Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

What wax do you use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
What wax do you use?

I just washed and waxed my truck for the first time yesterday...

All i had on had at the time was the old green turtle wax. You have to wipe on...let dry...wipe off...

Ive heard of new stuff that you just wipe on and your done...

Never got a chance to use it yet though...Just wondering what you guys use on your trucks?

I think the new stuff out now is Turtle Wax ICE. Commercials look pretty cool....
Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a silver taco with the black flares, mirrors and trim and have used the ICE for the first time last week. From an amatuer stand point I like the product, being able to go right over the flares and the trim without worry (also made the black look great) it saved alot of time. In my research, I have read it does not last as long as other paste waxes but with how quickly I waxed the entire vehicle I wont mind applying it more often. My only concern is that I use aerospace 303 on all of my previous vehicles and will continuwe to use it on my dash (if you are not currently using it I suggest you do) I hope the ice keeps my black trim and flares from fading as well as the 303 always did.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
$3.99 Turtle wax. 3-4 times a year.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I use zymol cleaner and wax. $14 for 1 bottle. Used it the first time over the weekend, seems to work pretty well. The friggin paint is like super slippery now. A rag just slides of the bitch.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Klasse Sealant Glaze-origionally formulated for aircraft and boats from Germany.$22.00 a bottle but so worth it I've been using it on my cars for over two decades.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no expert. I used Meguire's to do my wax. It turned out pretty good. I still have some wax left on the trim though.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using Meguire's based on the recommendation of a friend who uses it on his show Vette.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
i have been using Menzerna product for the past few years with spectacular results. i use a porter cable 7424 to apply and microfiber towels to remove. check here for more info on keeping your truck clean.

http://www.properautocare.com/
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I use Meguire's for everything...I even use Meguire's water ..LOL
Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
I use Meguire's for everything...I even use Meguire's water ..LOL
+1
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Steve-B is on a distinguished road
Steve-B's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to know what products to stay away from.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
I use zymol cleaner and wax. $14 for 1 bottle. Used it the first time over the weekend, seems to work pretty well. The friggin paint is like super slippery now. A rag just slides of the bitch.
x2 zymol is the best I've ever used. The twice a year wax IMHO.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
i have wayyyy too many lol

internet only stuff like poorboys, griots, optimum, clearkote and probably still leaving some out

also have a fair share of local store stuff like megs, mothers... i use those for my detail jobs unless the customer specifically wants the better stuff
Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my truck, the dealer told me never to use wax on it. I don't know that much about it but he said wax was a cutting agent and would do permanent damage to the paint. Was that BS ?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
When I bought my truck, the dealer told me never to use wax on it. I don't know that much about it but he said wax was a cutting agent and would do permanent damage to the paint. Was that BS ?
Oh my goodness was he looking OK that day!?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha wow... thats the sales pitch to get you to get the Sealant Package they offer for $400 or however much it is. Wax is definately NOT a cutting agent, it has no cut/abrasiveness to it at all.
In fact, MOST of the sealants I have seen have a mild cut to them... which is to remove some swirl marks.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first guess is that he owns a paint shop, and wants you to take your truck to a new paint job asap!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think he may have been talking about polishing your truck. Polish is a cut agent.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, an older lady my wife works with had the same issue when she bought a brand new camry 2 yrs ago or so, the salesman told her specifically not to let anyone wax it, only to use the dealer supplied sealant cause other waxes/products could damage the paint.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Steve-B is on a distinguished road
Steve-B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
. . . the dealer told me never to use wax on it . . .
I was told that the new style paint on my new truck would never need waxing. Several years later when I told this to the owner of the body shop I've been using, he looked at me like I was absolutely stupid.

Products Discussed in this Thread