1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS app for Android - Offline maps/road navigation in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Knuckles, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dec 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM
    Knuckles

Knuckles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    TRD blower, ARB winch bumper, XRC8 winch, OME 886/Dakar, pure sine wave 1000W Inverter, hood w/NO scoop.
    Hey guys,

I didn't know where exactly to ask this, but seeing as how America has a dozen apps that do this well, and we don't, I figured I would ask here...

I am setting up my Samsung Note 8 for nav duty in my Taco and am curious if anyone has had good luck with any of the nav apps, specifically in terms of how up to date the Canadian maps are that they use.

I don't care about voice guided directions, points of interest, telling all my friends where I am with twitter/pinface/youbook/etc or any of that nonsense...just solid navigation algorithms and up to date offline maps.

Cost isn't really an issue...the app can cost the same as a new standalone gps unit and I'd be happy if it works.

Some examples of nav apps are Copilot and Sygic. Google would get my money if they sold offline maps that integrate with Google Maps (I've tried the downloading thing....very tedious)

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. Dec 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM
    Knuckles

Knuckles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta and beyond
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
    TRD blower, ARB winch bumper, XRC8 winch, OME 886/Dakar, pure sine wave 1000W Inverter, hood w/NO scoop.
    Alright, for anyone interested...

I bought Copilot Premium USA and Canada for $14.99, and Sygic GPS Navigation Offline for Android (Canada) with the real time traffic (why not, eh) for what worked out to $54.00 (35.98*€) which includes a free license for a second download.

First thing I noticed was the map download sizes...the Canada map for Sygic was about twice the size at approximately 450MB. It took me about one minute to see why. The Copilot app didn't show the road to the site I'm currently working at, and didnt even show Stony Trail in Calgary. As far as I'm concerned I just threw $14.99 out the window with Copilot because a nav system can have all the pretty displays, sexy voices (haha), gadgets and doodads they want, but if it doesnt have a good map source then there's really no point.

First impressions...

Is Copilot a well made app? Yes. Is it worth $14.99? Well, maybe in your area the maps will be good enough, but it just doesnt work for my uses in my area, so no.

Would I recommend someone paying 3 times more for Sygic? Yes. The simple fact is that $15 for a nav app thats missing a lot of roads is not a good investment. I would feel good about my friends and parents using Sygic.

Bottom line is I'm not sure how much an 8" GPS would cost, but likely more than $50. So far Sygic seems very good, but on-going testing and reviews will tell the whole story. I feel its a very fair price for a well developed app.

More to come...

Products Discussed in

To Top