Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Bugs have stained my paint

Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Sigo is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
Sigo's Tacoma Gallery
Bugs have stained my paint

I've got a white 2010 double cab. It's got a couple of yellow and brown stIns in the paint from bug splatters. I've tried all of the general stff to get it out up to applying rubbing compound by hand (3m Perfect it III). Looking for any recommendations. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigo View Post
I've got a white 2010 double cab. It's got a couple of yellow and brown stIns in the paint from bug splatters. I've tried all of the general stff to get it out up to applying rubbing compound by hand (3m Perfect it III). Looking for any recommendations. Thanks.

I've got the same problem...looks like previous owner never washed the dead bugs off the front bumper. Probably will need to be buffed out. I too would like to know if anyone has a good suggestion.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
Sigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
I've got the same problem...looks like previous owner never washed the dead bugs off the front bumper. Probably will need to be buffed out. I too would like to know if anyone has a good suggestion.
I don't think it will be able to be buffed out. I've got a machine but haven't got that aggressive yet. I've tried compound by hand.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Try clay and if that doesn't work, try bug and tar remover.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
Try clay and if that doesn't work, try bug and tar remover.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
If the clar bar does not work you may need to buff it out. Do you have access to a buffer or a random orbital buffer?
I do.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
WD-40 on a clean red shop rag.........
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
I do.
Then I would start with the leastt agressive polish you have to remove the stain. I would still claybar first.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #10

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Then I would start with the leastt agressive polish you have to remove the stain. I would still claybar first.

Thx!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Just for clarification, you can't really 'stain' acrylic-urethane paint. You can contaminate it (with adhesive, bugs, dirt, etc.) scratch it (inadvertently like I have done off-road, or on purpose with sandpaper or polish, all are scratches), you can dissolve it with acid (like using vinegar), etch it (with bird poop) and you can clean it with soap, solvent or clay.

Even if someone spray paints your vehicle, it is just sitting on the surface. It is in effect a bonded contaminant.

The bug guts are also a bonded contaminant sitting on the paint surface. In general, clay is the best way to remove this sort of thing. A solvent that would break down the bug guts but not the paint would also work.

Polish will 'grind away' at the bug guts but will also remove some paint. The risk becomes polishing an area so much in an effort to get the bug guts off that you remove more paint than is recommended.

Also, if you are working on the angled area of the hood, it's easier to do damage because only part of the buffing pad is making contact with the painted surface. Thus, you have more pounds of pressure per square inch.

I strongly recommend the bug and tar remover after trying clay, being careful not to let it drip anywhere else. Then wash the area really well with soap and water when you're done and of course, apply wax.

In general, I only polish to remove scratches and oxidation. For everything else, I try to use clay or a solvent. I'm not saying that polishing won't work, I just don't feel it is the best method.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Spray-nine always worked with my old white car.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #13

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
Just for clarification, you can't really 'stain' acrylic-urethane paint. You can contaminate it (with adhesive, bugs, dirt, etc.) scratch it (inadvertently like I have done off-road, or on purpose with sandpaper or polish, all are scratches), you can dissolve it with acid (like using vinegar), etch it (with bird poop) and you can clean it with soap, solvent or clay.

Even if someone spray paints your vehicle, it is just sitting on the surface. It is in effect a bonded contaminant.

The bug guts are also a bonded contaminant sitting on the paint surface. In general, clay is the best way to remove this sort of thing. A solvent that would break down the bug guts but not the paint would also work.

Polish will 'grind away' at the bug guts but will also remove some paint. The risk becomes polishing an area so much in an effort to get the bug guts off that you remove more paint than is recommended.

Also, if you are working on the angled area of the hood, it's easier to do damage because only part of the buffing pad is making contact with the painted surface. Thus, you have more pounds of pressure per square inch.

I strongly recommend the bug and tar remover after trying clay, being careful not to let it drip anywhere else. Then wash the area really well with soap and water when you're done and of course, apply wax.

In general, I only polish to remove scratches and oxidation. For everything else, I try to use clay or a solvent. I'm not saying that polishng won't work, I just don't feel it is the best method.
good info...thx
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #14
Sigo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the input. I'll give the clay a shot.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #15

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all of the input. I'll give the clay a shot.

Let me know if that does the trick.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
v8killerturbo4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
v8killerturbo4's Tacoma Gallery
Stoner's Invisible glass cleaner will dissolve splattered bugs very easily.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 AM   #17
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
vinegar

Quote:
try some dilute vinegar
Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
gwilli is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwilli's Tacoma Gallery
Fabric Softener Sheets

I was always skeptical about this but tried it today and it really works great. I have a white 2010 crew cab and the love bugs are pretty bad here in FL right now and the front end is splattered real bad. I bought the cheap .97 box at Wally World not the expensive brand. I wet the truck down, got all the whole bugs off with my fingernail, wet the softener sheet folded in thirds and started on the leading edge of the hood. I was amazed that the bugs and guts just wipe off with little effort. Prior to this I had a white 01 x-tra cab and did the bug & tar thing and it's a lot of arm work. Works real good on the headlights & foglights too but make sure you wash them off cause it will leave a white film if you don't. My truck looks like I just bought it again.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
gwilli is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwilli's Tacoma Gallery
Stains & Clay Bar

My white 01 was left home parked under a maple tree for 2 weeks while we were in GA on a hunting trip. It had rained and the yellow leaves stuck to the hood. When we got home and I peeled the leaves off there were perfect yellow leaves now "painted" on my hood. Washing did not take it off. I almost puked. Wax didn't take it off either. I tried Meguiars 3 step paint restoration products and the stain was still there. A guy at work told me to try a clay bar which I had never heard of. It took a long time but I finally got the stains out with the Meguiars clay bar kit.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
ConnYotaMedic is on a distinguished road
EMS: Paramedic
ConnYotaMedic's Tacoma Gallery
The best thing to take off bugs and tree sap that I have found is a nice soft dry cloth and purell hand sanitizer. It won't hurt the paint and is not abrasive, unless you are using a garbage cloth. I had looked around and all the bug cleaning products are a waste of money.