1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craftsman Sale

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by dud122, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jul 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I've got the same set. I agree the case kinda sucks, but if that's all ya got.....I've got one of the red roll around cabinets now.

As for things that didn't come with it that I bought later or already had....
    1/2" Torque Wrench
    1/2" Breaker Bar
    Creeper
    A good set of screwdrivers

2. Jul 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    every tool set i saw in sears came in a plastic case.

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    interwebs!!!!

4. Jul 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    If you have friends that have a torque wrench then I wouldn't bother getting one -unless you are going to be doing some serious mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, I like to buy and use tools, but in all my tinkering time (inc. one kit car build and 2 engine conversions) I have only ever used a torque wrench twice.

5. Jul 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    oh yea didnt think of getting from the internets without a case. but t alieviate all storage problem why not just save a little more and get a tool box too!! gona need it after getting the set from the internets with no crappy case

6. Jul 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I have that same set. The case isn't great for holding the tools everytime you open it. But, I also have a small stand up rollaround cabinet. Got it for under $100. Works great to store everything. The item that I absolutely love is a full set of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Tools+Storage&sName=Tools+Storage+Accessories

They keep all the sockets organized and you can easily see what is missing and where it should go.

Items that I have added or would like to add to that set are:
    ratcheting wrenches, a must have personally
    a breaker bar, works so much easier than a standard lug wrench or taking the lug nuts off.
    a set of tiny wrenches, like an ignition set. Very tiny sizes, comes in handy around the house sometimes. it has sizes down around 1/4 in very small increments. Comes in handy with hobbies and other odd things around the house.

A decent set of jack stands and a floor jack. It makes sense to buy the combo that has two stands a floor jack and get another set of two jack stands, incase you ever take off all the tires or something. Make sure they are fairly tall, since the truck sits pretty high up, mine are about maxed out on their height.

A decent set of locking pliers. Always helpful as a second set of hands.

Electronic, but a must have if you ever get into anything electrical, a digital multimeter. It is a god send if you are ever installing a stereo or trailer lights or fixing a blinker.

That is all I can think of for now, without getting into air tools or electric stuff.

7. Jul 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    I started with a small, Craftsman 58piece set that over the years ive added alot more on to. my uncle died last year and i inheritted a nice pro set of S-K sockets and wrenches from the late 70's early 80's. my collection gets bigger all the time even when you think you have all the tools you need. Just today i picked up a hollow puch set for gaskets for my chainsaws. it never ends!

8. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    dud122

dud122 [OP] rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    just got back from sears...

as a sort of compromise i went with the 154 piece set and will get a better case when having too many additional tools to carry around warrants it.

i also got an 18" breaker bar, a bfh, and a couple socket extenders (all craftsman).... for under $150.

time to get to work i guess

9. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!

i saw those but they felt a bit flimsy to me... made of a thin plastic

i'll definately get something along those lines when i get a case though

10. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    what you got is a great set. when i first got into professional mechanics, my parents bought me one of those like 250 piece tool sets. I still use it to this day, and have added thousands of dollars worth of stuf to it since. It never ends. I have one box at work full of tools, and I have another(my first) toolbox at home full of tools. the one at home isnt as good, but it gets everything I need done. I even have some specialty tools I liked at work so much, i found another set on ebay and have it home..Came in handy when I did the starter on my truck.

just wait, now that your buying hand tools and using them, you will soon realize that manual labor sucks, so you will have to go out and buy an air compressor, and air tools.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    When I graduated from high school ('73) my father bought me a set of Craftsman tools very similar to that set,but back then it came with a metal tool chest. 36 years later, still going strong. Best present I got.

12. Jul 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC

at least the tools are still quality :rolleyes:

13. Sep 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    elevin

elevin Habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    South Fla.
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    15% tint over factory all around, U-Haul hitch, Hopkins wiring harness, 2.25" ReadyLift spacer/ AAL kit, 265/70/17's on Gunmetal/Machined Enkeis, JVC head unit w/ Ipod interface, WalMart seat covers, hoseclamp mod, seatbelt beep mod, bedrail bike mounts, 6 D-rings in bed, Pop N Lock
    My friend just moved to Mexico and gave me his large Craftsman air compressor....I have been building up some air tool schwag...impact wrench/sockets, cutoff wheel, air grinder, the same air inflator/ gauge from gas sations... next tool is going to be an air chisel. I recommend getting a compressor if room allows next bro! Some guys on this forum have integrated them into their Tacos, so they can air up/down their tires, and be able to use air tools when out and about! Now that's slick-

14. Sep 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Not that I handle them often, I still don't find them flimsy. But, it would be nice if they fit a little bit better in the box (two across won't quite fit). But then again, my roll around is only 26" wide.

Products Discussed in

To Top