Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tired of seeing 00 steel wool listed as a safe way to clean glass by our members.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Tired of seeing 00 steel wool listed as a safe way to clean glass by our members.

Sorry for the rant, but many people are telling others to do this and it isn't even close to correct.

I don't care if you used it and you think it looks good. You actually just put millions of microscopic scratches in your glass and it will stain easier now that you added surface area, peaks, and valleys for stains to grab on to.

I have attached exactly what I have to send out to my customers when I am finished a glass job so they can clean it without me being liable if they damage it. Do you see 00 steel wool on it - nope. Do you see the part that says no metal objects should come into contact with it - yes.

This is from Oldcastle Glass the largest manufacturer of glass in North America and it was co-wrote with GANA "Glass Association of North America". I think they might know what they are doing.
Attached Files Glass & Metal care info.pdf (1.37 MB, 0 views)

Hopefully I can save a windshield or two from years of abuse.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
You know, I don't understand why the heck anyone would want to use steel wool on their windows. I see lots of posts saying its safe, but it seems pretty crazy to me. I would be too scared to do it on mine. I use Spot-Ex for real bad water spots with no worries about scratching.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
wait, so i should stop using the grinder on my windows ?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailerc View Post
wait, so i should stop using the grinder on my windows ?
x2 my die grinder gets those hard to reach places
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
lol, wut

Just found a thread where someone recommended steel wool to get out water spots so I figured it was time for a bump.

"Misc" is what Bob put all my old "Oswego" threads under with some other members threads who got the hemmer/left.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Just found a thread where someone recommended steel wool to get out water spots so I figured it was time for a bump.

"Misc" is what Bob put all my old "Oswego" threads under with some other members threads who got the hemmer/left.
So this good advice is YOUR fault

I don't know if I can accept it anymore
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
So this good advice is YOUR fault

I don't know if I can accept it anymore
Wut?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wut?
I dont listen to anyone but Oswego, that guy was the shit.

R.I.P.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery

someones hitting the again I see
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
bump.... stupid people still telling others to scratch their glass with steel
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
As I am waxing my truck I just wax the glass as well. It does a great job at removing the water marks.. plus it helps to repel water.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bump.... stupid people still telling others to scratch their glass with steel
And their chrome.

That's even worse than using it on glass.
Chromium is only a couple of microns thick. It simply adds lustre to the nickel, copper, or gold plating beneath it.

Once scratched, it's only a matter of time before it peels.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxed View Post
As I am waxing my truck I just wax the glass as well. It does a great job at removing the water marks.. plus it helps to repel water.

Wax fills the chips, crevices, and voids in the glass then hazes over time.

I would never wax glass. In all my years working with glass I have never seen any product that even resembles a wax being used industrially. See here for some more info http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ml#post5602651
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
And their chrome.

That's even worse than using it on glass.
Chromium is only a couple of microns thick. It simply adds lustre to the nickel, copper, or gold plating beneath it.

Once scratched, it's only a matter of time before it peels.

lol...hell yea, dump some Pepsi on it and rub away

some DB in another forum actually had the balls to throw up the Rockwell hardness chart saying steel was softer then glass so no way could it scratch it. silly people
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Sorry for the rant, but many people are telling others to do this and it isn't even close to correct.

I don't care if you used it and you think it looks good. You actually just put millions of microscopic scratches in your glass and it will stain easier now that you added surface area, peaks, and valleys for stains to grab on to.

I have attached exactly what I have to send out to my customers when I am finished a glass job so they can clean it without me being liable if they damage it. Do you see 00 steel wool on it - nope. Do you see the part that says no metal objects should come into contact with it - yes.

This is from Oldcastle Glass the largest manufacturer of glass in North America and it was co-wrote with GANA "Glass Association of North America". I think they might know what they are doing.
Attached Files Glass & Metal care info.pdf (1.37 MB, 0 views)

Hopefully I can save a windshield or two from years of abuse.
I'm from the future.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
I'm from the future.

are there less stupid people in your time? thinking in the future maybe there would be no need for a thread like this