View Poll Results: Interested in doing the Colorado BDR
Hell Yes I'm IN! 1 8.33%
Maybe depending on dates 7 58.33%
Maybe for some other reason 0 0%
Potato 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Capt'n Planet Mofo
ebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: E-6
Name: Brandon
ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Colorado BDR? Anyone Interested

Just wondering if anyone is interested in running the Colorado Back Country Discovery Route. It's a 675 Dirt (mostly) route that goes from 4 Corners to the Wyoming border

Colorado BDR

It was designed by some adventure motorcyclists who (if you search their site) have several states they've accomplished, and a few more they're in the process of doing.

Quote:
The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route is a scenic ride across the state of Colorado, beginning in Four Corners and finishing at the Wyoming Border. The route has been created specifically for dual-sport and adventure motorcyclists who are interested in exploring Colorado’s majestic high-mountain ranges and historic mining country.

This 675-mile south-to-north route utilizes many remote and high-elevation dirt roads and leads riders through a number of iconic locations including Telluride, San Juan Mountains, Continental Divide, Collegiate Range, Northern Rocky Mountains and historic Leadville, along the Colorado River.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=pkS-XI4w61s

How may days will this take? I think this will take 4 MAYBE 5 days depending on how slow people move, traffic, issues etc, Including getting to 4 corners and back from Wyoming.

Will my truck be able to do it? A stock pickup could do most if not all. 100% of the trail is road, some jeep trail, but no rock crawling or technical stuff. This is a VERY scenic off road route, but not much of a vehicle or driver challenge

When? Thinking Labor Day Weekend would be best. it's a 3 day weekend so most won't have to take much time off of work, and it's a bit earlier than when the Motorcyclists like to go (mid to late September)

Can I get GPS Tracks Yup! they offer them for free here just keep in mind they've got it broken up into 6 days for motorcycles, if you've ever ridden all day off road you'll know why, it takes a HUGE toll on your body so 150-200 miles in a day is A LOT

Quote:
COBDR FAQ
Below are answers to some Frequently Asked Questions about the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route.

How far between gas stops?
The longest gap between gas stations is approximately 121 miles from Gypsum to Steamboat Springs. There is gas at Rancho Del Rio, but it’s not guaranteed and they only carry low octane gas.

What is the COBDR?
The Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) is a mostly off-road motorcycle route across Colorado from New Mexico to Wyoming. The South to North route winds through the high elevations such as the San Juan mountains and relaxing segments such as the Colorado River Rd. The route includes dirt, gravel, and pavement surfaces and may include rocks, ruts, sand, mud and snow depending on time of year and conditions. The route can be completed in 4-6 days depending on pace, and is also accessible by four-wheel drive vehicles, as the entire route is at least double-track.

Do I have to camp?
No, you can complete the COBDR using motels and restaurants fairly easily.

Can I build a camp fire?
In most cases camp fires are allowed, but check with local Ranger Stations to determine if campfires are allowed before you build one. Forest fires are a threat during parts of the year and the rules that manage this risk must be followed. Be sure to fully extinguish fires so they are DEAD-OUT. Use water to ensure a fire is fully extinguished and the ground is left cool and wet.

Where do I camp?
There are many campgrounds and suitable dry camping locations along the route. The Butler Motorcycle Map for the COBDR has a tent icon showing campgrounds on the route and many near the route. The COBDR Butler Map is available at www.touratech-usa.com or www.butlermaps.com.

Is there water on the route?
There are a few natural water sources along this route however, depending on the snow pack, some may not running. You can find potable water in the towns along the way. It is suggested that plenty of water is carried for personal and cooking use. Here is a video on water filtration filmed in the Oregon Backcountry: http://youtu.be/vqOFZAoZdTU

Where can I find the GPS tracks for the COBDR?
The tracks for the route can be downloaded free of charge online at http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

Why do I need paper maps when I have GPS tracks?
Always bring a complete set of maps for the area you plan to ride. They have good information about roads, water sources, and are an indispensable resource when the GPS doesn't work, or is giving questionable advice. Unplanned events can occur and having paper/synthetic maps of the area can be a life saver. National Forest maps are available at http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#U and local Ranger Stations. COBDR Butler Motorcycle Maps are available at www.touratech-usa.com or www.butlermaps.com.

What is the ideal bike to use?
Any bike that has a license plate, can run knobby tires, is set-up to carry the gear you plan to bring, and has the fuel range to make the distance between gas stops. Most adventure or dual-sport motorcycles will be suitable for the trip. Choose the bike that you are the most comfortable riding in desert and mountain terrain.

What GPS should I use?
Any GPS unit capable of displaying 10 track logs with a minimum of 500 points each is suitable for use on the COBDR. Garmin models that work best for this application are: Zumo 665/660, Montana, GPSMap 60, 62, 76, 78 and 276. Other GPS manufacturers may have units that will work. Check the technical specs to determine suitability.

How difficult is the route?
The COBDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4x4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route. Many of the roads are in remote areas and reach high elevation areas where road maintenance is minimal or non-existent. You can expect to cover sections of road with deep ruts, loose rocks, sand and other challenges. There are also sections that have deep sand. Road conditions change from week to week based on the recent weather. When you see signs that read, “Roads maybe impassable when wet”, use caution, roads become very slick and can be impassable. You may also encounter sections that have trees or branches over the road. There are alternate "easier" routes around a few of the most challenging sections. Depending on time of year and weather, there may be a few small deep water crossings. Flash floods are frequent during summer storms. Don’t cross flooded washes. Wait until water subsides.

What time of year can I do the COBDR?
The COBDR is best from July-September and sometimes October if no early snow storms have occurred. The route can be done in June, but snowpack in the high mtns may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. There have been some years where the snow has not cleared from the high country until the last week of July.

Are there any gates on the route?
Yes, there are several gates on the route. Most remain open unless BLM or NFS has closed them due to snow closure.

What tires should I use for the COBDR?
DOT approved knobby tires (such as Continental TKC 80 or Dunlop 606) are strongly recommended.

What weather concerns should I have?
Colorado has fast moving thunder storms during the summer months. These storms usually build in the mountains in the early afternoon and usually contain lightning, hail stones and heavy downpours. It’s recommended you go over the high passes early in the day.

What is the highest elevation on the COBDR?
The highest elevations are reached in section where California Pass reaches nearly 13,000 feet. The route travels at high elevations for long distances and is above 8,000 feet the majority of the time.

How long does it take to run the COBDR?
Most people average 150 miles a day on a backcountry motorcycle trip. Plan on doing this route in 4-6 days depending on how fast you want to travel and how early you want to roll out of camp.

Is there cell phone coverage on the route?
Much of this route is remote and out of reach for cell phone towers. There will be long sections with no coverage. Your best bet is to talk or text in the towns or on top of mountains. You will be surprised where you get coverage and where you don't. A satellite communication device is a good idea in the backcountry.

How do I get information on current road conditions?
We are working to include information on current road conditions on our website based on other riders’ reports. In the meantime, you can find the most up to date roads information on www.bushducks.com

Can the Route be done North to South?
Yes the route can be done North to South.

How Bad is the Sand Really?
This is a tough question to answer because conditions are constantly changing. If the weather has been moist or temps have been cool, the sand will be firmer and significantly easier to ride. If it hasn’t been hot for some time, the sand becomes very soft and deep. So the bottom line is, learn to ride in deep sand before your trip which will make your ride more enjoyable.

What about the Clay?
There are several sections where the road is a clay surface north of Haggerman Pass. When wet, these sections become very slick and virtually impassable. When you encounter wet clay roads, a higher gear selection is recommended to keep your rear wheel from sliding. Slow and steady will get you through, but in some cases travel will come to a halt due to slick conditions.

Do I need to worry about Altitude Sickness?
Altitude sickness is certainly possible on this ride. The COBDR reaches elevations of over 10,000 feet many times so plan your ride responsibly. The higher and faster you go up, the greater risk you are for symptoms. Consider spending a night or two at moderate elevation if you are prone to altitude sickness. It’s always best to ride up high, sleep down low. Altitude sickness, also referred to as Acute Mountain Sickness, is the illness causing effect of high altitude on the human body. The exact mechanism by which it occurs is unknown, but the severity of symptoms can vary from mild to life threatening.

Common symptoms of High Altitude Sickness / Acute Mountain Sickness include: fatigue, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, muscle cramping, insomnia, elevated blood pressure, shortness of breath, water retention and dehydration. Recognizing the symptoms of High Altitude Sickness, getting to a lower elevation, using supplemental oxygen, staying hydrated with water and Acli-Mate® Mountain Sport Drink may help to prevent or reduce the severity of altitude sickness. (Immediate medical attention is advised for moderate to severe AMS!)
So any interest?
Attached Thumbnails
Colorado BDR?  Anyone Interested-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Mr Lazy
mr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
mr optimist's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Capt'n Planet Mofo
ebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedebbs15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Mr Lazy
mr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr optimist is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
mr optimist's Tacoma Gallery
I am in. I will probably do 4 Corners to Leadville and then head home.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Dumbazz
TheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TheTimmyJimmy's Tacoma Gallery
Very interested
Old 03-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Clymber is on a distinguished road
Clymber's Tacoma Gallery
Im interested depending on when. Found it recently when hunting the net. Think fall would be a great time
Old 03-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Capt'n Planet Mofo

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
DIRKA DIRKA
Just so you know... that's afgani for I'm in 100% and gonna pay for everyone's gas
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe... depends on dates.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt2987 View Post
I'm in this category. Could be fun.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Capt'n Planet Mofo

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I'm in this category. Could be fun.
I'm leaning towards 29 Aug through 2 Aug over Labor-day weekend... maybe shift it one way or the other to accommodate the group. It's a 4 day weekend for me... so I wouldn't need to take but a day or two of leave.

it's also the week before a friend of mine is going to ride it with his dad so I can report back to him on the conditions of the route.

but it's not in stone... when would work best for you guys?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
I start my 4 Day Aug 30th. Maybe pick up in the middle. Not sure about getting back after that...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I work the 30/31st but I have people that owe me trades, so days off aren't a problem. I would just have to see about a baby sitter for my daughter.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
Capt'n Planet Mofo

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I start my 4 Day Aug 30th. Maybe pick up in the middle. Not sure about getting back after that...
Ok... well it's 8 hrs from Denver to 4 corners according to Google...
4 hrs to Lake City (goal for end of day one 220 mile day)
6.5 Hrs to Telluride (motorcycle end of day one 125 miles or so)
so you could EASILY meet us in Lake City and continue the rest with us and not have to even leave Denver until after lunch.

course that all depends on what people want to do... I want to camp, but some may want to hotel it... no judgement... I just prefer to be out in the woods away from everything... plus it's much better on my wallet
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
I'm subscribing to this thread in the hopes I can join. I'll be looking for a job starting this summer and can't say what days I can take off. If I can go I'll be happy to do some primitive camping.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
Capt'n Planet Mofo

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
I'm subscribing to this thread in the hopes I can join. I'll be looking for a job starting this summer and can't say what days I can take off. If I can go I'll be happy to do some primitive camping.
Awesome! Good luck with the job and hopefully you can swing it... if not you should at least try to connect for the days your off!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
Capt'n Planet Mofo

ebbs15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I work the 30/31st but I have people that owe me trades, so days off aren't a problem. I would just have to see about a baby sitter for my daughter.
why not bring her a long? no pressure just thought since it doesn't have any real technical area's it'd just be a nice long camping vacation with dad
Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #19
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
Good point. It's funny that I just read about this trail on expedition portal....

Looks like a great time. Ideally I would make it a longer trip to take advantage of the fishing, hiking and mountain biking the trail passes through.

Do you know what the average driving times are? If we do a little over 100 miles a day on dirt roads it doesn't seem like that leaves much time for anything else