoma and the dealer in Victoria called me and they have an American 08 Sport double cab Manual for sale.

Just wondering what the differences are between CAN and US since i've seen a Sport edition access cab with no Diff lock from the US and i know that's not available here.

CAN models have Access cab with diff lock and sport models with LSD, i'm hoping you can tell me what this US model has or if they are the same because i've been looking for months and have said no and walked away from a deal and passed on a couple.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

2. Oct 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    My first question would be "Does it have a 3 leaf pack or 4?"

Canadian trucks come standard with the 4 leaf pack. If the one your dealer has only has a 3 leaf pack, see if you can arrange to get the TSB done as part of the deal.

PS Welcome to the forums from another MSE Op. I grew up in Courtenay, but I'm posted to Edmonton now.

3. Oct 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The diff lock only comes on the TRD Offroad , which is only available in an access cab in Canada . In the States the TRD Offroad also comes in a doublecab shortbed . ( 5' bed )

Welcome to TW , I'm in the Gulf Islands

4. Oct 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    spares

spares Canadian Bacon

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport
    The US sport will have the LSD just like the cdn truck. Biggest difference you'll see is MPH on the speedo. My truck is from the US so i know this first hand. As ouyin mentioned the US will have the standard 3 leaf pack unless the TSB was done. Other than that there isn't anything i can think of that will be different. I may have missed somthing though.

5. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    1989supraturbo

1989supraturbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    Thanks for the help guys, i've decided to wait for a BC truck to come on the market, I have time.
    This one they were asking too much anyhow, about 60k kms and $29,900.

Later this month i'll take a trip to Vancouver and see whats' out there.

6. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    Oscar144

Oscar144 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    gatineaU
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2011
    Good day all,

I'm Ottawa Canada. I just bought a Tacxoma 2011. I just found out it's an American version. Anybody knows what is the different between this version and the one in Canada. Thanks in advance for the info

7. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What configuration is it ?

8. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The main differences are, the speedometers require a math equasion to decipher the speed your going. The gas tank is filled with "Liters", and/or "Imperial Gallons", which are nothing like a real Gallon, thus give the owner a hiegthend sense of being more eco friendly. AND..... The exhaust has a slight French/English accent. Otherwise, they are very much like a Cocky, albiet friendly and polite, version of the trucks made in the USA.

cory02taco and doublethebass like this.
  9. Jun 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    Seventy1

Seventy1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Murray
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Please excuse my frankness but why the f@#k can you not get a TRD off road in double cab configuration in Canada? What good reason can anyone give for this!

10. Jun 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    ask Toyota

PS , they don't sell Prerunners in Canada

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  11. Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    in b4 oz says "they dont sell pre runners in canada"

12. Jun 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    oh dear

13. Apr 17, 2018 at 2:33 AM
    ShadyWingz

ShadyWingz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I have 2005 Taco from Canada. When searching the vin it is listed as a prerunner.

14. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Brought this one back from the dead eh?

15. Apr 17, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    ShadyWingz

ShadyWingz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Not so much. But in regards to Toyota not selling Prerunners in Canada, yes. Mine, the removed the badge. Listed under the vin it comes up as a Canadian spec Prerunner. I haven't done much research as to the differences, but that much I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top