1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Underhood cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by eordonez, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Jul 5, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    eordonez

eordonez [OP] Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Whats with the attitude man?? :rolleyes:

2. Jul 5, 2008 at 7:03 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey bro...........cleaning the engine compartment is as important as cleaning everything else............good to hear you are cleaning it!!:) usually, i'll use some simple green on most stuff under the hood.........watered down a bit, and not on the alternator. then, i'll let it dry and i got some stuff i got called cd2 engine detailer that i spray all over everything under there and let it dry. then you go back a little while later and spray a bit more if you need to. it really shines up the underhood area nicely......especially all the plastics and hoses. and dust doesnt stick to anything under there real bad either.

3. Jul 7, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    I used to be obsesed with keeping my engine compartment clean. However, after the second time I had to have the truck towed to the dealer because I got water in the wrong place, I was cured. On my new truck I was thinking I’d just blow the dust out with my air hose. I haven’t tried this yet since the truck still has less than 1000 miles on it.

4. Jul 7, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not that it matters, but I wash my Tacoma every week. After I dry my Tacoma, I open the hood an wipe it down. I wipe everything from the bottom of the hood, the different accessories, hoses and painted surfaces. If its done once a week, it doesn't seem to get that dirty!

5. Jul 7, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    No, it matters ALOT because your method actually is SAFE and keeps you way ahead of the buildup! I do the same:)

6. Jul 7, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I've never tried the air hose. I wouldnt, as I would be afraid to blow crap into something sensitive. I used to clean my interior with my air hose, until I blew the bottons on my head unit, INTO the unit. :eek: I dont think high psi washers should be used on anything except on boat hulls and concrete. :)

7. Jul 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM

7753 New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    Black
    a few small dents here and there
    This product works great... I've never had any problem using gentle spray of water to rinse, taking care to avoid sensitive area of course.

8. Jul 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I've always used Gunk's Engine Brite foaming cleaner on my motors. I do it once a year in the spring. On a cool engine just spray it all over and let it sit for 15 minutes. Hose it off, then start the engine and let it run for 15 minutes for complete engine drying. Label says to try to avoid electrical components such as a distributor. I've never had any problems from using this on any of my trucks, but if you possibly need plug wires or are having any electrical problems with your vehicle I would suggest fixing the problem before getting your engine wet.

9. Aug 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Another good way to get alot of the water off your engine is use a leaf blower on it. It will get all the nooks and cranny's in there you can't see....works real nice.....:thumbsup:

10. Oct 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    rkdiddy

rkdiddy Senior Member

Member:
    OC Baby!
    Vehicle:
    '08 Taco DC PR
    Here is what I usually do...

1. With a warm to touch engine - spray it down with some water. (note: cover your air intake and anything that you think might be affected by the water).

2. Next spray it down with P21S Autowash.

3. With a brush agitate the dirt and grime. - I used my boars hair brush.

4. Spray it down again to remove soap and dirt.

5. Wipe dry. **I just used a cheap terry cloth towel, hence the fibers you can see in the picture. I didn't have the heart to dry my engine bay with one of my $$$ Adam's MF waffle towel. [:D]

6. Adam's VRT w/ detail sponge and In and Out Spray

Here is my engine bay (before and after):
    BEFORE #1:
    [​IMG]
    BEFORE #2:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER #1:

[​IMG]
    AFTER #2:
    [​IMG]

11. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    Dave Russell

Dave Russell Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Here's a great product- SIMPLE GREEN. it comes in a pump-spray- spray it on a cool engine and spray off with a hose for general dirt/dust as in the picture. If you have grease/oil on things use a paint brush to work it a bit and spray off with the hose. As was mentioned before- don't use a pressure washer- too many high buck electrics under that hood. They also make a car wash product in a jug that works good AND its bio degradable
    as are all simple green products so the eco dweebs won't complain. (sorry eco dweebs)
    My son got a 92 4-runner and we did the entire underside-let it sit for 1 hr. then power washed it. Had to redo a couple of places where there was heavy grease with a scraper and a wire brush but WOW did that thing come clean or what!

12. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    I power wash mine the soak it in armour all

13. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM
    JCMINIS

JCMINIS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Old fort NC
    Vehicle:
    07 sport,white 4x4,SR5
    Custom fr bumper,2.5 HBS front lift,rear TSB,K&N
    S100,the ENTIRE engine bay(motor cold) let it set for 10 minutes wash with garden hose.Then take the misses out for ice cream to dry it out.Did that for a year and now sometimes she will do it so I will take her for ice cream..HA!!!!

14. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I did this today. I went in for an alignment yesterday and my buddy said I had an oil leak, I thought it was from the cam seal but it turns out that my valve cover bolts were actually loose, and the oil was seeping out. Bad thing though, on a 3.4 you can only reach the outside bolts to tighten them, so now I have to take apart the 2 piece intake runner to get to the other half, will do this once I get a new set of valve cover gaskets to fix it right, btw, I used a weak solution of purple stuff and an old paint brush garden hose set to a low psi and it looks pretty good for a 9 year old truck,

15. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    [​IMG]After cleaning driver side valve cover that was leaking, I need to change my brake fluid though.

16. Dec 6, 2008 at 8:39 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I just wipe everything down with a couple of wet towels. I try not to use too much water under there.

17. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    BCooley

BCooley Member

Member:
    Laguna Beach
    Vehicle:
    06Prerunner
    None
    wow! nice.

18. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    DocCisco

DocCisco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Utah County, UT
    Vehicle:
    LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Subbed, gonna clean mine up next week and this thread had lots of good ideas.

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why take the risk!!!....use only low pressure water,and,of course ,don't soak the freakin thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top