Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

Any Colorado power plant workers here?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Watt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
Watt maker's Tacoma Gallery
Any Colorado power plant workers here?

Currently I work at a coal-fired plant (245 MW) in western NM. My wife and I love Colorado and we both are beginning to hate NM. Not really NM itself but some of the BS going on here. Having said that, I am looking to apply at some power plants in Colorado but I'm not sure which ones to apply at. The power plant in Craig is owned by the same company I work for now so I'm thinking it would just be a transfer.

Ideally, I want what everybody else does. Good job, good people to work around, good company to work for, and some job stability. It would suck to transfer to a different plant only to have it shut down in a year.

The another part of the equation is good schools. I have two kids and would like them to be able to go to good schools. The schools here kind of suck.

If anybody has any tips, leads, experience, really anything, please let me know. You can PM me as well if that works better for you.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Xcel is the biggest power company here, they have 3-4 coal plants in the Denver area, and another 3-4 in CO. Tri-State is I am assuming is who you currently work for, thus the Craig plant, Xcel also has one there.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Duke is on a distinguished road
Duke's Tacoma Gallery
Xcel is closing their Boulder coal plant and converting the Cherokee plant to natural gas. I believe they're working to convert most, if not all, of their coal plants to natural gas in CO as part of the Clean air Clean jobs act.

That said, they're retiring a lot of the coal guys and likely looking to hire younger guys that they can train on the gas equipment. Might be a good opportunity for you.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Watt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Xcel is closing their Boulder coal plant and converting the Cherokee plant to natural gas. I believe they're working to convert most, if not all, of their coal plants to natural gas in CO as part of the Clean air Clean jobs act.

That said, they're retiring a lot of the coal guys and likely looking to hire younger guys that they can train on the gas equipment. Might be a good opportunity for you.
I'll take that as good news. I've never worked for Xcel but I've heard good things about them.

Right now just about every coal plant has a target on it. I've been thinking of making the jump to a natural gas plant anyway. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Xcel is the biggest power company here, they have 3-4 coal plants in the Denver area, and another 3-4 in CO. Tri-State is I am assuming is who you currently work for, thus the Craig plant, Xcel also has one there.
Yes, I'm currently with Tri-State. They've been good to me and I like what I do, just wish the plant was somewhere else.

Our plant is kind of in the middle of nowhere which is a beautiful area but once you get back to town it's low-life city. I've had enough.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not particularly familiar with the ins and outs of the power plant industry but I have a few power plants as customers. A few I know of are Platte River Power out of Wellington and Ft. Collins, Front Range Energy in northern Colorado and Holy Cross Energy in Glenwood Springs.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
COHO is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st. Cav.
Name: Mike
COHO's Tacoma Gallery
Power Plant

You could try PRPA in Wellington, CO.