Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

Trails Close to Denver CO

Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
Trails Close to Denver CO

I just moved here a few weeks ago, and finally got up in Pikes National Forest this weekend for a little drive and did some shooting in the hills. The road I was on was fun, but I would like to find something a little more aggressive not too far from Denver. Anyone got ideas? I just want to get out and explore, hike, shoot some guns, and wheel the truck a little.
Thanks for any info!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
So many about 30mins away. Out in boulder, golden, up 70. Up Hwy 72 in the canyon. Rollinsville, nederland all kids of stuff for sure.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Name: Nate
Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php
Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seener84 View Post
I just moved here a few weeks ago, and finally got up in Pikes National Forest this weekend for a little drive and did some shooting in the hills.
Please make sure you pick up your trash. That includes any remnants of your targets and your shell casings. And please don't shoot up trees. Thanks and welcome to Colorado.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
what trails are the most popular?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Bsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud ofBsly862 has much to be proud of

Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
that is awesome info.
I love that site, haha it has everything.

As for trails close to Denver just head west right up I-70 there are a lot of small easy trails right around Idaho Springs and Georgetown.

Russell Gulch, Barbour Fork, Bill Moore Lake, Saxon Mountain, Argentine Pass
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsly862 View Post
I love that site, haha it has everything.

As for trails close to Denver just head west right up I-70 there are a lot of small easy trails right around Idaho Springs and Georgetown.

Russell Gulch, Barbour Fork, Bill Moore Lake, Saxon Mountain, Argentine Pass
I was looking at the Barbour Fork Trail
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=290
It looks like a good trail and will be closing next week. Can you shoot in this area at all? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm still trying to figure out where you are allowed to shoot. I know there are normally signs, but I would like to find a place to run a trail and stop and plink a little. Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NICE!!! ive been looking for one of these in the southeast for a while, but since im moving out that direction this is great to have. thanks for sharing!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

do most of the trails close for the winter?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
do most of the trails close for the winter?
Only the ones in the parks. There are still tons of random areas to just go wheel. Just drive in the mtns till you find a trail and take it see where it goes. I took one from george town to fairplay once because the highway was shut down I was aired down like a mofo and had to dig and hand winch so much but it was worth it lol.

Wait till it snows good and deep and I will take anyone who wants to go down to the springs to one of my favorite spots.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Moon is on a distinguished road
Moon's Tacoma Gallery
You can shoot anywhere in the National Forest, as long as it is not posted that you cannot. State law states that you must be at least 50ft. from center of road or 500yds. from structures.

Most trails in Colorado do not officially close in the winter, but they do get quite A bit of snow. I find that snow bashing can be more work than fun.

If any of you guys are ever interested in getting out and doing a little plinking/wheeling, feel free to contact me as I know of quite a few places that I frequent in the hills not far from Denver, although this time of year can be pretty cold.

Moon
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
vv I think it's growing

sweet, I've always wanted to do some trails in the snow.

Although I kinda want a winch before I go for it in deep snow.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #15

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
sweet, I've always wanted to do some trails in the snow.

Although I kinda want a winch before I go for it in deep snow.
No winch if you got your self in there you can get your self out The story I stated with the hand winch was my explorer. Never had to with my Tacoma.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Moon is on a distinguished road
Moon's Tacoma Gallery
Having done it many times over the years, here are some things you will need/want on trails in the snow in Colorado:

Go with a group
Lots of food, water and other warm liquids (obvious)
Layers of warm clothing
Extra clothing
Good snow boots/extra boots
Couple of pairs of good gloves
Survival gear/blankets, sleeping bags, tent
Good first aid kit
Tire chains
large tires (pref. at least 33's) fi you don't have any, let the people with the larger tires lead
Tow strap(s) recovery gear
Winch (nice to have at least a couple in the group)
Shovel(s)
Saw/chain saw for firewood or to clear the trail
Lots of matches/fire starter
Maps/compass/
Check weather forcast ahead/weather radio (mountain weather can change in an instance)
Some means of communication, ie...cellphone, CB, two way radios
Let other people know where you are going to be
Full tank of gas/extra gas
Make sure your truck is in good operating condition
A person of the opposite sex is always nice to keep you warm
Of course some firepower

*Be prepared to spend the night if need be*

Moon.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #17

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Having done it many times over the years, here are some things you will need/want on trails in the snow in Colorado:

Go with a group
Lots of food, water and other warm liquids (obvious)
Layers of warm clothing
Extra clothing
Good snow boots/extra boots
Couple of pairs of good gloves
Survival gear/blankets, sleeping bags, tent
Good first aid kit
Tire chains
large tires (pref. at least 33's) fi you don't have any, let the people with the larger tires lead
Tow strap(s) recovery gear
Winch (nice to have at least a couple in the group)
Shovel(s)
Saw/chain saw for firewood or to clear the trail
Lots of matches/fire starter
Maps/compass/
Check weather forcast ahead/weather radio (mountain weather can change in an instance)
Some means of communication, ie...cellphone, CB, two way radios
Let other people know where you are going to be
Full tank of gas/extra gas
Make sure your truck is in good operating condition
A person of the opposite sex is always nice to keep you warm
Of course some firepower

*Be prepared to spend the night if need be*

Moon.
I like it and agree with most but I have 31's and no chains and I will still lead. But you may want to stay back a good 50ft because when I air down my MT's you cant see behind me when I go snow wheeling. I love wheeling in the winter so much more though.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #18

Bsly862's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Only the ones in the parks. There are still tons of random areas to just go wheel. Just drive in the mtns till you find a trail and take it see where it goes. I took one from george town to fairplay once because the highway was shut down I was aired down like a mofo and had to dig and hand winch so much but it was worth it lol.

Wait till it snows good and deep and I will take anyone who wants to go down to the springs to one of my favorite spots.
Where is this place in the springs you speak of?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #19

Ive got family in town this weekend for the holidays and was gonna do a little run mostly to explore and sight see. But sometime soon I would be up for some wheeling in the snow...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #20

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where is this place in the springs you speak of?
Where I grew up, its fun little area to romp around in. Heres the hint the CO springs guys will get it with this hint. You can go from the springs to Cripple Creek this way almost all dirt road.