1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overspray on Plastic

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by hillbillytoyo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    I posted this same thing under 2nd gen, but didn't get much feedback. My truck got some overspray on it at work a few weeks ago. The paint company sent some people to get the paint off. The paint came off great everwhere except my black plastic fender flares and my black plastic bed cover. The lady doing the removal said she didn't have antthing to put on it. They used a claybar on the rest of the truck. Does anyone know how I can remove the paint from the plastic? here is a pic of my truck before the paint.[​IMG]

2. Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    If it absolutely won't come off without damaging it, you could tape off your paint around it and paint it with a satin black paint.

They have some made for plastic (Fusion). I posted on here about doing the same thing with my bed, because I bought my truck used and there were tons of white spots (I think from salt water) that would not come out at all. I cleaned the bed really well, and then spray painted it with Rustoleum all surface paint (said on the can good for plastic) and it looks like new again.

Good luck!

3. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I have used mineral spirits, on a rag, to remove it on other vehicles. Use gloves, it strips the oil off your skin.
    Test in a hidden place first. I haven't had to do it on a tacoma yet.

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Regretless Rob

Regretless Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chino CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Painted my stock rims black and polished my lugs, New jvc head unit with 2 12" subs with shut of switch, Side mirrors tinted, FULLBLOWN FM-74267 muffler, In dash wiring for my Garmin 750 GPS & 3Gs Iphone dock with aux plug and charger in dash, Three more cigarette lighter plus under my head unit also in dash, strobe head lights for the hell of ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qumylyXOig,
    iv tried everything to take it off for the past 3 years and i even took it to a body shop thay had no luck.... best bet is just re paint it im not sure what i used but but i did paint a few of the black plastics on my truck and they turned out grate.

Products Discussed in

To Top