Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

Colorado mid May trip ??

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Colorado mid May trip ??

Hey guys.

I am planing a mid may trip thru Colorado , Wyoming and all the way up to Montana.
My idea is to drive straight to Denver in 2-3 days. Change the oil on Denver then past Denver -on I 70- take rt 40 north thru Winter Park all the way to rt 34 and Grand Lake.
My intention is to take the Trail Ridge all the way from Grand Lake to Estes Park then from there will make my way to Laramie thru other small roads and continue my quest north.

My questions are -#1- is the road open at that time ???
-#2- how is the weather at that time -typically ???
-#3- I see a lots of secondary roads on the google and the GPS. Are any of this roads passable by that time or I should stick to the tarmac only ?????
--#4-I am planing on camping most of the time and some cheap motels when is raining. How easy is to find a pet friendly- motel. I have a German pointer and it never leave my side. ????
I did this road 3 years ago on a motorcycle but it was in August and the weather was perfect. I wanted to go farther north but I run out of time and had to track back east.

I really appreciate any input or help you my have. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
One thing I've learned from this year is that Colorado weather changes about every five minutes.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
The weather here is super un predictable especially in the mountains. It's gonna be cold at night probably in the teens. Road closers may be an issue too, depends on how much snow is up there and how much more falls. Plan on a couple routes and call ahead a day or two before your trip. www.cotrip.org will have most maintained roads http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm will have major un-maintained roads.
Post a pic or two of your pooch, Gsp's are my favorite dog, hope to get one next spring.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thank you guy's. I will try to be as flexible is possible and I am aware that, up in the mountain, weather can be tricky.
Any specific place that I should not miss ????? I guess gas prices are pretty close to New Jersey $4/ gal for super ???

Thank you
Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i been paying $3.79 for 87 (mid)...85 in the higher elevation is equivalent to 87 on the east coast...
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
USARMYAV11 is on a distinguished road
Army:
USARMYAV11's Tacoma Gallery
When are you leaving in May? Im in MA right now and plan on driving from there to Monument, CO around 24 May? If your up to it we can convoy the Tacomas across the states
Old 05-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMYAV11 View Post
When are you leaving in May? Im in MA right now and plan on driving from there to Monument, CO around 24 May? If your up to it we can convoy the Tacomas across the states
It is not final. I am recuperating from a back surgery and I am waiting for the doctor to give me the OK. There is a possibility that I may have to push it till June.
Either way I don't think that you want to drive at the same speed with me. I am towing a small R-pod camper and even with the supercharger,, the most economic speed is around 60-65 mph. Anything over that and i risk to get less then 10/ mpg.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i been paying $3.79 for 87 (mid)...85 in the higher elevation is equivalent to 87 on the east coast...
Thank you.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
USARMYAV11 is on a distinguished road
Army:
USARMYAV11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
It is not final. I am recuperating from a back surgery and I am waiting for the doctor to give me the OK. There is a possibility that I may have to push it till June.
Either way I don't think that you want to drive at the same speed with me. I am towing a small R-pod camper and even with the supercharger,, the most economic speed is around 60-65 mph. Anything over that and i risk to get less then 10/ mpg.
Ok sounds good. I am kind of in a rush to get back to Colorado before I have to leave to Kentucky. Got to spend as much time in Colorado before the Army steals it away from me.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMYAV11 View Post
Ok sounds good. I am kind of in a rush to get back to Colorado before I have to leave to Kentucky. Got to spend as much time in Colorado before the Army steals it away from me.
Good luck and have a safe trip.