Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Deals & Coupons

Notices

Stubbie Antennas $19.99 free shipping.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Update:

Got the Stubby on Thursday, regular free postage, but fast shipping. I think it arrive 3 days after I ordered. Been kinda busy since then, so just posting the update now.

It arrived in a nice package:

Was easy to install.

Remove stock ordinary hum drum antenna.

The stubby comes with a torx screw. Just tighten it down into the stubby:

Screw the stubby on and now you have a nice stylish pimpin stubby antenna but crappy FM reception:

So yeah, the FM reception does degrade. I found though that if you adjust the stubby to where it is not in contact with the metal of the stock antenna mounting doughnut (for lack of a better term), the reception does improve. I'm going to mess with it a little bit and see if I can get the reception to improve. Maybe place a thin rubber spacer between the stubby and the stock mounting location.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review. Mine made it from Portland to Fayetteville, NC got to the Sorting Facility then turned around and was sent back to Portland before even being delivered "Winning". Will contact the Co. direct today.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #25
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Update:

Got the Stubby on Thursday, regular free postage, but fast shipping. I think it arrive 3 days after I ordered. Been kinda busy since then, so just posting the update now.

It arrived in a nice package:

Was easy to install.

Remove stock ordinary hum drum antenna.

The stubby comes with a torx screw. Just tighten it down into the stubby:

Screw the stubby on and now you have a nice stylish pimpin stubby antenna but crappy FM reception:

So yeah, the FM reception does degrade. I found though that if you adjust the stubby to where it is not in contact with the metal of the stock antenna mounting doughnut (for lack of a better term), the reception does improve. I'm going to mess with it a little bit and see if I can get the reception to improve. Maybe place a thin rubber spacer between the stubby and the stock mounting location.
Nice observation, I'll be watching to see if you find a fix cause I would sure like to replace my 13" antenna for this stuby.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #26
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I still like it. I never listen to the radio so the loss of reception is no big deal.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #27
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't mind replacing mine w/ this either, but I do flip through stations once in a while. I guess I could get satellite radio and solve both problems. I take it satellite doesnt utilize the oem antenna?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #28
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by astral View Post
doesn't work for me
"The coupon code you entered has been disabled so it can't be used."

It still doesn't work. I ordered one anyway since shipping is only like four bucks.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #29
The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO
CCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 19 EMS AERO REPAIR/CRASH RECOVERY
Name: Shawn
CCFBERG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I take it satellite doesnt utilize the oem antenna?
def NOT! And Sat radio is without a doubt...the shiz!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #30
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my stubby for about 6 months now. And only 2 stations come in clear now. But I bought it for looks. I use my ipod and the 6 disc cd changer most of the time anyways so it doesnt bother me.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #32
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update:

I added a rubber gasket between the antenna and the metal surrounding the antenna port. The reception was improved about 80%! I'd estimate that the reception is about 5% below stock now. Just a slight crackle now compared to almost no reception before. Good enough for when I want to listen to the traffic report real quick.

Before the gasket, the signal was being washed out onto the metal surface of the truck as apposed to being channeled into the center of the antenna cable.

Also, without amplification, length really does matter. This is probably as good as it's going to get with this short stubby. That's what she said.

I didn't have a rubber gasket, so I used the tip from an old hose I had laying around. That's what she said. I'm on a roll!

1) old hose.

2) Cut the end off, about a 1/8 of an inch.

3) Place gasket over bolt.

4) Antenna no longer touches metal ground.

5) Rock Out!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
Time Traveler

CravenSpeed is a not a joke.

I've gotta edit this post. (for all those who read the original post) They actually came through:

New free shipping code just for us: TWFS4
good through 4/24

They also plan on including the gasket in future orders for Tacomas!

Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
rp2000r is on a distinguished road
rp2000r's Tacoma Gallery
Thats nice they honor free shipping now, I placed a order wednesday and said I was a TW member but was still charged $23...

Lameeeeeeee
LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #36
jb3pin is on a distinguished road
jb3pin's Tacoma Gallery
Just received mine a few days ago and been testing FM reception since. I haven't noticed any difference, nor any degradation in reception in comparison to the OEM antenna. FWIW.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #37
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3pin View Post
Just received mine a few days ago and been testing FM reception since. I haven't noticed any difference, nor any degradation in reception in comparison to the OEM antenna. FWIW.
Nice. Did it come with a rubber spacer?

Just wondering, case I'm not sure how quickly they'll be adding it into the package.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #38
DocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1st 145th FA
Name: David
DocCisco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update:

I added a rubber gasket between the antenna and the metal surrounding the antenna port. The reception was improved about 80%! I'd estimate that the reception is about 5% below stock now. Just a slight crackle now compared to almost no reception before. Good enough for when I want to listen to the traffic report real quick.

Before the gasket, the signal was being washed out onto the metal surface of the truck as apposed to being channeled into the center of the antenna cable.

Also, without amplification, length really does matter. This is probably as good as it's going to get with this short stubby. That's what she said.

I didn't have a rubber gasket, so I used the tip from an old hose I had laying around. That's what she said. I'm on a roll!
Bought a rubber washer from ACE and that did the trick. It's not 100% but very close.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #39
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCisco View Post
Bought a rubber washer from ACE and that did the trick. It's not 100% but very close.

Sweet!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #40
jb3pin is on a distinguished road
jb3pin's Tacoma Gallery
No, didn't come with any spacer, but seems to perform well for me without.

Cheers

Quote:
Nice. Did it come with a rubber spacer?

Just wondering, case I'm not sure how quickly they'll be adding it into the package.