Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Bugs!!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
JTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of light

JTO's Tacoma Gallery
Bugs!!

Does anyone know a=of a good product for getting bug guts off of paint. We recently bought a new used vehicle and the front of it is pretty well covered in bug guts. I have no idea how long they have been stuck to the paint but it seems to be a while because that stuff is not coming off with soap and water.

Any ideas or product suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
CPA_Taco is on a distinguished road

CPA_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I actually used Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar remover a couple of weeks ago and it worked really well.

Here is a picture of my truck while I was cleaning it (I was plannng on writing up a review but forgot about it until I saw your post). I don't know if you can see it but the Bug & Tar remover is applied to the top bumper. You can kind of see it dripping off the bottom part, but as you can see it was covered in bugs.

Here is what it looks like after you let it set for 30 seconds and wipe it off with minimal effort.

I was pretty impressed and will defiantly buy another can. I did use a whole can on the whole front of my truck, including the windshield, grill, and hood. I was pretty liberal with it though, but my truck was also covered.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
JTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of lightJTO is a glorious beacon of light

JTO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. That is what the front of our new truck looks like. Im gonna have to pick some up this weekend for sure. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I have always used a little elbow grease. It seems to work well. less chance of harsh cleaners damaging your paint.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #5

JTO's Tacoma Gallery
a little elbow grease didnt seem to work. I sat out there with for an hour with hot soapy water scrubbing and it wasnt coming off with any conventional means. Its not terribly bad, just bad enough to notice so i would try a 10 dollar can of cleanerif it helps.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
Nice. That is what the front of our new truck looks like. Im gonna have to pick some up this weekend for sure. Thanks!

All the bugs on the front of my grill were only on there for a week, so if yours have been on there longer you will probably need to use a lot more elbow grease than I did (which wasn't much), and may need more than one can......
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
power wash and a sponge
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA_Taco View Post
I actually used Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar remover a couple of weeks ago and it worked really well.

Here is a picture of my truck while I was cleaning it (I was plannng on writing up a review but forgot about it until I saw your post). I don't know if you can see it but the Bug & Tar remover is applied to the top bumper. You can kind of see it dripping off the bottom part, but as you can see it was covered in bugs.

Here is what it looks like after you let it set for 30 seconds and wipe it off with minimal effort.

I was pretty impressed and will defiantly buy another can. I did use a whole can on the whole front of my truck, including the windshield, grill, and hood. I was pretty liberal with it though, but my truck was also covered.
Good god! did you drive through a swarm?! Looks like that stuff works good, I'll have to pick some of that up. Seems like the Tacoma loves to splat bugs on the front! I have never had that many though. Sometimes I use WD-40, it works ok. Doesn't look as easy as that Bug Off though.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Good god! did you drive through a swarm?! Looks like that stuff works good, I'll have to pick some of that up. Seems like the Tacoma loves to splat bugs on the front! I have never had that many though. Sometimes I use WD-40, it works ok. Doesn't look as easy as that Bug Off though.
I was actually up around Yellowstone and they can't spray up there being a national park and all. It sounded like it was raining there were so many bugs hitting the windshield.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA_Taco View Post
I was actually up around Yellowstone and they can't spray up there being a national park and all. It sounded like it was raining there were so many bugs hitting the windshield.
Nasty, thanks for the heads up on the bug off and the pics showing how well they work. Going to pick some up.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
For bugs, Ive used this at my small detailing operation http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

Ive used it on everything from Ferrari 360 Modena's and Porsche 911's to my Tacoma. Its the best. Never scratches or anything.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Peroxide works great

Believe it or not comon house hold peroxide works great. It is not corrosive to paint and it eats bug protein right off any surface. Same stuff you apply to a cut to eliminate germs.

Give it try and you will see what I mean. Spray it on and let it sit for a few seconds. It will not bother your paint or clear coat. I use it on my motorcycle windshield and it works perfect.

Taco4x4nc
Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBen View Post
For bugs, Ive used this at my small detailing operation http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

Ive used it on everything from Ferrari 360 Modena's and Porsche 911's to my Tacoma. Its the best. Never scratches or anything.
I use the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Pad + Poorboys Bug Squash. This combo is amazing and won't scuff the paint at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
trapguy is on a distinguished road
trapguy's Tacoma Gallery
i use mostly duragloss products they really work as advertised, there bug & tar is the best i have seen just spray and wipe off
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
I use the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Pad + Poorboys Bug Squash. This combo is amazing and won't scuff the paint at all.
Agreed. Bug Squash is good shit. I just use a mf bug towel as opposed to a pad. Same difference though.

Products Discussed in this Thread