Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

bed collecting water- should i mod?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
bed collecting water- should i mod?

my allotted parking space is on a slight incline, which makes the bed collect water toward the cab when it rains.
there are two small holes up there in the floor that i thought were for draining,
but obviously they don't do the job.
i know- i drive and the water comes right out, or i can park in the other direction,
but it will happen somewhere else anyway, and i'm starting to get nasty
'hard water' stains and silt up there.

i'm on the fence about tearing up a perfectly fine 08 composite floor, do you think drilling the holes larger will be enough?
or maybe drill a big hole and install a boat plug? a drain?
my other concern is that i wouldn't want it to be in a spot where running water
is going to ruin whatever is underneath it.

worst comes to worst i'll drill a hole large enough for a black rubber tube and built a freakin gutter to channel the water away somewhere safe i guess.
anyone else tackle this problem?

and ha ha- don't tell me to get a cover....it's not my style or budget.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
just drill out the holes a bit more
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are the 'factory' holes in the proper location to drain? You could drill additional holes (small) in the center of where the water is pooling up.....just make sure you know exactly what's underneath where you drill the new holes.

Or try drilling the factory holes out a little bigger.

I wouldn't bother making them too big and plugging them up - as you'll be in there unplugging them all the time. If you don't mind doing that - then ...you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and find black plastic 'plugs'. I've purchased them for my jeep floor - I've purchased the 1" plugs. I'm not sure how much smaller they go.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
dsailer is on a distinguished road
Navy:
dsailer's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Draining

I just drilled mine out, to make them a little larger. Worked for me
Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah people really love tearing holes in those vinyl ones. i knew a guy bought a brand new snap on tonneu and some guy ripped a big whole in it. total jack assery
Old 07-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
yeah people really love tearing holes in those vinyl ones. i knew a guy bought a brand new snap on tonneu and some guy ripped a big whole in it. total jack assery
I guess it depends on where you live and who you piss off.....

I've had vinyl tonneau covers for years (since 99) and never had anyone rip holes in them.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
mine does the same, i just drive and it flows out the back, just tell your boss your going out for coffee