Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

A fatkid build

Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
thefatkid is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
thefatkid's Tacoma Gallery
A fatkid build

So I'm starting to build a couple "new to me" vehicles. Moving my 96 4runner and 83 pickup to new owners. I recently purchased a 94 pickup and 2004 4runner, both with blown head gaskets. The 94 will be a very slow build to a wheeler while the 2004 needs to be up and running asap. I didn't want to get rid of my 1996 4runner but I needed slightly more family room and greater towing ability.

The 2004 4runner is a v6. It has a blown head gasket, leaking into cylinder #6. This is a common failure point that I have seen, this will be my 10th head gasket replacement on the GR motor family. I want to say they have only been 4runners, I'm not sure though.

I was able to start the tear down today. As you can see I just got the timing cover off before I had to leave. Tomorrow will be the head removal and assembly if I'm not slacking like I was today.

1st mod! (some of my slacking). Running boards removed, I guess that is not a mod though.

Test fitting the 255s and installing the tire pressure sensors.

The plan is for about 3" of lift. OME because of a local used set of fronts will save money for a front bumper and sliders. I'm not sure on who's bumpers/sliders yet. Demello and Addicted look good.

I'll get some heads off pictures tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up an '06 4runner for the wife a couple months ago. Hopefully it doesn't kill headgaskets.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to the progress on this beast.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
avsfreak1234 is on a distinguished road
avsfreak1234's Tacoma Gallery
cool to see you building a 4th gen!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
I was able to finish up the head gaskets at about 6 on Saturday. It feels like most of the time is spent scraping the FIPG off of the mating surface. I measured for deck warping and couldn't get a .0015" gauge in anywhere.

Cleaning

The crosshatch looks great, this is at 200k miles. Don't mind the spots, I didn't clean it at all yet.

I didn't get any more pictures as I was really pressed for time to be able to finish it in time. The guides for the chain showed no wear at all. The cylinder walls looked great. I got lucky and found out that this truck has a great national service history, every 3-4k for an oil change.

I put a call into Addicted Off Road. They are starting to work on a production run of the 4th gen front bumpers. I'll order on up tomorrow and it looks like a 8-10week wait time. The wait sucks but the product looks great. I'm also thinking about his HD sliders, I meant to ask him if they can be built without a kick out. I'm not too fond of slider kick outs.

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index...roducts_id=699

I will be ordering my rear lift from Toytec tomorrow. I hope to have it tomorrow really. I might be able to use a parts driver to pick them up so I can install the lift after work. I'm sure I'll find a seized bushing or 4, they were all stuck on my 3rd gen.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man, congrats on the new rig, let me know if you have any 4th gen questions. Awesome doing the HG yourself.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Sweet man, congrats on the new rig, let me know if you have any 4th gen questions. Awesome doing the HG yourself.
Thanks, I don't really have many questions yet, just one I can think of. Do you have a locker and how does it work with the a-trac?

Pre-order in for Addicted Front bumper and Sliders.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
odomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shedodomandr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
odomandr's Tacoma Gallery
FYI the toytec customer appreciation day/picnic is not this weekend but next. Might be able to get a bit of a discount on parts from them if you can wait a bit. Others may be able to chime in on a percentage off that day but they definitely had some stuff discounted and a raffle for some sweet stuff
Old 07-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
:viol ent::bria nr:
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
A little update, I did get the lift on tonight. It was a fighter but I did win in the end. The front is OME shocks with 886 springs (will have a winch bumper in 8-10 weeks). An the rear is the ToyTec superflex HD springs and OME shocks. The ride is firm but not jarring.

I will be needing upper control arms. I could not get the camber or caster where I want them. I will wait until I get the bumper and sliders on before I make a decision.

I looked up the color code and found out it was Old Man Tan
Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Now those 255's look right. Nice lift. I will be curious if you get the rear output slip with the lift on like my wives has.

Oh and at your color.