Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

Beginner Colorado trails?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Beginner Colorado trails?

My wife and I will be going to Colorado in August for about a week long vacation, and the primary reason for the trip is basically enjoying nature and the sights.

We've got a completely stock 2013 TRD Off Road, we'll be alone, and i'm new to offroad driving..so I don't want anything tough where we might get stuck in the middle of nowhere or that a stock truck can't handle, but we really want to drive some mountain trails and such to get some good scenic views. Kind of looking for some of those trails that a passenger car couldn't dream of doing, but a stock 4x4 can do without much concern.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Dillard has a spectacular aura aboutDillard has a spectacular aura aboutDillard has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dillard
Dillard's Tacoma Gallery
What part of Colorado will you be in?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
We'll be up around Colorado Springs some to do Pikes Peak, and most of the rest of the trip will be in the Salida area. We don't have much at all in the way of set plans, so nearly the whole trip will be primarily driving trails, camping, and sightseeing. Just want to make sure I don't get onto anything extreme, or spend the whole trip driving aimlessly looking for places that would be a good drive.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Old stage coach road in the springs is very mild and plenty of camping opportunities.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have the Colorado version of this book but if it anything like the California edition, you will have all the info you would want on 4wd trails in Colorado.

Link

Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Old Fart
Rival14 has a spectacular aura aboutRival14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dave, The Lip Ripper Extraordinaire
Rival14's Tacoma Gallery
Traildamage.com
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival14 View Post
Traildamage.com
This. Also, like someone else mentioned - if you're looking for a wheeling buddy, I'm more than happy to accompany you. You might look into slaugherhouse gulch as it's a pretty trail that will challenge your stock truck (I did it several times in stock trim). Let me know when you're up here - Sundays will work best for me in August.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Mt Princeton is a nice scenic trail that Subarus can handle.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely have some to look into further, and some planning to do. My wife liked the history of Mosquito Pass, and the views she saw on another forum. Would that one be fairly simple?

And for the couple of you that volunteered to accompany us, I might very well take you up on that! Let you know when I have specific dates, and if you're free that would be great.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
http://goo.gl/maps/vGATv

That's a good easy run for a stock truck. Very scenic through one of the big wildfire areas and back toward the springs.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
We went back in March and attempted to get to Camp Bird Mine outside of Ouray but was met with a solid sheet of ice on a steep corner and had to turn around in a really sketchy place. In August you could take this trail completely to Telluride as it's part of the Imogene Pass. I highly recommend a trip to Ouray if you've never been. Beautiful country. I think I've been on every trail in the San Juan's over the years. Still never gets old.

Video of part of the trial.

The lower section below the treeline was actually much worse and I had to put it in 4wd because of the snow, ice, and mud.
I don't recommend doing what I did at this time of year.

Hit the gear wheel at the bottom to put it in HD

http://youtu.be/w_0nuoCWzsY

Coming back down

http://youtu.be/rnyvUdnBbAw

Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Rampart Range Road is an easy drive west of Colorado Springs. You start or end at Garden of the Gods.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
deeppowder is on a distinguished road
deeppowder's Tacoma Gallery
Southwest has great trails for all abilities. Look at Ophir pass and cinnamon pass great for beginner off road. Feeling good then move to engineer and Imogene pass. Still drivable in stock and nothing too tricky but some big exposure. Feeling really good then tackle black bear(Certainly stock tacoma could do it but I would not). Other easy passes in the area are Boland pass, Last Dollar Rd and Im sure there are other. Feel free to pm me for camping areas and even discounts on lodging in Telluride(I manage the Camels Garden Hotel)
Have Fun!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Imogene pass, I did it in 2H and it's very scenic but there are some steep drop offs & it's not easy for the faint hearted.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Imogene pass, I did it in 2H and it's very scenic but there are some steep drop offs & it's not easy for the faint hearted.
Yup... the videos above were a few hundred feet but it gets steeper as you go.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I dont have the Colorado version of this book but if it anything like the California edition, you will have all the info you would want on 4wd trails in Colorado.

Link

I just got this book a week ago, and it's very informative. For $20-$30 from wherever you buy, you'll get your money's worth for even your short visit. And just to be sappy, you'll have a keepsake to remember your adventure. You know, to mark where you went, saw that herd of elk, got chased buy a bear. Stuff like that.
I'm new to off-roading myself, and this is a great guide to get to know the mountains that are in my back yard. Website here (you can get cheaper prices elsewhere)... http://www.funtreks.com/
Old 06-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
JDM is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
JDM's Tacoma Gallery
A good topic... just realize that the OP was doing the trip in Aug 2013.

If you take your Funtreks book to Kinkos, you can have the binder removed and they'll spiral bound it (assuming they still offer this service). Makes it much easier to use.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #19
Country is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shedCountry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Lance Criminal, STA Plt.
Name: Country
Country's Tacoma Gallery
Give me some places to go off-roading/camping for 4 days

Hey guys, I am currently in Afghanistan but when I return home end of summer my brother and I would like to take our tacos on an off-road/camping expedition for about 4 days. Meaning we start at one end of a national preserve and finish say 80 miles or so away. We want to get away from civilization and be completely self sufficient living off of what we pack in our tacos. We are from east Texas and will be driving up, so if anyone could please tell us which parks or preserves where we can do an expedition like this would be greatly appreciated. We don't want any trails that are gonna break our trucks. Out plan is to drive and off-road during the day and camp each night at different locations.

Thanks for the advice and help

Products Discussed in this Thread