1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SR5 vs TRD SPORT vs TRD OFFROAD for daily driving, hunting, and 4x4ing

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bazza, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    bazza

bazza [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    I am going to be buying a Tacoma as it will fit my needs of daily driving, soon to be hunting, and flat land 4x4ing. Maybe with a tin boat up top of a cap on the box for fishing. i have youtube about air lockers, winching, suspension upgrades, ARB/Old man emu/ random 4x4 techniques/ whats best for hunting videos.

1}Would a SR5 tacoma have the nut certs for skid plates pre installed for a OFFROAD package from factory, or would i just be better getting an OFFROAD package which would reduce my costs?
    2}Also with a snorkel could i run a cold air intake?
    3}With a old man emu leaf spring/shock kit would this increase the load capacity of the box?
    4}Would a body lift help with the clearance issue of a suspension lift/replacement?
    5}Does anybody run Winter tires on there truck and if so do they provide traction in a field of powder/wet slushy snow? compared to off road tires?
    6}What nit pick issues do you have with the tacoma year 2001 and up to 2013 and how have you fixed/delt with them{suck it up buttercup} ie;wipers dont clear window enough, windows dont roll down all the way, wind niose on hwy, lights aren't bright enough, trim pieces break easily, squeeks rattles.
    7}is the supercharger worth the extra money in the newer trucks?

Thank you for potentially answering my questions

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So obviously you're getting an access cab if you get a 2nd gen , correct ?

3. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    bazza

bazza [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    yes but wouldnt mind a 4 door

4. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    No 2nd Gen double cab Offroad in Canada

5. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    bazza

bazza [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    access cab it is then

6. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like your mind is made up on an Offroad

Enjoy

7. Aug 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I don't really see how your questions pertain to the subject of the thread.

If you are going to be doing flat-land 4x4'ing you don't need to worry much about approach/departure angles, and getting high centred. Get a double cab ted sport and add a locker if you find you need it. The traction control on the rear diff is pretty amazing on the sport. I love having 4 normal functioning doors and a full back seat.

TRD packages are worth it for me just for the more comfortable seats and towing package.

Perfect winters for you would be studded Duratracs or if you just want a single set and no winters, get duratracs without the studs.

I think the 4.0 has lots of power without the supercharger. Use that extra money on a boat and motor or hunting gear.

8. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I'll do my best to help you. Like OZ said, the Off Road DCSB was discontinued in Canada for some random reason. There will also be the TRD Pro version hitting the streets in 2015 which will come will a slight lift and locking rear and it appears to be coming to Canada. Price on that model in CAN $ has not been released as far as I know. Anywho:

1}You can put the TRD skid plate on the SR5. I would put on an aftermarket one though, because the TRD one is made of extremely thin metal. It's a show piece, not a go piece.
    2}In most cases with some light modification and tinkering you can make any CAI that uses the stock air box location work with most snorkels. However, IMHO, you are still better off to use the stock airbox with the snorkel and simply remove the charcoal filter in the stock system to get great flow. With all that snorkle the CAI isn't doing anything for you but eating up a few hundred bucks.
    3}No, there are no mods that legally raise your payload. However, the expidition leaf springs found here; will reduce the sag in the rear of the truck under heavy loads. You'll need to lift the front of the truck too restore a levelish ride after installing the new leafs though.
    4}Don't body lift. Don't do it please, at least not alone by itself. I don't know what clearance issue you're talking about when it comes to suspension lifts but you won't gain any break over angle with a body lift. If done properly, with a good set of aftermarket upper control arms, suspension lifts not only increase your clearance but can also drastically improve your ride quality on and off road. If you don't want to do one yourself, many Toyota dealers will install the ICON lifts, go for a stage 3 and you'll never regret it. Avoid spacers/blocks if you plan on long distance offroading.
    5}Seriously? Snow tires are always much better than A/T on ice. If you run A/T during winters like I do you have to drive accordingly.
    6}My door panel on the drivers side still wants to rattle itself to bits. Toyota keeps installing a "quieting" kit but it hasn't helped anything. I've ordered some parts from the US and once I can pick them up I'll fix it myself. Other than that my Tacoma is solid.
    7}I have the Supercharger. If you want more power, then there is no better way to go. However, for the money, if you are happy with the stock 4.0 L don't upgrade. I wanted the extra power for towing and hill climbing, for those things the blower has been great. $6500 CAN dollars of great, maybe not. Do a good mild suspension lift (2.5-3") and up armor your truck with some sliders and skid plates if you plan on offroading instead of the supercharger, you'll have money left over for hunting gear too.

If you need a rear locker but want a double cab truck ASAP have ARB air lockers installed. They're better quality long term than an electric locker IMHO anyway. Plus then you'll have an onboard air compressor to air up after airing down offroad. If you can wait for the 2015 TRD Pro which may be coming to Canada then you can have a lift, rear electric locker, and TRD skid plate on your stock truck.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  9. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    Ben550

Ben550 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFF ROAD
    that stinks!

10. Aug 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    They sold too few of them according to my local dealership. No wonder, they refused to bring a DCSB with an automatic transmission. So if you went with an off-road pkg you had to take the manual transmission with a DC, which most people did not want.

11. Jun 5, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    Shayaanahmedd_

Shayaanahmedd_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayaan
    Vehicle:
    2006 dark blue Tacoma TRD sport
    Is there actually no double cab for the whole 2nd gen in the whole Canada?
    Definitely late for this thing but can't believe this damm

12. Jun 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I have a whole 2nd gen double cab in whole Canada bro and old thread is old

13. Jun 6, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    Shayaanahmedd_

Shayaanahmedd_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayaan
    Vehicle:
    2006 dark blue Tacoma TRD sport
    Ik lol the trd offroad one
    I have a double cab trd sport, its American tho

Products Discussed in