Special Note: If you don't like the smell of Simple Green (smells like black licorice), take note that your car will smell like it for a day or 2 after using this technique.
- 2 or 3 large black trash bags. Lawn and leaf bags work good.
- A spray bottle of Simple Green household cleaner
- Razor blade scraper
- A few shop rags or hand towels
- Park your vehicle in a sunny spot (preferably warm, too). Works best in summer, or when the sun is out strong.
- Grab a couple black lawn trash bags and cut the sides out so that they lay flat. The key here is to use thin black plastic so it seals well to the window when wet.
- Liberally spray the Simple Green (full concentration) right on the inside of the window to be worked on, completely wetting the tinted surface.
- Lay a single sheet of the black plastic directly on the Simple Green and spread it around so that it sticks up nicely to the tinted surface of the window. The more Simple Green you can get held against the window, the easier the tint removal will be.
- Use the shop rags or towels at the bottom of the window to prevent the Simple Green from running all over the place, especially to cover up fabric seats or trim with fabric/felt. Plastics, leathers, rubber and vinyls wipe clean and won't stain but there's a potential to get a little discoloration on fabrics I would assume. If you drip any on fabric, you can just wet it good and extract with a dry towel. This stuff is organic but it does have a dark green color and might discolor light fabrics.
- Let this set-up sit in the sun for a full hour. Only one hour is needed, but the longer you leave it to soak in the sun, but better it works. The Simple Green will absorb into the tint and go to work on the adhesive pretty quick.
- Remove the black plastic bag and start scraping at one corner. Lift up the corner and peel. The tint should come off very easily and sometimes in one whole sheet. It makes scraping the adhesive off much easier, too. Actually, if you let the Simple Green soak long enough you can even just wipe off the adhesive.
- Wipe all surfaces clean with a wet rag and you're done. The smell from the Simple Green might linger for a day or two, but if you wiped everything clean it should go away quick.