So I'm starting to build a couple "new to me" vehicles. Moving my 96 4runner and 83 pickup to new owners. I recently purchased a 94 pickup and 2004 4runner, both with blown head gaskets. The 94 will be a very slow build to a wheeler while the 2004 needs to be up and running asap. I didn't want to get rid of my 1996 4runner but I needed slightly more family room and greater towing ability.
The 2004 4runner is a v6. It has a blown head gasket, leaking into cylinder #6. This is a common failure point that I have seen, this will be my 10th head gasket replacement on the GR motor family. I want to say they have only been 4runners, I'm not sure though.
I was able to start the tear down today. As you can see I just got the timing cover off before I had to leave. Tomorrow will be the head removal and assembly if I'm not slacking like I was today.
1st mod! (some of my slacking). Running boards removed, I guess that is not a mod though.
Test fitting the 255s and installing the tire pressure sensors.
The plan is for about 3" of lift. OME because of a local used set of fronts will save money for a front bumper and sliders. I'm not sure on who's bumpers/sliders yet. Demello and Addicted look good.
I'll get some heads off pictures tomorrow.