Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Colorado

Notices

BEST/WORST PLACES TO LIVE IN CO? WILL BE MOVING

Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
TXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TXTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
BEST/WORST PLACES TO LIVE IN CO? WILL BE MOVING

Hey everyone, I'll be moving from Texas to Colorado in the next year after I returned to school to finish my degree. I've been to Boulder, Denver, Estes Park, Crested Butte, Copper Mountain to ski, but it has been years since. I'm looking for an area that is within reasonable driving distance to hike/backpack/ski that isn't too crazy expensive, if that's even possible. I have some friends in Parker, but I'm not sure if I want to live there. Thanks for the input! Also, do the salted roads in the winter take a big toll on the taco frames?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Move to the part of Colorado that's 20 miles down the road from here and you won't miss the drier, dustier parts of Texas at all. You can hike and backpack all you want in the hundreds of thousands of acres of National Grassland and if you want to go skiing, Breckenridge is only a brief seven-hour drive away. There is a lot of pheasant, quail, coyote, mule deer and pronghorn hunting though, or at least was until it stopped raining a few years back. Now the hunting is just that much more fun as it's more challenging. As there is no water you would have a hard time making your Tacoma's frame rust if you tried.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
Move to the part of Colorado that's 20 miles down the road from here and you won't miss the drier, dustier parts of Texas at all. You can hike and backpack all you want in the hundreds of thousands of acres of National Grassland and if you want to go skiing, Breckenridge is only a brief seven-hour drive away. There is a lot of pheasant, quail, coyote, mule deer and pronghorn hunting though, or at least was until it stopped raining a few years back. Now the hunting is just that much more fun as it's more challenging. As there is no water you would have a hard time making your Tacoma's frame rust if you tried.
LOL, paradise!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
JDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jimmy
JDM's Tacoma Gallery
"Best" is quite subjective. Do you have work requirements? If not, then I wouldn't touch the Front Range with a 10' pole. I'd be in the mountains somewhere. Pretty easy to be within all the fun that way.

What's a "reasonable" distance to skiing for you? Once you figure that out, Google Maps has the ski areas and resorts marked (both lifts and runs; oh, and not all are created equal either; may want to figure out what type of skiing is important to you and pick areas/resorts that have those terrain features) and start measuring away from them (if you're wanting to be less than an hour away from them).
Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Since I am able to work from home and then travel from time to time, I chose Buena Vista, CO. There is tons of hiking, off-roading, hunting, fishing, river activities ect all right out my door. Copper Mountain is only an hour away to the north, but there is hardly any traffic to get there. Monarch is just 45 minutes southwest of us, so that is another option as well.
I love having hiking trails, hot springs, off road trails all within 15-30 minutes from the house. Plus the views are pretty awesome as well.

There are a ton of other areas as well, I picked Buena Vista since I already had some friends that lived in the area.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
CO MTN Steve is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: a NOOB for now
CO MTN Steve's Tacoma Gallery
Steamboat offers attractive housing costs for a mountain town, not to mention a river right through town to cure your tubbing needs.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
TXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
Where are we talking?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
"Best" is quite subjective. Do you have work requirements? If not, then I wouldn't touch the Front Range with a 10' pole. I'd be in the mountains somewhere. Pretty easy to be within all the fun that way.

What's a "reasonable" distance to skiing for you? Once you figure that out, Google Maps has the ski areas and resorts marked (both lifts and runs; oh, and not all are created equal either; may want to figure out what type of skiing is important to you and pick areas/resorts that have those terrain features) and start measuring away from them (if you're wanting to be less than an hour away from them).
Yes, I'm going to have work requirements. Part of where I live will be where I get a job. I would like to be in a decent sized city, at least the size of Boulder, but in the field I'm going into, I should have several options. I'm willing to drive a couple hours to ski, but mostly I want to be in a city that's pretty active, within 30-45 min drive to hike/backpack etc.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTaco13 View Post
Where are we talking?
Essentially, anywhere east of the front range.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
nice thread! i want to move to CO too. i applied for jobs in Boulder and Ft. Collins. i'm also applying for a job at Colorado Springs but i'm leaning towards the other two.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
nice thread! i want to move to CO too. i applied for jobs in Boulder and Ft. Collins. i'm also applying for a job at Colorado Springs but i'm leaning towards the other two.
It's a really cool place. Wish I had moved there years ago. Better late than never I guess!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
i applied for a job in Boulder but didn't get past the online video interview. i'm stoked that the same job opened up again so i reapplied and just got another interview today. i would love to live in Boulder.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Fort Collins area FTW!
Can I come live in your garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
i applied for a job in Boulder but didn't get past the online video interview. i'm stoked that the same job opened up again so i reapplied and just got another interview today. i would love to live in Boulder.
Said noone ever

it's true
Old 10-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Can I come live in your garage?

Said noone ever

it's true
^^^ More info needed
Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I've personally never lived there myself so someone else would have to chime in on that. But it's full of hippies and liberals who all drive their prius' around. Pretty place but kind of has a bad rap.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
1980's Tacoma Gallery
It's funny how a the people of a state can get stereotyped. Living in western Kansas, to get to the touristy ski-run part of Colorado one must first drive for several hundred miles through towns filled with down-to earth ranchers, farmers and oil men.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I've personally never lived there myself so someone else would have to chime in on that. But it's full of hippies and liberals who all drive their prius' around. Pretty place but kind of has a bad rap.
Are you familiar with Austin, Tx? I wonder if Boulder is more liberal than Austin?