LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Deals & Coupons

Notices

Straight Talk Wireless

Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Straight Talk Wireless

I heard about Straight Talk this morning from Clark Howard (guest on KFI 640AM). It's $45/month for unlimited Talk, Text & Data (bring your own phone). They use all the major network carrier's networks (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile). So as long as your phone works on one of those networks, it will work through them and you should see no difference. They don't offer new phones. It's strictly "bring your own."

In some cases, even if you're in a contract, it might be cheaper to pay an early termination fee and switch.

So say you just got a new phone 3 months ago and you're paying $100/month. With Straight Talk, you'd save $55/month. A Galaxy S3's Early Termination Fee on AT&T is about $300. In 6 months, you'd save $330 - $300 etf or $30. In 21 months, you'd save $1155 - $300 etf = $855. All while getting unlimited talk, text and data.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
NateMob is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft Metals Tech
Name: Nathan
NateMob's Tacoma Gallery
At what point do they throttle your "unlimited" data? Does that include LTE coverage?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know when or if they throttle. Lte is available as long as your phone supports it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Redfoxlake is on a distinguished road

Redfoxlake's Tacoma Gallery
They don't throttle, it's unlimited. The type phone depends on your area code, but iPhone 4 and 5 are available in all areas. They also have different android phones. They use the same towers as Verizon. I have had it for years and it works great. My bill went from $100 to $45, with no change in service, quality, or reception; only price difference. I even kept my old phone for a while just to make sure. Go to your local walmart to see phones available for your area or buy online according to your area code.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
PA.TacomaTRD. is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PA.TacomaTRD.'s Tacoma Gallery
The wife and I have switched to straight talk for at least the last 6 months, brought our verizon androids with us and they work just fine... Service, and 3g data is great... Huge difference in price... LOVE THE $45.00 UNLIMITED....
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
NateMob is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft Metals Tech
Name: Nathan
NateMob's Tacoma Gallery
If you think you are getting true "unlimited data" you are mistaken. Looks like customers are being throttled at as little as 1.5 gigs used a month. No hardline for throttling is pretty sketchy to me. If it works for you then awesome, but i consistently pull down 3.5-4.5 gigs of LTE data down a month on Verizon. I dont want to worry about being capped or throttled because they think or suspect me of tethering or non stop live streaming.

There is a huge difference in true unlimited data and unlimited data that is throttled when the company flags your account for pulling down what they think is "excessive" amounts.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414768,00.asp

To any of you currently on ST what kind of data usage are you seeing? Curious if this is a viable option for my wife and I.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Is that $45 per phone, or if you have 2 phones is there a discount for the 2nd phone?

If no discount, then no savings for me since we don't have smartphones. We're running unlimited talk and text, but only 500mb data.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateMob View Post
At what point do they throttle your "unlimited" data? Does that include LTE coverage?

They tell you it's unlimited, but trust me it isn't... I've had Straight Talk for over a year now on iPhone 4s phones. (AT&T with Straight Talk SIM cards).

Last month my wife got a nasty call from Straight Talk saying she had used more than 2gb of data and that if she did it again, they would terminate her service.

We live in a 4G area, but from what I understand, the fastest you will get is 3G, even if it shows 4G on the phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Is that $45 per phone, or if you have 2 phones is there a discount for the 2nd phone?

If no discount, then no savings for me since we don't have smartphones. We're running unlimited talk and text, but only 500mb data.
Per line...
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I heard about Straight Talk this morning from Clark Howard (guest on KFI 640AM). It's $45/month for unlimited Talk, Text & Data (bring your own phone). They use all the major network carrier's networks (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile). So as long as your phone works on one of those networks, it will work through them and you should see no difference. They don't offer new phones. It's strictly "bring your own."

In some cases, even if you're in a contract, it might be cheaper to pay an early termination fee and switch.

So say you just got a new phone 3 months ago and you're paying $100/month. With Straight Talk, you'd save $55/month. A Galaxy S3's Early Termination Fee on AT&T is about $300. In 6 months, you'd save $330 - $300 etf or $30. In 21 months, you'd save $1155 - $300 etf = $855. All while getting unlimited talk, text and data.

MAKE SURE you get a phone that uses Verizon or AT&T towers, many of the phones use T-Mobile towers and the coverage is HORRIBLE!!!