1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying used...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DaMann, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Jul 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    DaMann

DaMann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    I'm in the market for a used Taco. Looking at roughly a 2007 TRD double cab long box auto. I have a few questions. Is 170,000km a lot for these trucks? Obviously I would prefer less but my budget is around $17-18k. I've heard they're pretty bullet proof. Just wondering on the opinions on that. Keep in mind I'm coming from a VW van With over 300,000km on it so I'm not too afraid of high mileage.

The other question is regarding payload capacity. I googled a 2007 Taco and found the payload capacity to be 1305 lbs. I looked at the 2013 on the Toyota site and they list it as 1050. What gives? Are the new trucks really that much less?.

I will be putting some airbags on it and throwing a small import size camper on it with a weight of around 900-1000lbs. ( yes I know it's marginal but talked to a few guys camping with this setup and they are happy as a clam). So why the discrepancy in payload between the years?

Thanks! Hopefully will have one very soon

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    squamish VFR

squamish VFR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Squamish B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma 4door shortbox
    Bilsteins set at 2.5" OME Dakar rear leaf packs, FJ manual TC conversion, basket winch front and rear, hidden hitch in the front behind licence plate. Spyder headlights, tailgate seals.
    4wd actuators are a concern at $1300.00
    Find the TSB list on this forum and see if they were done. I bought my 06 used and not one of the was done.

3. Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    This is good info. TSB's are only good while under warranty I take it?

The 3 leaf VS 4 leaf thing. I have read that Canadian Tacos all have the 4 leaf springs but from which year? 2007 or 2008. Anyone know for sure?

4. Jul 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Should be from '07. I have an '07 and I do have the shitty TSB 4 leaf pack. :D

Mine is DCSB and my actual payload according to the sticker on my door jamb is 1200lbs.

Depending on the configuration, trim and options installed on the truck, payload will vary. For instance you can get a fullsize fully loaded '13 Ram 1500 4x4 CC Longhorn with actual payload of only 870lbs while a base trim may be 1500lbs or more so yes, 1050lbs on the Taco I can believe.

Imo 1000lbs camper seems like a lot for Tacoma, especially judging from how much my truck sags with only 4 adults and camping gear for 4 in the bed. Remember, any other cargo, gear passengers etc will cut more into your payload.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. Jul 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    Thanks for the info!

Well the few Tacos that I have seen with import sized campers used airbags, and there was no squat what so ever with the camper on. Both guys said they don't even know it's there. I think with out the airbags and a sway bar it would be too much. I know payload includes all occupants and all that. I think I would be on the edge, maybe a tad over, but I'm ok with being 200lbs over. No more than that though!

Great info, thanks!

6. Jul 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure you will be be fine with airbags etc., but technically/legally you will be overweight.

7. Jul 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    This is true. Something to ponder.
    I've seen some guys in old Ford Rangers with questionable sized campers on, an aluminum boat on top with the boat motor strapped to the back. Bumper practically dragging on the ground. Don't know how they get away with it or why they would want to either. i will be sensible.

Again, thanks for the replies. Very helpful

8. Jul 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    squamish VFR

squamish VFR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Squamish B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 tacoma 4door shortbox
    Bilsteins set at 2.5" OME Dakar rear leaf packs, FJ manual TC conversion, basket winch front and rear, hidden hitch in the front behind licence plate. Spyder headlights, tailgate seals.
    I'm not certain how "illegal" you'd be. If the factory installed airbags it would increase the payload and they'd change the number on the door. What's the difference if you do it yourself? I think "legally" if a cop sees an unsafe load he/she has the duty to do something about it and maybe refer you to inspection. Maybe find a cop or DMV and ask?

My '06 had the three leaf packs. TSB's were free but only if there was a complaint. They are not recalls. The list will however give you a good idea what problems to look for.

9. Jul 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma's don't come with airbags from factory. Also, the payload of a vehicle cannot be increased by modifying it. Once it leaves the factory, thats it. You can upgrade components to better handle the load etc, but the legal payload will stay the same.

10. Jul 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    You guys are giving me great info, much appreciated. Now, if it were YOUR cash, say $18k and you wanted a dual cab, TRD, long box ( i want the tow package) and an auto. Which one of these would you choose? I don't want anything lifted or modified ( want better fuel econ). they have a lot to choose from. Would prefer 2007 and up for the added leaf spring, and obviously lower the mileage the better

http://www.globalautobc.com/used-in...Bmodel=Tacoma&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

11. Aug 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB
    Not sure if anyone cares as I know payload has been discussed to death but after some research I found out a few interesting things.

Did you know that a Toyota Camry has a payload capacity only 50 lbs less than a Taco DC long box with all options ( payload 1050 lbs)? Camry is rated at 1000lbs. I dunno, this seems rather ridiculous to me. How the hell can a simple passenger car be only 50 lbs less than a truck. I'm not advocating going overweight, at least not by much, but I think the weight police need to think about this for a second. A civic is rated at 850lbs. What I'm saying is that when I see 5 passengers in a car, they are illegal...technically. That's not even including luggage in the trunk ( or gas). I find it odd that a dual cab truck can have 4 grown adults in it and technically not be able to put ANYTHING in the back bed. A Dodge caravan is rated as having a payload of 1500lbs!! Are these trucks really that flimsy? I suspect not. What constitutes the rating? Axles, frame? I know they are only half tonne trucks but a bloody minivan is rated higher? What would it take for Toyota to get the load rating up, even if only up to around 1400lbs ish. Is this an axle or frame issue? Anyways, still love this truck and will be picking one up next week, just found this whole payload thing interesting. After research it seems almost every car on the road is illegal once it has max occupants in it. Food for thought anyways...

12. Aug 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Pounds or kgs. Maybe check your units of measurement.

13. Aug 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
    Nfurtado77

Nfurtado77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You might have seen the SB payload I think it has more than the LB

14. Aug 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  15. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB

All measurements I was checking with were using pounds across the board.

16. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    DaMann

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport TRD DCLB

Something like that. I was looking at a Northern Lite hard side fibreglass unit. Dry weight of 350 Kg ( 770 lbs). I think that's doable and that's the same weight as some of the 4 wheel campers.

Is that your truck and camper?

Products Discussed in

To Top