Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

Moving to denver co summer of '11 from Texas!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
rraguilar09 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: C.C.A.T.T.
rraguilar09's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to denver co summer of '11 from Texas!

Hey TW been an avid reader on this forum since i became a taco owner a couple of years back, so all and any input is always greatly appreciated.

Heres my deal, i am currently residing in san antonio texas and have a '06 tacoma trd sport prerunner 2wd has about 105k on it now. my question is, will my taco being a 2wd be enough out there especially in the winters? me n my gf do alot of snowboarding and i would like to do some light off roading, nothing too extreme just a lil fun my extended warranty just ended as well thanks and any info will greatly be appreciated!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna have to say no. You're really gonna need 4 wheel drive if you wanna drive I70 and hit up any or the resorts. Downtown Denver might be ok, but CO winters in a truck with 2wheel drive is a scary thought to me
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
ya thats what im going towards, although i really dont want to get rid of my truck but considering the conditions i may not have a choice.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get a 4X4 if you are going to be coming out here. Like said above if you plan on going boarding you likely wont make it through I-70 if a storm passes through. Travel through the city will also be a PITA with a 2WD truck.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
I was in Divide, CO June of 2010. All I saw was 4x4 trucks. You will be OK when not snowing. I recommend a 4x4 or AWD car and ditch the 2WD.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
MMJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jack
MMJ's Tacoma Gallery
i would definitely get a 4x4. it can get real bad here in colorado. that's why i got my trd off road. usually i hate the snow but now i can't wait until we have our first blizzard to test it out.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
ya i hear all u but man i tell you its going to be HARD to let this baby go... decisions, decisions... what about arb lockers? any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraguilar09 View Post
ya i hear all u but man i tell you its going to be HARD to let this baby go... decisions, decisions... what about arb lockers? any suggestions?
If you keep the 2WD? Sure!!!! Lots of warm blankets,flashlight,food,cell phone charger, whistle, TP, extra clothes and a gun, because you are gonna be stuck.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you add to that list a couple phone numbers from the 4x4 guys
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you like your 2WD you will like a 4X4 much better. Especially living in CO you will be in the mountains continuously putting your truck through the test.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Driving in the mountains in 2wd is not fun at all, I have done it. Get a 4x4. When my girl moved out to denver she quickly traded her 2wd xterra for a 4x4 xterra after driving in the snow a few times.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
Fat chance you'll be able to get over the tunnel on I-70 when it's really bad with ice/snow/ etc in stop and go coming back from a day of ski/boarding.evan with weight in back and chains and studs.

You better get that thing sold this year before coming out here with a Prerunner bcause no one will pay much for a truck without 4WD. ( I'm assuming you will have a better market out there 4 2wd).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicP View Post
Fat chance you'll be able to get over the tunnel on I-70 when it's really bad with ice/snow/ etc in stop and go coming back from a day of ski/boarding.evan with weight in back and chains and studs.

You better get that thing sold this year before coming out here with a Prerunner bcause no one will pay much for a truck without 4WD. ( I'm assuming you will have a better market out there 4 2wd).
Agreed, definitely sell the prerunner and buy a 4x4 BEFORE you move.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
don't do it man, you need 4x4 here. you're going to be the one of the many ass clowns with bad ass looking trucks that have to park it overnight because they're stuck.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
I have been looking at trading it in for a while now but im going to have to pay it off a while longer bc they are only offering me 12k for it n i still owe about 14k on it plus the market here is definitely for 2wd and only a couple of 4wd show up. You guys think it would be easier just to hang on to it til i get out there? bc the 4x4 market seems to be almost everywhere i looked on autotrader.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
I have been looking at trading it in for a while now but im going to have to pay it off a while longer bc they are only offering me 12k for it n i still owe about 14k on it plus the market here is definitely for 2wd and only a couple of 4wd show up. You guys think it would be easier just to hang on to it til i get out there? bc the 4x4 market seems to be almost everywhere i looked on autotrader.
You're going to have a problem selling a 2wd tacoma out there. You will be able to get more money for it in TX.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It's prolly the exact opposite of 4wd vs 2wd # of trucks out here.(Lots of 4wd and very few 2wd).
Check craigslist here vs out there and see average $ for the 2wd and 4wd in each place. If you can get more $ out there you better sell it. If there arent that many 4wd out there and you are picky you might have to travel to get one or pay a higher premium for the one you want.

You might want to sell ou there, be without a car and rent a uhaul to get out here and start your Taco shopping when you arrive.

But again I think it's unanimous from all us Colorado guy's opinion
GET THE 4WD OR ELSE YOU WILL BE SOL IN THE SNOW.

Have you ever lived somplace with snow with 2WD? It sounds like you haven't, because if you have you know you don't want it if you want to feel secure with your truck.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
ky taco
chopper is on a distinguished road

Name: chop
chopper's Tacoma Gallery
i met a guy a few months back that was from colorado. he told me people today are sissy fide, back in his day there wasnt no 4x4. rear wheel drive cars with chains and you will go just fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is 12k the dealerships first offer? That's about what they offered me for my old Infiniti, even though kbb and edmunds said it was worth 17k. It took me about a month and a half to get them to the right number on the trade and the new truck, but I got them up to what I thought the value should be.

Are you looking to get a new or used tacoma? Dealerships have more 'wiggle' room in used cars. I know you owe 14, but how much is it worth? You could also check with carmax. as long as it hasn't been wrecked, getting an appraisal from them might not hurt, and since they will buy your truck outright, you can look to purchase from an individual.

I would find out how much it's worth and make an offer to a dealership. Make sure the offer is fair for both parties involved. If they reject the offer (which they will do), walk out and tell them to call you when they are ready to make a deal.

Also, I've never lived there, but I do have family that does. You are definitely going to want 4 wheel drive.