Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > CBI Off-Road Fab

Notices

pollishing the golden turd, 1985 4runner

Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
rokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
rokbrkr's Tacoma Gallery
pollishing the golden turd, 1985 4runner

Well I'm not much for typing so I'm going to try and keep this as simple as I can.
Here is a list of parts that I have gathered from good used deals and bought new from selling my XJ.

New parts: 4" trail gear front springs
4" pro comp rear springs (will explain later)
cheap pro comp shocks
TG ublot flip kits f/r
4- Big O 35x12.50x15 AT tires on 15x8 AL, wheels, tires are
new, mounted on used wheels ($500 for all) not exactly what
I was looking for, but the price was right and they will work
good for 80% of the driving this thing will be doing.

used parts: toy front end with high steer, high pinion 3rd with 5:29 gears,
limited slip, chromo inner shafts, stock birfs.

toy ifs rear end with chromo shafts, v6 3rd with 5:29 gears,
and ARB locker.

w56 trans mated to dual cases with stock gears
All pro xmember with E-brake.

TG hydro assist kit

IFS steering box

So I will post this in phases as I get them done.
Here is a pic of what I started with

And here it is as of now

Well that's it for now. I have alot more to post as soon as I get time. Thanks, Steve.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
rokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shedrokbrkr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rokbrkr's Tacoma Gallery
Well this isn't in order but, we'll start with the rear axle.
After building this cool cover for the assembled axle I noticed the spring perches weren't sitting evenly on the axle. After closer inspection I found that the housing was caved in around the spring perch on the passenger side and looked a little bent.
I disassembled the axle and sure enough, the housing was slightly bent. I got the axle out of a crawler that had been rolled. I assume the axle was bent in the roll over.
At this point I decided this wasn't going to be as quick and easy as planned, so I decided to slow down and take my time.

The cover is simply protection and support.

Since the first housing looked like it bent fairly easy, and I've seen a few of these housing dented from the ubolts. I sleeved the outer part of the housing with 3" .120 wall tube to give it some extra strength from where the housing steps dwon in size to the bearing cup.

I figured while it was all apart, why not put a truss on it as well.

All welded up and sanded down.

Brake lines and driver side shock mount.

painted and installed on the turd.

I wanted to keep the shocks in the stock location for now. I mounted them like /\ on my last runner and had lots of body roll when loaded down with camping gear, so I'm going to try this out to start with.

I'll see if I can't post up some more tomorrow.
www.duneratt.com
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Those old 4Runner's are classic.

I can't believe how clean it looks, only a few dings and faded paint!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

rokbrkr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by musty40 View Post
Those old 4Runner's are classic.

I can't believe how clean it looks, only a few dings and faded paint!
And lots and lots of miles unfortunately it looks better in pics than in person
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

rokbrkr's Tacoma Gallery
So onto the pro comp rear springs. I chose these for ease in mounting since I am pressed for time on working on this thing. I only have weekends, so I can drive it during the week.
I have talked with a few people in the past about these and they have said they work pretty good for awhile anyway.
I mounted them up right out of the box to begin with, overload and all.

Wow, what a stiff ride. So while I had the axle out I took the overloads out
and cut two leaves out of the old stock pack and added them to this pack along with the short leaf that was in the front TG springs that I took out when I installed them for fear the front was going to be too tall.

I was a little concerned that this would let the rear sag abit, so I cut down the overload leaf to work as block and attached it with the center bolt.

This set up rides alot better! I'm sure once I get the rear bumper with swing away done and all the crap I carry with me it will ride like a cadilac
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Sandhopper is on a distinguished road

Sandhopper's Tacoma Gallery
I so hated peeling off those stickers on my 85' pick-up... Loved the truck, hated those stickers! Looks like a great project. The 22RE was bullet proof.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
I like turtles!!!
The Munster will become famous soon enoughThe Munster will become famous soon enough

Air Force: A1C 822BDS
Name: Lance
The Munster's Tacoma Gallery
apparently you can buy the diesel 4 cylinder for those , as for the runner itself, they are bad ass with the factory suspension!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice stuff! What robot is doing you welds!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
musty40 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbrkr View Post
And lots and lots of miles unfortunately it looks better in pics than in person
Well compared to what one might find here in Minnesota.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see the rest and as everyone else has said nice weldin man
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Those 85 toyotas are sweet, last year of straight axle and first year fuel injection, dam I want one!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #18

rokbrkr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys!
No updates yet, I would like to work on the rear interior panels this weekend, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
The welds are perfect...Wow.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
good start so far! Love the old runners