Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tired of seeing 00 steel wool listed as a safe way to clean glass by our members.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Wax fills the chips, crevices, and voids in the glass then hazes over time.

I would never wax glass. In all my years working with glass I have never seen any product that even resembles a wax being used industrially. See here for some more info http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ml#post5602651
I am sure you are correct.. But I have never noticed any issues with it..
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are there less stupid people in your time? thinking in the future maybe there would be no need for a thread like this
No, in fact, it's worse.

People have started buying 55,000 dollar trucks named after dinosaurs and the ocean is now polluted with hair grease from a storm hitting the Jersey Shore.

And they're still making Twilight movies!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxed View Post
I am sure you are correct.. But I have never noticed any issues with it..
it's simple....you have chip in glass....wax fills chip.....wax is not clear thus it hazes....

I see you have a 09 so I'm not sure how you couldn't of noticed it filling in your chips.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it's simple....you have chip in glass....wax fills chip.....wax is not clear thus it hazes....

I see you have a 09 so I'm not sure how you couldn't of noticed it filling in your chips.
Maybe I didnt look hard enough.. Now that you brought it to my attention I am sure it will look opaque.. Thank you very much!!
I was thinking I had very shinny glass.... lol
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Is the use of clay on windows a good or bad idea?
Clay is fine.
Not sure that it'll do any good, but it's not going to hurt the glass.

On paint, you get rail dust and pollutants that embed themselves in the relatively soft surface of the paint. Clay grabs these particles and lifts them out of the paint before they begin to oxidize and discolor the paint (this is the source of the "rusty spots" commonly seen on white vehicles).

These particles don't embed themselves into the surface of your glass.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Even what you might think as a soft kitchen pad can be a very bad idea. I used what i thought was a soft pad (a mild scubbing side of a sponge) on the hard water spots of a tinted window of my shell... damaged the hell out of it. Ended up paying a professional glass repair company $100 to fix it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Clay is fine.
Not sure that it'll do any good, but it's not going to hurt the glass.

On paint, you get rail dust and pollutants that embed themselves in the relatively soft surface of the paint. Clay grabs these particles and lifts them out of the paint before they begin to oxidize and discolor the paint (this is the source of the "rusty spots" commonly seen on white vehicles).

These particles don't embed themselves into the surface of your glass.
Clay removes many bonded contaminants, which will/may be on glass no doubt. It's not just about embedded contaminants. Imo, someone should be using ironx before trying to remove rail dust via claybar. Clay bar with bits of rail dust will mar the crap out of paint.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Bump...more people saying to use steel wool on glass today

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Is the use of clay on windows a good or bad idea?
Bad idea. The clay will imbed in the surface of the glass and haze over time causing clarity issues.

This link will get you everything you need to keep your glass in the best possible shape. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ml#post5602651
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
fejus is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
ok I am not Trolling SERIOUSLY...

I am confused.... this thread speaks about OO Steel Wool .. Not OOOO Steel wool. The PDF referenced is no longer attached so I cannot read if it talked about OOOO. I have used OOOO Steel Wool to polish windshields of my cars forever and had no staining on the windshields ever.. Again YEARS(8+) of doing this on my car and my parents cars...

I read through the thread and found no scientific proof that OOOO Steel wool is bad for glass. OO though that a freeking no brainer... I have Googled and found nothing that says that OOOO Steel Wool can scratch glass, or create these valleys you guys are talking about.

Please show me this information as I am genuinely interested. Anyone have the PDF saved?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejus View Post
ok I am not Trolling SERIOUSLY...

I am confused.... this thread speaks about OO Steel Wool .. Not OOOO Steel wool. The PDF referenced is no longer attached so I cannot read if it talked about OOOO. I have used OOOO Steel Wool to polish windshields of my cars forever and had no staining on the windshields ever.. Again YEARS(8+) of doing this on my car and my parents cars...

I read through the thread and found no scientific proof that OOOO Steel wool is bad for glass. OO though that a freeking no brainer... I have Googled and found nothing that says that OOOO Steel Wool can scratch glass, or create these valleys you guys are talking about.

Please show me this information as I am genuinely interested. Anyone have the PDF saved?
TCbob (founder of site) is member "misc". He took one of my old threads and put it under a new members name so I have no ability to revive the PDF. For any non-believers that STEEL (you know metal) won't scratch glass see here http://www.glasswebsite.com/techcenter/
http://www.winecellarinnovations.com/glasscleaning.pdf

Any steel regardless of 00, 000, 0000, 00000, 000000, 000000, 0000000, 00000000000, 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 shouldn't be rubbed on glass.

Would you rub your paint with it? If not don't rub it on glass. And just because you do rub paint with it doesn't mean you should rub glass with it.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
fejus is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome.. Thank you for those links
Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #35
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
needs another bump I see...