Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Southern Bugs

View Poll Results: How much does bug removal bother you when detailing?
Doesn't bother me at all 1 3.70%
It's just part of it 7 25.93%
A little 4 14.81%
It Freakin' sucks and I want to drive a space ship. 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
BAMATAC10 is on a distinguished road
BAMATAC10's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Southern Bugs

So as you might imagine in the "South" we get lots of big bugs in the summertime. I'm looking for some good products that will protect my front grill, hood and windshield, and headlights. I looked at a clear plastic film to cover the headlights. I don't think hard plastic "bug" or "rock" guards will do it. Plus I think they destroy the look of the truck.

Possibly a grill bra that I could put on during the summertime and take off the rest of the year?

Any ideas would be helpful. I've never had so much trouble with bugs on the windshield and front chrome about the grill.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man I feel your pain with those freaking bugs. Those stupid beetles are the worse there like rocks no joke. I am going to have to repaint my grill soon because they are starting to chip off the paint. BTW I live like 45min away from Bham just below Sylacauga.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
For bugs, Ive used this at my small detailing operation http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

Ive used it on everything from Ferrari 360 Modena's and Porsche 911's to my Tacoma. Its the best. Never scratches or anything.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Bugs will tear apart your front end down here. Almost like hitting small birds lol.

Anytime I'm able to clean up my truck I will get some Meguiars Step 1 liquid paint cleaner in a maroon bottle. It removes them with a little elbow grease. Other than that, not sure what to tell ya.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE BUGS!!!! damn those things suck
Old 09-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
bugs

When I first purchased my truck I took it in and had 3m clear bra installed on it. No big issue with bugs. They wash right off with soap and hot water.

I would highly reccomend the 3m Ventureshield. Its not cheap, but neither is repainting the front of your truck. The material is very very strong and lasts years.

Taco4x4nc
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
kajunchef86 is on a distinguished road

Name: Don
kajunchef86's Tacoma Gallery
I use dryer sheets works like a charm.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah love bugs are a bitch to clean off.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i think i kill about 50,000 bugs a mile every night.my truck looks like a bug memorial on the front end.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
yeah i hate this too! my paint has started chipping and i cant keep it clean! sucks!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
i was washing my truck this afternoon and working my ass off trying to get these bugs off of my front bumper. some of them have chipped the paint on the bumper and the rest are pretty much permanently splattered there. i would scrub some of them for 5 minutes straight to see that not even half of the single bug was gone. then i realized that it was getting dark and i was about to have to go home from my girlfriend's house. i said fuck it, rinsed the bumper off and gave up, lol. sadly, i do most of my driving at night or early in the morning because of the schedule i have. so every time i drive, i am hammered by a brigade of bugs every time i drive. i really think that some of the bug's purpose in life is to ruin my bumper.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
i was washing my truck this afternoon and working my ass off trying to get these bugs off of my front bumper. some of them have chipped the paint on the bumper and the rest are pretty much permanently splattered there. i would scrub some of them for 5 minutes straight to see that not even half of the single bug was gone. then i realized that it was getting dark and i was about to have to go home from my girlfriend's house. i said fuck it, rinsed the bumper off and gave up, lol. sadly, i do most of my driving at night or early in the morning because of the schedule i have. so every time i drive, i am hammered by a brigade of bugs every time i drive. i really think that some of the bug's purpose in life is to ruin my bumper.
that's one thing i do not like about the tacoma. i wish the 2nd gen's had metal bumpers. even though it would still be a bitch to get the bugs off, they would eventually come off with some effort, instead of becoming implanted in our paint.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
BAMATAC10 is on a distinguished road
BAMATAC10's Tacoma Gallery
3m Ventureshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4x4NC View Post
When I first purchased my truck I took it in and had 3m clear bra installed on it. No big issue with bugs. They wash right off with soap and hot water.

I would highly reccomend the 3m Ventureshield. Its not cheap, but neither is repainting the front of your truck. The material is very very strong and lasts years.

Taco4x4nc
So how much do these 3m Ventureshield cost to purchase and have installed by a professional?

Products Discussed in this Thread