Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Rubberized undercoating or Rust Stopping Primer?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Rubberized undercoating or Rust Stopping Primer?

I was wondering which would be better for the undercarriage. Rubberized undercoating or black Rust stopping primer?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I think the black paint would penatrate the smaller cracks. Use both!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
glad you brought this up tfl!!! mine has been offroaded pretty heavily, and the undercarriage is a bit rusty. gonna pressure wash the frame real good and paint it and under coat all that i can see.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think the black paint would penatrate the smaller cracks. Use both!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
glad you brought this up tfl!!! mine has been offroaded pretty heavily, and the undercarriage is a bit rusty. gonna pressure wash the frame real good and paint it and under coat all that i can see.
That's what I was thinking. The primer would be a good surface for the undercoating to adhere to.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Just be sure its dry before you paint it! Dont want to trap miosture in the frame.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people in the classic restoration circles are adamantly against rubberized undercoatings because of their tendency to trap moisture there by promoting rust. A product I have come across recently that seems to get a high amount of praise is POR 15. Some guys think it is so awesome that they will forgo powder coating for a generous amount of this stuff painted on the frame. I personally don't believe it is better than powder coating, but for a body undercoat it is probably one of the better products out there.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
... It might be a good idea to put some kind of sound deadening undercoat on top of the POR 15 while you are at it. Not necessary but while your down there...