Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

What kind of buffer

Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
What kind of buffer

I need to get a buffer and dont know what kind to get i want one that spins around like a grider i guess.. not one that you can get at checker that just has a crappy bonnett on it ant just shakes back and forth any sugestions???
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Check out harbor freight...you can get a decent one for real cheap

Or I'm sure wal-mart has a couple to choose from...I'd get a 8" buffer with a few extra bonnets
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Check out harbor freight...you can get a decent one for real cheap

Or I'm sure wal-mart has a couple to choose from...I'd get a 8" buffer with a few extra bonnets
We have the Chicago Electric 92623 Polisher on sale for $29.99 now.

http://polishandwax.com/shop/product...-Polisher.html

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the comment about getting a DA (dual action) like a Porter Cable 7424, Meguiars G110v2 or Griots Garage machine. It's almost impossible to damage your paint (swirls, holograms, buffer marks that show up in the sun) with a DA. Problem is they cost more than the Harbor Freight rotary. Don't forget you will need a couple different polishing compounds and different pads to do a really good job.

Good selection and knowledge at autogeek.com. (Happy customer, not affiliated in any other way). Lots of other education available at DetailCity.org.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
JoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired MSgt
Name: Whip
JoePa Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful what you buy. You definitely want a DA (dual action) like a Porter Cable 7424, Meguiars G110v2. With a DA you can't really damage your finish, however, with buffers that don't have DA and are simply rotary buffers, you can easily damage your paint/finish. Also, the buffer should have variable speed controls to match exactly what it is you are applying/finishing/polishing/waxing/sealing, etc.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
BarkSlayer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
BarkSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
Back in 1982, I had a Waxcoa DA buffer that was super heavy duty and did a great job...but I never used it, so I think it went the way of a garage sale.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
I own this one (Porter Cable 7424). Love it!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT BUY A CHEAP POLISHER! You get what you pay for here. I've got a Makita Polisher, and it's the "cadillac" of polishers. DeWalt makes a nice one, too, but the Makita has a better handle, more versatile.

The Makita costs more, sure, but it's got tons of power, variable speed control, the most comfortable handle available, and it's more reliable than any other polisher on the market.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
DO NOT BUY A CHEAP POLISHER! You get what you pay for here. I've got a Makita Polisher, and it's the "cadillac" of polishers. DeWalt makes a nice one, too, but the Makita has a better handle, more versatile.

The Makita costs more, sure, but it's got tons of power, variable speed control, the most comfortable handle available, and it's more reliable than any other polisher on the market.
The Makita is my favorite. I have the Dewalt DW849 too. The Makita has a couple advantages over the Dewalt...first, it's lighter (significantly) and you can drop the speed lower than the Dewalt, which is important for finishing swirl-free on dark colors.

I also have the Chicago Electric. I can make it work, but it's not nearly as smooth and does not have a variable trigger like the other two. However, for $30, it's better than polishing by hand.

I also have the Bosch 1250DEVS. It's a forced rotation random orbit polisher. Similar to the Makita BO6040. Great tool, but kinda pricey (I paid $250), but requires less skill to operate and is much more effective than a Porter-Cable, since it rotates in addition to orbiting. The rotation gives it much more correcting ability.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
The Makita is my favorite. I have the Dewalt DW849 too. The Makita has a couple advantages over the Dewalt...first, it's lighter (significantly) and you can drop the speed lower than the Dewalt, which is important for finishing swirl-free on dark colors.

I also have the Chicago Electric. I can make it work, but it's not nearly as smooth and does not have a variable trigger like the other two. However, for $30, it's better than polishing by hand.

I also have the Bosch 1250DEVS. It's a forced rotation random orbit polisher. Similar to the Makita BO6040. Great tool, but kinda pricey (I paid $250), but requires less skill to operate and is much more effective than a Porter-Cable, since it rotates in addition to orbiting. The rotation gives it much more correcting ability.

Do you have a part number on that favorite Makita?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
x2 on the dewalt..Used it 3-4 times so far, and it works great. Just remember to change the pad after you compound your boat, then buff the gf's blue pickup
Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna get a porter cable
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
get me one too
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
scott504 will become famous soon enough
scott504's Tacoma Gallery
Auto Detailing Solutions has a full range of products.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...polishers.html
Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
I have the polisher from Harbor Frieght. It is the model with the RPM LCD readout. This spring I did my first painting HVLP painting job and used this polisher. Tape your edges, take your time, practice somewhere, and buy good polish and pads. But, you shouldn't need a polisher unless you have more than just detail work to do. If you are just trying to make the paint job look better then I agree about going with dual action. IMO, you don't need to use a polisher unless you are trying to do something like wet sand the factory orange peel off.

Usually, I would agree you get what you pay for. But, unless you are doing this all the time I don't think it is worth the investment unless you are blessed enough to have plenty of disposable income.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
Do you have a part number on that favorite Makita?
9227C.

I got mine with a free bag for around $175, free shipping on Amazon.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
so the OP has never used a polisher from what I gather..and you guys are suggesting a rotary over DA for his first machine..wow.
x2! Just get the PC7424. Almost nothing you cant do w/ it, and its very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
im gonna get a porter cable
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #18

^You most likley will never find a Porter-Cable in a body shop. A PC will not remove color sanding scratches.

They have their place, but nothing corrects like a rotary and nothing is as fast as a rotary.

You can't maximize safety and effectiveness in a polishing tool. A rotary is most effective and most dangerous. A PC is least effective and least dangerous. A technician that is proficeint in using a rotary will polish a surface in less than half of the time it will take with a PC. However, he runs the risk of going through the paint. The guy with the PC will never go through the paint.

I learned on a rotary and didn't use an orbital for years. My rotary is still my go-to tool.

I have lots of customers that are self-taught on rotaries and they do very well. Others opt for the PC or the Flex. In the end, whatever works best for you is what you should use.

The inventor of SYSTEM ONE polish and CSI polishes only uses a rotary. He's been polishing cars for 40 years. On the weekends, he does high-end detail jobs. You'll never see him using a PC.

Here's a video of him polishing a 1972 Ferrari with the Makita 9227C and CSI Ceram-X Polish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aA3X...eature=related
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
save your money and use the wax on wax off method unless you can afford a nice rotary machine.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #20
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
So the OP is trying to run a Body shop??..OP get the Makita..
^^^.

Unless this guy is going to be doing high volume, there is no reason to risk ruining the paint. To maintain your own vehicle a couple times a year, a PC is more than capable. Pair it with Meguiars 105 and 205 to correct damn near any type of swirling/hazing/etc that you can throw at it.