LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

What to put on plastics and rubber on outside of truck?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
What to put on plastics and rubber on outside of truck?

Hi I have an '06 that spends most of the time parked in the sun. I have recently started to notice that the plastics like on my roof rack and the rubber around the back window etc. are starting to fade pretty bad. Is there anything that I can put on this to protect it, or am i just s.o.l.?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried searching, but was having trouble coming up with the right words to search.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about

2010 trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.properautocare.com/fb-1k.html

Something I saw on another forum. I personally havent tried it.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The tacoman View Post
Hi I have an '06 that spends most of the time parked in the sun. I have recently started to notice that the plastics like on my roof rack and the rubber around the back window etc. are starting to fade pretty bad. Is there anything that I can put on this to protect it, or am i just s.o.l.?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried searching, but was having trouble coming up with the right words to search.
I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. Seems to work good on rubber moldings and plastic. Both inside and outside of truck and it provides some UV protection. It is a little hard to find in stores. Check the "Ask a Detailer Thread " they talk about it there.
Bob
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
I use Aerospace 303 Protectant. Seems to work good on rubber moldings and plastic. Both inside and outside of truck and it provides some UV protection. It is a little hard to find in stores. Check the "Ask a Detailer Thread " they talk about it there.
Bob

X2 on Areospace 303 protectant. You usually can find it at Marine (boating) supply stores. Its not cheap but suppose to be the ticket.

taco4x4nc
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4x4NC View Post
X2 on Areospace 303 protectant. You usually can find it at Marine (boating) supply stores. Its not cheap but suppose to be the ticket.

taco4x4nc
x3......awesome stuff.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Thanks both of you, I may try both of those and see what works best. Sounds like that 303 is suppossed to be better than Armour all on the inside too. Thanks, again
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
printman2000 is on a distinguished road
printman2000's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the 303 website and you can search for a local store that carries it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
Poorboys World Trim Restorer at autogeek.com
Lasts longer than Meguiars Back-to-black and way longer than Armor All. 303 is highly recommended but I can't vouch personally.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
So if they are already faded will the 303 bring restore it or should i use something else to restore it to the black color and then 303 to maintain it?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Aerospace 303 on the interior since it's kinda spendy. On the exterior black rubber and plastic Back to Black is a very good choice. Put it on heavy and let it soak in good then wipe off the excess....do this a few times a year. My 07 has sat outside in the sun everyday since new and the exterior black rubber and plastic still looks dark black.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
a mr.clean magic eraser works pretty damn good to,restores the color back to plastics pieces like bumpers and fender flares