1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how much to paint a cap?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by seakayaker32, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    seakayaker32

seakayaker32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Peoria IL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    TRD CAI, Anytime Locker Mod. Modified Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb exhaust (tail pipe cut off just past the rear axle). All Pro winch bumper w/Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500lbs winch (don't knock it it was free) All Pro IFS skid plate Custom Transfer Case skid plate Old Man Emu lift Desert products chromoly uniball UCAs Rear Differential breather Mod. Front differential drop kit. Satoshi Grill Bushwhacker Fender Flares Wilschur VT series Tiregate Softopper SOS offroad concept sliders w/kick out. Cobra 29 CB
    Okay, so I don't know if this is the best place to aske the question, or not (forgive me if its not), but just bought a used cap for my 2nd gen. tacoma (5' bed) and was wondering if anyone had any idea how much it was going to cost me to get the thing painted. Not looking for anything special, just something that looks good from afar.

2. Sep 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Iamsir2u

Iamsir2u KJ4WZI

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Waxhaw, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DCLB Sport 4x4
    Leer 100r cap, Stealth mount 30" lightbar, TSB 4-leaf pack.
    a ball park range to do it around here(nc) would be roughly $225-$375. That's if you take out the windows. It will be more if you have them remove the windows(better paint job) or tape em up. ie..more labor.
    alot depends on whether it was painted before or if it is the factory color too.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 3:00 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Just go to a couple bodyshops around town and get some prices. The actual price you pay will depend on how much work you want done. The cost of bodywork skyrockets when you start adding in bondo, and plastic work, so keep that in mind. But if the cap is in good condition, requiring little to no bodywork, then you should pay less than $500 for sure.

4. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    $350-400 tops, no pun intended:D

5. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Depends on where you are. Anyway, I purchased my last two canopies used. Had Maaco do the color match. First one was about 7 years ago and cost 250.00. The last one I just got a few months ago for my current Taco. This time a few bucks more 300. Nice job and the color don't matter too much. Current canopy was black and now it's a pretty silver. Maaco did a fine job although there are others out there that will do just as well.
    good luck. Ken

6. Sep 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I was just pricing getting mine painted. I was quoted $450-500 by the dealership body shop. They told me of a guy that paints cars on the side. He quoted me $300. He said that he had painted quite a few of them and the $300 price was more what I was looking for.
    He said he would recommend removing the side and front windows.
    Did anyone else take their windows out or did they just paint around them?

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I've had two canopies painted. Neither had the windows removed. If I look closely I can barely make out the old paint along the windows in a few spots. While it would be ideal, the seals can get torn by removing, causing leaks. But if the guy is painting it and is willing to remove for the 300 bucks thats a great deal.

8. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    In a perfect world, removing windows before painting a cap, car, etc... is always ideal. But honestly, it's not always necessary. I didn't remove my windows when I painted my cap (I work in a bodyshop). Nor did I need to. They are simple enough to mask, and still get an excellent paint job.

Products Discussed in

To Top