1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colorado Towing thread

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by trailbuilt, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    trailbuilt

trailbuilt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have read thought the towing thread and those flatlander's are crazy. As you all know we do not live on the same planet as them and there is no way I can tow 5000lbs with my 11 taco... What are some of you towing in the mountains? My general rule of thumb is cut the towing rating in half and thats what you can tow in the mountain on a regular basis. My last truck was rated at 10k and I struggled towing 6k in the mountains. I am thinking in Colorado the taco should tow 3k max without killing it. thoughts? post up some pics of what your towing.

I am in the market for a camper.

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    What's your truck?

Not that I could ever afford it .. but I sure would like one of these: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/teardrop.html. But for now, my "trailer" is a shell and a Bedrug in the back.

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    trailbuilt

trailbuilt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    2011 DC 4wd.

4. Mar 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Jaymtb

Jaymtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Colorado Mtns.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC ARE MX
    With a tow Pkg and trailer brakes there's still the problem of heating up the transmission. At high altitudes or high temperatures there is less cooling capacity in the air. It has been found that the stock trans cooler in the tow pkg. is not up to the task of towing and many have replaced it with a better unit. What a PITA ! Someone posted that the Trans Temp warning light comes on at 300 F. - which means that the oil and likely the trans is already cooked.
    I tow a lot in Colorado, the West and Mexico with a TRDOR V6 AT. It will surprise you to weigh the combined unit loaded for a long trip. With a trailer that is to be 1200# dry, the overall weight with 2 people in the truck would get to 8200# with all the stuff we take- sea kayaks, bikes, food, camping gear, tools, etc. A lot of trailer dry weights are fiction. It has a Scangage II that tracks the 2 Trans Temps. If you push it up hill it is easy to start running over 225+ degrees in the Trans. The trick is to watch the trans temps and back off the power to keep the trans cool. Engine braking downhill does not heat the trans very much. A good trick is to slow down approaching the top of a pass and downshift so that you don't have to use the brakes so much. With heavy CDL trucks we used 1 gear lower going down than going up. The factory tow ratings are a whole 'nother song when you are going over steep mountain passes. Cheers

5. Mar 30, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Martyinco

Martyinco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well done on the thread dig up! 8 years! That’s gotta be a record, awesome :thumbsup:

6. Mar 30, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    [​IMG]

Don't hold your breath for OP to respond... they haven't logged in since 2013.

Martyinco likes this.
  7. Mar 31, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I have seen the same w/ my scan gauge. I've also seen it show over 200* when not pulling, in cool air, and rain. So I don't know how much I trust the temp reading and I couldn't tell you where it's taken. I had to remove the warning alarm only after increasing the warning temp as it was so annoying going off when there was clearly no issues with the tranny overheating. Also, why would Toyota include a trans temp warning that only comes on in excess of 300*? It would be fruitless and really just a warning light to tell you it's time to replace your tranny soon. I've also have never heard of one auto tranny failure in 2nd gens. I'm sure they exist, but they certainly are rare. And you know people are abusing these trucks daily.

Now watch my tranny blow up tomorrow. :anonymous:

Also, it's not much more to replace an auto tranny w/ a new/rebuilt vs. changing a clutch. The only caveat is if you do the labor yourself on the clutch as I think it's much more labor intensive (read more billable hours) than replacing an auto. Which is just another two reasons, cost and ease, to go w/ an auto vs. manual.

Edit: meaning you can kinda think of it as a wear item much like a clutch.

8. Mar 31, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    ^Since we're bringing up the past and all. Are you my wife?:anonymous:

Martyinco likes this.
  9. Mar 31, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    Martyinco

Member:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Mar 31, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    Wulf

Wulf no brain just damage

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    1789 28th St, Boulder, CO 80301
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    I towed 15k over monarch pass no problem

with my Powerstroke :luvya:

WarFab Armor likes this.
  11. Jun 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    smokering

smokering Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    1996 White 4Runner; 2016 White DCLB TRD OR Premium
    A.R.E. Topper, Ham Radio , TRD Pro 17 wheels
    Looking at towing my boat (1800 lbs) to Blue Mesa in late July. This requires a ride over Monarch pass. I’ve never pulled the trailer over a pass. The 2016 DCLB has the towing package. The boat does not have trailer brakes. If I add a scan gauge, will I just have more to worry about ?

Any suggestions ?

12. Jun 28, 2020 at 3:45 AM
    Martyinco

Member:
    1800lbs? Just go, you’ll be fine

WarFab Armor likes this.
  13. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    No trailer brakes would be my biggest concern. Doable but when going downhill be mindful of brake heat. Just start slow and keep it in a gear that will help it from just freewheeling. In those situations I generally brake fairly hard when I do brake and get to a slower speed and allow gravity to bring me back up to speed and repeat.

Are there no brakes or are they non functioning?

14. Jun 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    smokering

smokering Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    1996 White 4Runner; 2016 White DCLB TRD OR Premium
    A.R.E. Topper, Ham Radio , TRD Pro 17 wheels
    No brakes. I’ve thought about buying new hubs with brakes from trailers.com and adding a brake controller. One of the reasons I bought my truck this month was to pull the boat to some lakes over 30 miles away from home: Blue Mesa, Flaming Gorge, ...

15. Jun 28, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    If it was me, I would add brakes or get a new trailer with brakes. But I'm not the one pulling and only you can determine if it's needed or not. Otherwise, just be mindful and you'll be good to go. Honestly, I have very minimal issues in the mountains pulling a trailer and brakes coming down a pass is not my biggest concern in regards to trailer brakes. It's the panic stops that I'm mostly concerned with. The braking you're not able to predict.

You'll be good. :thumbsup:

Wulf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top