Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Demello Offroad

Notices

The Demello Offroad Rear Bumper Project

Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
AmericanAdventurist.com
TACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (FMF)
TACODOC1's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb More progress, more spy pics...

Looks like the swingout will be going on next week and then all the finer details will be added and then off for powder coat... stay tuned

Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Tacodoc...

1st...Just today I saw a Tacoma here in El Paso, TX that had a custom rear bumper. I flagged down the truck and the driver told me it was a DeMello. It looked just like this one. So I figure Jason has done something like this before??? It had a swinggate w/ only a spare tire on it. It was very nice...and I am VERY interested in one just like it...unfortunately we were in traffic and I couldn't get his contact info to learn more about it. Tell Jason he may need to make more than one of these!

2nd...I was just on a long trip to California and had two flats...sidewall punctures on a 4WD road (not rocks) and a highway blowout. I usually carry TWO spares...but didn't on this trip. I am wanting to upgrade my BruteForceFab rear bumper to a high clearance version w/ a swing gate for the sole purpose of carrying a 2nd spare tire (one below/one on bumper). But here you seem to be carrying only 1 spare. What is your rationale for only 1 spare/vs. 2 spares? Thanks in advance for the insight on your experiences.

I can image it gets old having to swing out the gate to get into the Flippac each time (tire so high)...I'll be dealing with that too. But I could get a windoor to allieve that irritant.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
AmericanAdventurist.com
TACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
2nd...I was just on a long trip to California and had two flats...sidewall punctures on a 4WD road (not rocks) and a highway blowout. I usually carry TWO spares...but didn't on this trip. I am wanting to upgrade my BruteForceFab rear bumper to a high clearance version w/ a swing gate for the sole purpose of carrying a 2nd spare tire (one below/one on bumper). But here you seem to be carrying only 1 spare. What is your rationale for only 1 spare/vs. 2 spares? Thanks in advance for the insight on your experiences.

I can image it gets old having to swing out the gate to get into the Flippac each time (tire so high)...I'll be dealing with that too. But I could get a windoor to allieve that irritant.
I have never needed 2 spares, but the new swingout will have the option to add the tire carrier. My biggest rationale is that I never travel alone and 2 spares is heavy and not worth the MPG hit. I have an excellent tire repair kit and know how to use it.

The pending design of the swingout is going to be modular i.e. you can add things ala cart like tire carrier, 2 cans/4 cans etc. Basic bumper will be pretty cookie cutter but the swingout is where people's needs differ - stay tuned.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
AmericanAdventurist.com

More progress...

Getting the swingout dialed in. This configuration allows for 2 or 4 cans (your choice) as well as propane, pioneer tools and Hi-Lift. Stout, traditional tow hitch as well as recovery points and Hi-Lift jack friendly. An optional spare tire mount can be attached in the center as well (2 spares anyone?)

Next up will be a receiver on the swingout for attaching a Thule or Yakima bike rack, LED rear back up/camp light and fold down aluminum table.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACODOC1 View Post
Next up will be a receiver on the swingout for attaching a Thule or Yakima bike rack, LED rear back up/camp light and fold down aluminum table.
Receiver on the swingout is brilliant!!!
Thanks for the input on 1 vs. 2 spares.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Bomb on the bumper?

Dave,

For a pure off road environment this bumper design appears excellent. However you have to drive on public roads / freeways to get to your destination... And here is the negative, everything that makes this bumper awesome for offroad makes is extremely hazardous for regular street / road / freeway travel.

On of the the purposes of a bumper is to absorb impact during an accident. The high clearance-recessed design makes the fuel and propane over exposed and the most likely items to be crushed during a rear end collision. I'm not talking about the honda civics either, there are plenty of lifted F150 types out there.

The long and the short is that it looks extremely dangerous to me. I realize I may not be looking at the final product, but perhaps someone has overlooked the obvious?

If it were me I'd put the propane in my flipac (as long as I could vent it and provided there are no passengers back there, failing that I'd put it up real high.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #29
midlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to allmidlife4X4fix is a name known to all

midlife4X4fix's Tacoma Gallery
There is one large flaw in your post.

A Tacoma rear bumper is there to:
*Give you something to bolt your stock hitch to.
*Tell you when you hit the rock wall in the back yard.
*Look chromie.
*Provide an obvious place to put a license plate.

A Tacoma rear bumper is NOT there to:
*Provide ANY impact absorption whatsoever!

Trucks are exempt from all NHTSA rear bumper laws in the US.

I do agree that if you are fully loaded with Full Jerry cans it
does look like an ugly accident waiting to happen but that is
not what this thread is about.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
AmericanAdventurist.com

If you look at the US RV industry, you will note that propane cylinders are always stowed on the nose of a trailer or under the RV, i.e. outside of the living space. Obviously due to safety concerns. Storage on the rear of the truck up high and secured externally to the living space is the best compromise IMO as there was no other option really. As for fuel, I use Scepter cans (USMC spec) and again carrying fuel there is the best compromise. Jeeps and other rigs have been legally, and safely, carrying jerry cans on the back for decades.

Carrying fuel or propane on the truck is optional and can be optimized to suit the trip. I'd rather have the option than not. And if somebody is tailgating me with a couple of gallons of legally transported fuel staring at them, well, that should be their sign to BTFO. Especially considering if it did blow it would be in their face.

YMMV.

Note about propane:

It is important to note that propane, like gasoline vapor, has narrow ignition requirements as far as air fuel mixture is concerned.

In order to actually ignite, the propane-air mix must contain from 2.2 to 9.6 percent propane vapor. If the mixture contains less than 2.2 percent gas, it is too lean to burn. If it contains more than 9.6 percent, it is too rich to burn.

Additionally, propane won’t ignite when combined with air unless the source of ignition reaches at least 940 degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, gasoline will ignite when the source of ignition reaches only 430 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

In fact, it is pretty difficult to actually blow up a propane tank or cylinder. What does occur when the pressure relief valve blows from say being smashed in an accident, which occurs at 312 psi in ASME tanks, and 375psi in DOT cylinders, is that the gas is vented and makes a lot of noise. Should there be a fire or source of ignition when it vents, it won't explode either, instead it makes a torch and quickly flames out. It does not ignite inside the gas line and run up it to the tank or cylinder and "explode." The only exception to that, is if it is punctured and ignited by flame simultaneously (highly unlikely), and then the same external ignition occurs only more rapidly.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I here you. It's be the best compromise given your setup (no trailer & no other place to put it). I personally would not do it. But if I had to, I'd have fabricated a medium strength plated cage to try and protect the tank.

I am still looking forward to seeing the finished bumper design as we have similar needs. I'll stay tuned.

And in case I have not already said so, thanks for sharing your design and showcasing Jason's Shop's work. It does look good so far!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Subed because some day I might have $$$
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
AmericanAdventurist.com

Talking Almost done

Next up will be the rock light tabs, propane regulator hardmount underneath, LED back up light and then it's off to powdercoat at last.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
Steve33fish is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Steve33fish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Next up will be the rock light tabs, propane regulator hardmount underneath, LED back up light and then it's off to powdercoat at last.

Hey your truck looks better in person!!! I was in there last week and was checking it out, guys pictures does no justice! Did you check out Jason new aluminum front bumper? 40lbs!!! Hope they get them rolling soon.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Getting the swingout dialed in. This configuration allows for 2 or 4 cans (your choice) as well as propane, pioneer tools and Hi-Lift. Stout, traditional tow hitch as well as recovery points and Hi-Lift jack friendly. An optional spare tire mount can be attached in the center as well (2 spares anyone?)

Thats a TON of weight on a one sided gate IMO. Did DE put a full tube in the bumper and weld it top/bottom with gussets? Looks like they started out without any reinforcement tube and I see no discolloring from any welding of any corner gussets. I really hope this isn't the case and you just didn't post pics yet.

I have seen a couple one sided gates crack at the spindle and the corner of the bumper. They all had had far less weight on them then yours will have. My gate is one of them and I have a fully welded tube going top-bottom that's over 6" long.

chasing cracks on mine

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #40
AmericanAdventurist.com

What you see are early photos where everything is lightly secured, it will be "double captured" underneath and gusseted for sure.

And for the record, this swingout is extremely light compared to my old CBI swingout - can carriers, table, propane bracket and pioneer tool carrier are all aluminum.

Fully loaded with 10 gallons of fuel or water @ approx 40 lbs per can plus the propane tank full @ approx 10 lbs and the Hi-Lift/axe/shovel will leave this swingout still coming in approx 60 lbs lighter than my previous swingout due to the spare tire (approx 100 lbs) being carried down below in stock position.

So, overall the truck will still weigh about the same but I am able to carry more and will have more of the weight forward to the axle vice hanging off the rear of the truck. Every little bit helps.