1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

headed to co to camp and do some fly fishing

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by scubadiver, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    scubadiver

scubadiver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Pretty pumped finally got some time off work and headed up to CO. next Sunday. I am thinking I am going to try and camp somewhere around Gunnison. Its been about 15 years since I have been up there and about 5 since I have got to break the fly rod out.

Looking for any suggestions on places to camp and fish. Im pretty self sufficient so not really looking for a camp ground. Also truck is a stock 4x4 so cant do any extreme trails to get around.

Or if you have some other fav spot not near Gunnison I am all ears.

Thanks

2. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Camp up by Taylor res, it is NF on the way up Cottonwood pass, lots of cool spots. Fish the Taylor below the dam for 25"ers, then lower on the Taylor for better access, the Gunny really anywhere, below Almont is pretty solid, East Fork up towards Crested Butte. If you want an awesome drive and some fishing, head up past Gothic to Schofield Pass, there is a lake with cuttys up there. The Slate around CB is pretty good as well, lots of access above CB. Let me know if you need more ideas :D

3. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    scubadiver

Member:
    DFW Texas
    awesome thanks. Are any permits needed for camping on the NF area? Also any fly suggestions? Once again thanks Trying to get this last min trip put together.

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    No permits needed. Below the dam is a very unique tailwater section that requires small flies, mostly midge and mayfly nymphs, the rest of the Taylor is freestoneesque, try typical summer patterns like stones, larger mayflys etc. there. The Slate, East fork and Emerald lake are in typical high country feed mode, most attractor patterns should turn heads. There are a few fly shops in Gunnison, hit them up for better and more specific info.

You can also go up to the inlet of Taylor res and follow the creek up for some good fishing.

Here is a link for the trail I mentioned out of Crested Butte to the lake, also worth checking out that is not too hard of a trail is Tin Cup pass, although you wont be able to get over it yet from snow, a pic when we were up there over the 4th is below, but the side you are on is fine until you get to the top. Going to the top of Cottonwood pass should not be missed either, and is just a dirt road.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=396

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=120

336_zps4290f723_b8748aa2dcfda0cba0c55133112d791e6631d557.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  5. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    scubadiver

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Thanks for all the info. I will have to check out those trails for sure.

6. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    2014 tacoma

2014 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO, USA
    Vehicle:
    14 Access TRD offroad
    Another vote for camping in taylor park and fishing below the dam.

I usually camp on the East side of the reservoir up texas creek, then either ride ATV's or fish all day when I'm there.

That stretch of river always gets hammered by people but there are plenty of fish in there, they are a bit leader shy though. I don't fish with dry flies much but I was just there a few weeks ago and had good luck as usual with a bead headed san juan worm trailered by an assortment of 18-24 nymph flies (pheasant tail, copper john, rs2, ect...). I was hooking something at least every 30 minutes. And these fish are very leader shy 5x or smaller and put that strike indicator up about 5' above the first fly. I like the fishing between the bridge and the dam but below the bridge is good too:) Texas creek has some nice little brook trout fishing too but you won't pull anything out bigger than 12", but there are holes that probably only get fished once every few years though.

7. Jul 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    scubadiver

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Thanks a lot for the info. Just got my fly stuff altogether and a new leader put on. Hopefully I have some luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top