Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

emblem removal

Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
emblem removal

I am looking at removing my emblems and was wondering the best was to do it, i have heard of people using fishing line and running it behind the emblem to take it off without chipping paint or breaking the emblem
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by branct06 View Post
I am looking at removing my emblems and was wondering the best was to do it, i have heard of people using fishing line and running it behind the emblem to take it off without chipping paint or breaking the emblem
hairdryer and pliers. heat it up then just slowly pull it off with the pliers and follow with the hair dryer to loosen the sticky icky. thats how i took all mine off.whatever you do dont try to wedge it off my sticking somethin in between the emblem and your truck.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
hairdryer and pliers. heat it up then just slowly pull it off with the pliers and follow with the hair dryer to loosen the sticky icky. thats how i took all mine off.whatever you do dont try to wedge it off my sticking somethin in between the emblem and your truck.
Is a heat gun too harsh to use?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermike View Post
Is a heat gun too harsh to use?
thats actually what i used. but be super friggin careful you dont want to bubble the paint. hold it off a little farther than if you used a blowdryer.

remember your not melting it off just heating it up a little to allow the adhesive to give go you can pull the emblems off....

hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Western Alliance

Quote:
thats actually what i used. but be super friggin careful you dont want to bubble the paint. hold it off a little farther than if you used a blowdryer.

remember your not melting it off just heating it up a little to allow the adhesive to give go you can pull the emblems off....

hope this helps.
Thanks man! The dealership put one of those emblems on my truck to represent the company. I had forgotten to ask if they would not put it on with all the excitement of the purchase!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Eat My Dirt

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man! The dealership put one of those emblems on my truck to represent the company. I had forgotten to ask if they would not put it on with all the excitement of the purchase!
yeah. thats how we get you...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
They told me that they have to put them on-Same with the friggin license plate frame.

I used dental floss and lots of patience. After I got the emblem off- I used a carnuba cleaner wax to buff the rest of the residue off.
It came out good- be careful with bending the emblems- They break apart easily and the sharp corners can nick the paint.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
First, heat the badge with a hair dryer set on high for a few minutes. Then run a piece of fishing line (I used 25lb test) between the badge and the glue using a sawing motion. Wear leather work gloves to avoid slicing up your fingers. Donít pull the badge off from one end; pull it straight off to avoid pressing the edge of the badge against the paint. Next, pull the thick glue off the paint by hand with the aid of your fingernails. Next, use Goo Gone to remove the small amount of remaining glue. Finally, wash and wax the section where the badge used to be. I did this project last weekend and was surprised how easy it was.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Western Alliance

Quote:
yeah. thats how we get you...

At least it was that and not a hidden charge!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont want to use a heat gun or a hair dryer i used goo gone and fishing line i sparyed the goo gone on the fishing line and went at it took me 10 minutes for all emblems to come off pretty easy

Be careful using the goo gone on your paint can cause it to fog up and damage the the paint, dont rub into it. better off with the car wax
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Eat My Dirt

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
At least it was that and not a hidden charge!
dont worry we have plenty of those as well.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
ok emblems came off easy and it looks great, i had the help of the georgia heat to help me take the emblems off hahaha
Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
I sat mine in the sun for a couple of hours then used fishing line. Came off mostly complete. For that little shadow, (my Tacoma is silver) I use 1 Grand swirl/scratch remover, followed by a waxing. Can't even notice anything was their.
longbow
,Glad it's this easy.I'll be doing mine soon.Thanks Welcome to TW Longbow.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Western Alliance

Quote:
dont worry we have plenty of those as well.

OOOH I cant wait! haha.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
Protected by GSD security systems
Nimbus 2008 is on a distinguished road

Nimbus 2008's Tacoma Gallery
The glue that holds the 2008 badges on is different then the glue on older models I learned the hard way this past week. Colour, texture & it's ability to stand up to heat & glue removers...

On my past toyota's I used a hair dryer to warm the badges glue up - badges came off perfectly with heat alone every time. The small amount left on was very easy to pick off with my fingers then I just waxed to a shine. No problems.

After researching this thread I made the attempt to remove the badges of my new truck... Instead of the method I've always used (mentioned above) I went with the Goo Gone & fishing line. That was a big mistake. Goo Gone has slight effect on the 2008 glue. I ended up using a heat lamp & spending the next four hours gently rubbing the damn residue with a cloth soaked in Goo Gone as even heat wouldn't remove the glue like my old rides badges - the Goo Gone took forever to remove the glue I ended up scratching my clear coat very badly.

Thankfully (if anyone makes the same mistake & comes searching for answers) I fixed my scratches/damage with Quixx scratch remover. You never knew I was there. Thank god.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus 2008 View Post
The glue that holds the 2008 badges on is different then the glue on older models I learned the hard way this past week. Colour, texture & it's ability to stand up to heat & glue removers...

On my past toyota's I used a hair dryer to warm the badges glue up - badges came off perfectly with heat alone every time. The small amount left on was very easy to pick off with my fingers then I just waxed to a shine. No problems.

After researching this thread I made the attempt to remove the badges of my new truck... Instead of the method I've always used (mentioned above) I went with the Goo Gone & fishing line. That was a big mistake. Goo Gone has slight effect on the 2008 glue. I ended up using a heat lamp & spending the next four hours gently rubbing the damn residue with a cloth soaked in Goo Gone as even heat wouldn't remove the glue like my old rides badges - the Goo Gone took forever to remove the glue I ended up scratching my clear coat very badly.

Thankfully (if anyone makes the same mistake & comes searching for answers) I fixed my scratches/damage with Quixx scratch remover. You never knew I was there. Thank god.
This just happened to me today. I removed the badges, scraped off the tape/glue, hit it with goo gone for about an hour. washed it, claybar, and then wax...
AND YOU CAN STILL SEE IT I think i'm gunna try some polishing compound tomorrow....

I'm glad i'm not the only one because the whole time I was thinking, "Everyone else's was soooo easy!!!"
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
First, heat the badge with a hair dryer set on high for a few minutes. Then run a piece of fishing line (I used 25lb test) between the badge and the glue using a sawing motion. Wear leather work gloves to avoid slicing up your fingers. Donít pull the badge off from one end; pull it straight off to avoid pressing the edge of the badge against the paint. Next, pull the thick glue off the paint by hand with the aid of your fingernails. Next, use Goo Gone to remove the small amount of remaining glue. Finally, wash and wax the section where the badge used to be. I did this project last weekend and was surprised how easy it was.

Doing it this weekend! I SOO HOPE it go as easy as it sounds!!

Will someone please tell my wife that I WILL NOT ruin the paint removing the badges?? (she will read responses) TY!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you heat it up a bit and do it slowly, it shouldnt mess up the paint.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
As long as you heat it up a bit and do it slowly, it shouldnt mess up the paint.
thx +1