black emblems???

View Poll Results: what to do?
leave it stock 9 12.16%
debadge completely 14 18.92%
paint them all black, excluding fake chrome grille 21 28.38%
paint them all black, along with the fake chrome grille 30 40.54%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
black emblems???

i have a white 06 trd off road 4x4 tacoma. i want a "black and white" look and am thinking about taking my emblems and either removing or painting them black. the "tacoma" emblems, the front grille toyota emblem, possibly the fake chrome grille, and all of the ones on the tailgate. please give me your input please and any advice on do's and don'ts, or things to watch out for. thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

Oh and I vote for "It's your truck, do what YOU want"
Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
i have a white 06 trd off road 4x4 tacoma. i want a "black and white" look and am thinking about taking my emblems and either removing or painting them black. the "tacoma" emblems, the front grille toyota emblem, possibly the fake chrome grille, and all of the ones on the tailgate. please give me your input please and any advice on do's and don'ts, or things to watch out for. thanks

i like where your going, but i would color match the grill. i re used my stock chrome and it came out perfect. prep is key!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a big fan of the black emblems on white. i was thinking about doing the same for my truck, but black emblems on a black truck just don't stand out as much as i would like.

i went with sockmonkey decals all around...

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a black and white themed Tacoma and if it wasnt for that, I would have probably debadged it completely. I really liked the "clean" look of it when I debadged mine to paint them black and it looked really good!! Oh and instead of painting your front grill surround black, paint it white to match your truck. Just my $.02.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

Oh and I vote for "It's your truck, do what YOU want"
x476547479469436254214
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17Guy View Post
i like where your going, but i would color match the grill. i re used my stock chrome and it came out perfect. prep is key!
thanks, and did you paint it yourself or have it professionally painted?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I also have a black and white themed Tacoma and if it wasnt for that, I would have probably debadged it completely. I really liked the "clean" look of it when I debadged mine to paint them black and it looked really good!! Oh and instead of painting your front grill surround black, paint it white to match your truck. Just my $.02.
yeah, i'm leaning towards the color matched grille myself. painting the surround black makes it look more like a work truck.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
I did the black grill look for a long time, then I switched to white and I really like it better. I've got lots of pics in my build. My truck is white, black, with a flair of red themed.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
I did the black grill look for a long time, then I switched to white and I really like it better. I've got lots of pics in my build. My truck is white, black, with a flair of red themed.
yeah, i just looked at yours actually. thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, i just looked at yours actually. thanks
No worries. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
rectoyo is on a distinguished road

Name: Robert
rectoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I have a white Tacoma also. Question how would u take the badges off without any damage?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectoyo View Post
I have a white Tacoma also. Question how would u take the badges off without any damage?
i actually just got mine done and it looks great! i used this thread right here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...tallation.html i did pretty much exactly the same thing this guy did except i sanded my emblems just a little bit after i took them off, to add texture for the paint to hold on to. i also didn't completely remove the residue. i left just a little bit that i could barely see so i could match my letters up as closely as possible. however, it probably wasn't neccesacry since i used the tape, but oh well. it's a great thread though, you should refer to it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i actually just got mine done and it looks great! i used this thread right here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...tallation.html i did pretty much exactly the same thing this guy did except i sanded my emblems just a little bit after i took them off, to add texture for the paint to hold on to. i also didn't completely remove the residue. i left just a little bit that i could barely see so i could match my letters up as closely as possible. however, it probably wasn't neccesacry since i used the tape, but oh well. it's a great thread though, you should refer to it.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
lol, i knew after i posted that i would get this. i just got off work at 12 am and it's about 12:30 now, so no pics until tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
lol, i knew after i posted that i would get this. i just got off work at 12 am and it's about 12:30 now, so no pics until tomorrow.
Boooo!!! Haha, jk jk.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
WestwardBound is on a distinguished road
Name: Rene
WestwardBound's Tacoma Gallery
3M Double Sided Tape

I am looking to do this soon (possibly tomorrow) and just wanted to double check that the 3M tape holds the emblems onto the truck. Do you have to reheat the tags after putting them back on to increase the adhesion, or does the tape to the job?

Also, quickly wondering anyones thoughts with two color schemes: black on black, or black on gun metal gray? I have a 2010 Taco Access that is BSP and I am torn between completly blacking it out and matching the grill (gun metal gray) with the rims and emblems...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestwardBound View Post
I am looking to do this soon (possibly tomorrow) and just wanted to double check that the 3M tape holds the emblems onto the truck. Do you have to reheat the tags after putting them back on to increase the adhesion, or does the tape to the job?

Also, quickly wondering anyones thoughts with two color schemes: black on black, or black on gun metal gray? I have a 2010 Taco Access that is BSP and I am torn between completly blacking it out and matching the grill (gun metal gray) with the rims and emblems...
The 3M tape will hold them just fine. No you do not have to reheat the badges after you re-install them.

Hmmmm....if you have a black truck, ever think about just debadging it? I think I would and give it that clean look to it. But if not, I would say black on black.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
ok, here you go. i used a gloss black on the badges to match the windows and a flat black on the toyota emblem to match the grille. both were plastic bonding krylon. they look better than i had thought.
Attached Thumbnails
black emblems???-100_0540.jpg   black emblems???-100_0541.jpg   black emblems???-100_0542.jpg   black emblems???-100_0543.jpg