Notices

how much to paint a cap?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
seakayaker32 is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Richard
seakayaker32's Tacoma Gallery
how much to paint a cap?

Okay, so I don't know if this is the best place to aske the question, or not (forgive me if its not), but just bought a used cap for my 2nd gen. tacoma (5' bed) and was wondering if anyone had any idea how much it was going to cost me to get the thing painted. Not looking for anything special, just something that looks good from afar.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
KJ4WZI
Iamsir2u is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: josh
Iamsir2u's Tacoma Gallery
paint

a ball park range to do it around here(nc) would be roughly $225-$375. That's if you take out the windows. It will be more if you have them remove the windows(better paint job) or tape em up. ie..more labor.
alot depends on whether it was painted before or if it is the factory color too.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Just go to a couple bodyshops around town and get some prices. The actual price you pay will depend on how much work you want done. The cost of bodywork skyrockets when you start adding in bondo, and plastic work, so keep that in mind. But if the cap is in good condition, requiring little to no bodywork, then you should pay less than $500 for sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Painting a cap, canopy, shell, topper

Depends on where you are. Anyway, I purchased my last two canopies used. Had Maaco do the color match. First one was about 7 years ago and cost 250.00. The last one I just got a few months ago for my current Taco. This time a few bucks more 300. Nice job and the color don't matter too much. Current canopy was black and now it's a pretty silver. Maaco did a fine job although there are others out there that will do just as well.
good luck. Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
I was just pricing getting mine painted. I was quoted $450-500 by the dealership body shop. They told me of a guy that paints cars on the side. He quoted me $300. He said that he had painted quite a few of them and the $300 price was more what I was looking for.
He said he would recommend removing the side and front windows.
Did anyone else take their windows out or did they just paint around them?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I was just pricing getting mine painted. I was quoted $450-500 by the dealership body shop. They told me of a guy that paints cars on the side. He quoted me $300. He said that he had painted quite a few of them and the $300 price was more what I was looking for.
He said he would recommend removing the side and front windows.
Did anyone else take their windows out or did they just paint around them?
I've had two canopies painted. Neither had the windows removed. If I look closely I can barely make out the old paint along the windows in a few spots. While it would be ideal, the seals can get torn by removing, causing leaks. But if the guy is painting it and is willing to remove for the 300 bucks thats a great deal.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
In a perfect world, removing windows before painting a cap, car, etc... is always ideal. But honestly, it's not always necessary. I didn't remove my windows when I painted my cap (I work in a bodyshop). Nor did I need to. They are simple enough to mask, and still get an excellent paint job.