1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Colorado mid May trip ??

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by virgilus11, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Hey guys.

I am planing a mid may trip thru Colorado , Wyoming and all the way up to Montana.
    My idea is to drive straight to Denver in 2-3 days. Change the oil on Denver then past Denver -on I 70- take rt 40 north thru Winter Park all the way to rt 34 and Grand Lake.
    My intention is to take the Trail Ridge all the way from Grand Lake to Estes Park then from there will make my way to Laramie thru other small roads and continue my quest north.

My questions are -#1- is the road open at that time ???
    -#2- how is the weather at that time -typically ???
    -#3- I see a lots of secondary roads on the google and the GPS. Are any of this roads passable by that time or I should stick to the tarmac only ?????
    --#4-I am planing on camping most of the time and some cheap motels when is raining. How easy is to find a pet friendly- motel. I have a German pointer and it never leave my side. ????
    I did this road 3 years ago on a motorcycle but it was in August and the weather was perfect. I wanted to go farther north but I run out of time and had to track back east.

I really appreciate any input or help you my have. Thank you.

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    One thing I've learned from this year is that Colorado weather changes about every five minutes.

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    The weather here is super un predictable especially in the mountains. It's gonna be cold at night probably in the teens. Road closers may be an issue too, depends on how much snow is up there and how much more falls. Plan on a couple routes and call ahead a day or two before your trip. www.cotrip.org will have most maintained roads http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm will have major un-maintained roads.
    Post a pic or two of your pooch, Gsp's are my favorite dog, hope to get one next spring.

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Thank you guy's. I will try to be as flexible is possible and I am aware that, up in the mountain, weather can be tricky.
    Any specific place that I should not miss ????? I guess gas prices are pretty close to New Jersey $4/ gal for super ???

Thank you

5. May 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    i been paying $3.79 for 87 (mid)...85 in the higher elevation is equivalent to 87 on the east coast...

6. May 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    USARMYAV11

USARMYAV11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Rucker, AL
    Vehicle:
    11 Sport Mag Grey
    When are you leaving in May? Im in MA right now and plan on driving from there to Monument, CO around 24 May? If your up to it we can convoy the Tacomas across the states

7. May 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    It is not final. I am recuperating from a back surgery and I am waiting for the doctor to give me the OK. There is a possibility that I may have to push it till June.
    Either way I don't think that you want to drive at the same speed with me. I am towing a small R-pod camper and even with the supercharger,, the most economic speed is around 60-65 mph. Anything over that and i risk to get less then 10/ mpg.

8. May 2, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Thank you.

9. May 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    USARMYAV11

USARMYAV11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Rucker, AL
    Vehicle:
    11 Sport Mag Grey
    Ok sounds good. I am kind of in a rush to get back to Colorado before I have to leave to Kentucky. Got to spend as much time in Colorado before the Army steals it away from me.

10. May 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Good luck and have a safe trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top