1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about bushmaster rear bumper and swing out

Discussion in 'CBI Off-Road Fab' started by Infra, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Feb 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Infra

Infra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    So I'm still scratching my head with a few parts that go to the swing out on the bushmaster rear bumper. First, I have looked at the swing out and cannot figure out where this bump stop is supposed to be mounted on the swing out

[​IMG]

This is the wire that is supposed to hold the handle to the swing out when not screwed into the bumper. I'm not sure exactly how this wire gets crimped, care to clue me in on how it works?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you guys at CBI can contribute.

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    That bump stop should go on the swing out just above where the screw that holds the swing out closed. As far as the cable.. I haven't done mine yet. I have 2 that help support my table and 1 that I could use for the screw and have a carbiner to clip it to the screw.. Not sure if ill ever do that. I've also been wondering about getting some thick rubber to glue to the swing out and cut a hole in it for the screw that way the handle doesn't point down. If I shim it out 1/4" the handle will be rotated up enough so it can't get caught on a rock or something.

But as far as how to crimp it.. I was going to use a crimper we have at work, but you could probably crush it pretty good with a vise

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    CBI Offroad Fab

CBI Offroad Fab Member Vendor

Member:
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    Everything Toyota!
    Yes the plastic bumper stop does go on the back side of the swing away arm. There should be a tab that you can bolt it to. Bolt it so that the rounded side is pointing towards the bumper when closed. This bumper stop is important to mount up so that the swing arm rests on the bumper when closed.

The cable as mentioned goes with the handle. Put on single crimp on one end and then thread it through the hole on the back of the plate where the handle screws in. Then put another single crimp on the other side to lock it onto the handle plate. The double crimp is used around the center of the handle. Be sure to put it on tight enough that the handle will not fall out but loose enough that the cable will still slide as you tighten the handle down.

If you have any more questions just let us know!

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Ill have to take a look at that. Thanks Nathan. I'm still working on getting some pictures to send to you with my thoughts on the bumper.

5. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    agv1700

agv1700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB 4wd
    No thread jack intended, but I was wondering and i myself have a question for you guys about the bushmaster 2.0 w/swing out, or those of you that own one...

Is the swing out removable? If so how easy is it to remove, and does anyone have any pics???? Thx, and again apologies to the OP, not trying to steal your thunder.

6. Feb 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Infra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    Yes the swing out is removable. The bushings that are in the swing out are very tight on the spindle and I found it very hard to get the swing out on, so I am assuming it will be a little difficult to remove it when need be.

To remove the swing away there are a few easy steps. There is a top plate that sits on top of the spindle, it is bolted to the bumper (this helps prevents theft of your swing out, but is easily removed if you have the tools to do it) and has a set screw in it. Back out the set screw, remove the 2 bolts holding the top plate on the spindle, take the top plate off and then you are ready to lift the swing out up and off of the spindle

Top plate that goes on top of spindle and is bolted to the bumper.
    [​IMG]

Set screw on top plate
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Feb 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    agv1700

agv1700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB 4wd
    Outstanding... Thx for the reply!

8. Feb 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    Infra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:

No problem bud :thumbsup: If you have any more questions or want to see some more pictures just let me know

9. Feb 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    CBI Offroad Fab

CBI Offroad Fab Member Vendor

Member:
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    Everything Toyota!
    Great information guys! Just to add a little from our experience...

The brass bushings do fit tight but if you unload your swing arm and spray some WD-40 on the spindle and then take a moment to work in down the spindle by swinging the arm back and forth then it will dramatically help to pull the swing arm off of the spindle. You can use the same procedure to put the swing arm back on the spindle as well! Usually takes a couple of minutes to remove the swing away with this setup once you have removed the accessories from it.

To Top